Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

No cold water in shower (new 2022 Solitude 310 GK)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• No cold water in shower (new 2022 Solitude 310 GK)

Hello All,

I just picked up my brand-new 2022 Solitude 310 GK and hooked it up. Most things are working but the water in the shower only has hot. When I turn on the cold, nothing comes out. Hot is fine.

The bathroom sink works perfectly, as does the kitchen sink and outside shower.

I’ve checked for leaks and couldn’t find any. Left water on for a few hours and still no leaks I can find or water under rig.

if anyone has any thoughts on what this might be, I’d be grateful. Pulling my hair out.

It is a holiday so the service at the dealership is closed. We picked up the rig at the closest dealer to us, which is a 12 hour one-way drive and we have to start heading back on Monday.

anything you can advise would be appreciated as the rig is still so new to me, I don’t know all the troubleshooting locations and steps yet.

thanks in advance to all.

jonathan

That is a new one for me. I wonder if the shower valve is faulty or the cold side is not hooked up to the rest of the plumbing?

Brian
    Brian & Michelle
    2018 Reflection 29RS
    2022 Chevy 3500HD

Comment

Originally posted by Jonathan G View Post
      Most things are working but the water in the shower only has hot. When I turn on the cold, nothing comes out. Hot is fine. ... The bathroom sink works perfectly, as does the kitchen sink and outside shower. ... if anyone has any thoughts on what this might be, I’d be grateful.
      Hi Jonathan, welcome to Grand Design's (Technical) Forum.

Looking at the 310GK print GD made available to the moderators the bathroom sink, toilet, external shower, external kitchen and washer outlets are after the shower. Since you've identified outlets in that list that work it is reasonable to assume the main feed line is supplying cold water.

Brian's ( Country Campers ) speculation is where I'd start troubleshooting. Turn off the water source to the camper and the hot water heater. Open known good hot and cold faucets to relieve pressure in the system. Remove the shower faucet. To control the output of water from the lines I'd make temporary extensions using valves. (1/2" Sharkbite components. Obviously a male end to short length of 1/2" PEX to the valve. Valve shown below from lowes.com.)

Click image for larger version

Name:	valve.JPG
Views:	447
Size:	22.5 KB
ID:	88982

Install the shower water line extensions on the shower hot and cold feed lines that are now exposed. Ensure the valves are shut OFF and reapply city water to the camper. With the extension pointed so you don't get soaked (and the water goes down the drain) turn on the valve. If cold water comes out--the shower faucet assembly is defective or perhaps it's clogged? A close inspection may reveal the problem.

If water does NOT come out of the line, then that's a much more involved problem. Most likely the shower feed line is "soft" hose where it "T's" into the main feed line. Somewhere between that "T" connection and the shower output the line is pinched so bad that no water will pass. (Not very common to be that badly pinched--but it's possible.)

Good luck and please report back what fixes the issue.

Howard

Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

2017 Ford F-350 DRW, '19 315RLTSPlus

Comment

That is a great plan of attack to troubleshoot the water and see where the issue comes from.

Today is a national holiday (Canada Day) so I’ll plan to purchase the fittings and test tomorrow when they open again.

thank you so much for the detailed instructions, pictures, and time you put into it!

regards,

jonathan

Comment

Try pulling the shower valve and seeing if you can swap hot and cold (most likely screw on fittings on the back side of the valve). This is a no parts needed thing. If you get hot water on the cold side, then it will require farther investigation. I would not be surprised if you find that someone forgot to remove a plastic protective cap from one of the fittings somewhere or the cap broke leaving a "blind" disk behind.
          Joseph
          Tow
          Vehicle: 2024 GMC K3500 Denali Ultimate Diesel
          Coach: 303RLS Delivered March 5, 2021
          South of Houston Texas

Comment

Originally posted by Jlawles2 View Post
            Try pulling the shower valve and seeing if you can swap hot and cold (most likely screw on fittings on the back side of the valve). This is a no parts needed thing. If you get hot water on the cold side, then it will require farther investigation. I would not be surprised if you find that someone forgot to remove a plastic protective cap from one of the fittings somewhere or the cap broke leaving a "blind" disk behind.
            That would be my first trouble-shooting step also. It may very well just be a defective or plugged shower fixture.

Jim
            Jim and Ginnie
            2024 Solitude 310GK - 2020 F350 Dually
            GDRV Technical Forum Moderator
            GDRV Rally Support Coordinator

Comment

Well, thank you all for your troubleshooting steps. I completed most of what was listed here and found that the issue was with the shower valve itself. Basically, the valve was not letting water through from one source but the other source was fine. Ended up taking it in and having warranty replace the entire shower assembly and it works fine now.

Appreciate all your advice to try and get me up and running quickly. Thanks all!

Jon

Comment

Jonathan G Welcome to the family and the forum!

For those that I have missed in the recent past, I apologize. Life and work has been hectic, but it has taken a night in the ER with SWMBO to actually get some quiet time for me.
                Jerry and Kelly Powell, with Halo, Nash, Reid, Cleo, Rosie, and the two newest additions Shaggy and Bella..
                Nash County, NC
                2020 Solitude 390RK-R​

Comment

Working...
                X