Fresh tank filling when it shouldn't

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fresh tank filling when it shouldn't

This was mentioned in my thread about using the pump. Last October the freshwater started overflowing shortly after setting up at a campground. I had not turned the switch to fill the tank. I operated the switch a few times as I was informed it may be stuck and it began to work properly. Fast forward to a week ago, living in the rig while we wait for a house to be built. We had just returned from a change of scene scheduled camping trip. A day after returning and setting up, water was coming out of the overflow on the fresh tank. We turned the water off from the source and ran the tank down using the pump. It showed one light of four on the control panel. I turned the water back on and the one light remained until yesterday when we checked and it was at four. This was after a week of the water being turned back on and the level remaining at one light. Could the problem be with the city-to-freshwater switch? Why would it work fine and then not work fine? We currently have the source off again and we are using the pump to bring the tank level down. I will open the drain valve later to see how forceful the water comes out of the fresh tank. Where can I find one of these valves? Thanks for any input.
    Bill & Cindy
    2021 Transcend Xplor 221RB
    2021 Nissan Titan Pro4X
    SE Texas

BillinTexas -- the valve in the water pump is failing, allowing city water to flow through the pump to the fresh tank. Not an uncommon problem, unfortunately. Quickest repair is replacing the pump.

If you give GD Customer Service a call they might ship you a replacement free of charge (if you're willing to install it yourself.)

Howard
    Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

Howard & Francine
    2017 Ford F-350 DRW, '19 315RLTSPlus

Comment

I agree that it is probably the check valve at the pump.

If you wish to change the valve at the panel I believe it is a 3 way valve. I would not purchase another plastic valve maybe this would be better Amazon.com: Nigo Industrial Co. 180SS Series 3-Way (L-PORT) Forged Brass Ball Valve, Lever Handle, NPT Female, Full Port 400WOG (1/2") : Industrial & Scientific​ You would have to do a little fitting work but I think it would be worht it.

Brian
      Brian & Michelle
      2018 Reflection 29RS
      2022 Chevy 3500HD

Comment

Originally posted by howson View Post
        BillinTexas -- the valve in the water pump is failing, allowing city water to flow through the pump to the fresh tank. Not an uncommon problem, unfortunately. Quickest repair is replacing the pump.

If you give GD Customer Service a call they might ship you a replacement free of charge (if you're willing to install it yourself.)

Howard
        ​

Originally posted by Country Campers View Post
        I agree that it is probably the check valve at the pump.

If you wish to change the valve at the panel I believe it is a 3 way valve. I would not purchase another plastic valve maybe this would be better Amazon.com: Nigo Industrial Co. 180SS Series 3-Way (L-PORT) Forged Brass Ball Valve, Lever Handle, NPT Female, Full Port 400WOG (1/2") : Industrial & Scientific​ You would have to do a little fitting work but I think it would be worht it.

Brian
        What you are telling me is the city water goes to the pump prior to filling the water lines? I really don't understand the flow of the system so this would be the only thing that makes sense to me.

Howard, even after owning for two years? I would be happy to install myself. Is it a single check valve? I'm seeing the part online but know nothing about it.
        Last edited by BillinTexas; 10-08-2022, 09:14 AM.
        Bill & Cindy
        2021 Nissan Titan Pro4X
        SE Texas

Comment

BillinTexas

It depends on how a unit is plumbed--I'm wrong about your Transcend.

So below is what your panel looks like, right?

Click image for larger version

Name:	Panel.jpg
Views:	471
Size:	20.0 KB
ID:	96464

When on city water the blue lever is (obviously) pointing down.

When filling the fresh water tank or drawing water from the fresh water tank, the lever is pointing towards the Fresh Tank Fill position?

If that's the case Country Campers is correct (I'm wrong)-- there's a device on the drawing called a "winterization valve". I'm not sure if that's the actual valve connected to the blue handle or if there's another one in the line somewhere behind the panel. The drawing is not clear, but I'm going to guess it is that same valve. If the valve connected to the blue valve is allowing water to bypass it goes straight to the tank.

A snip from the drawing below may help you understand--I think it's OK based on my interaction with the GD individual that authorized the moderators to have access to these. (The "To Pickup" B on the left connects to the City Fill connector with the one-way check valve. In other words the "Winterization Valve" in the drawing is, I assume, connected to the blue handle in the pic above.)

Name:	snip.jpg
Views:	355
Size:	13.6 KB
ID:	96465

Sorry for "assuming" in my previous post--on Imagine's and other units the symptom is usually a bad check valve on the pump. I should have double-checked.

Howard
          Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

Howard & Francine

Comment

I still think the problem is a leaking check valve within the onboard pump. With the blue valve vertical, city water pressure is delivered to the water distribution system in the trailer. The onboard pump is still connected to this same water distribution system. There is a check valve within the pump that holds pressure in the system when supplying water from the tank. This same check valve prevents city supply water pressure from flowing back to the tank.

To confirm this, disconnect the input line (filter side) to the pump from the tank. When operating on city supply, no water should come out of the pump input connection. If it does, the pump check valve is leaking.

Rob
            Cate & Rob
            (with Border Collies Molly & Angel + Kitties Hazel & Elsie)
            2015 Reflection 303RLS
            2022 F350 Diesel CC SB SRW Lariat
            Bayham, Ontario, Canada

Comment

Thanks guys. I will mess with this next week. I thought the winterization valve was near the water heater but maybe not. I never have put it up for the winter down here since we go year round.
              Bill & Cindy
              2021 Nissan Titan Pro4X
              SE Texas

Comment

The city water connection and the fresh tank to pump connection share the same line. At the city water connection port there is a check valve that does not allow water pressure to go out the connection, used when using the on board pump. On the on board pump there is also a check valve on the outlet side to not allow city water pressure into the pump, also what keeps the city water connection from filling the fresh tank. If this check valve on the pump is leaking or failing then it will allow water to the fresh tank thru the pump thus filling the fresh tank.

You should have the water heater bypass valves on the back side of the water heater, they will not be at the water panel.

Also if your panel is like pictured above then you would only have a 2 position valve.

Brian
                Brian & Michelle
                2018 Reflection 29RS
                2022 Chevy 3500HD

Comment

Country Campers, Brian, yes it like the one howson shows on the Transcend. I'll have to get the pump info out of the binder we keep that stuff in and see if I can figure it out. Thanks.
                  Bill & Cindy
                  2021 Nissan Titan Pro4X
                  SE Texas

Comment

I have been told I could put a check valve on the backside line of the pump to solve this since the pump still works well. Thoughts?
                    Bill & Cindy
                    2021 Nissan Titan Pro4X
                    SE Texas

Comment

Originally posted by BillinTexas View Post
                      I have been told I could put a check valve on the backside line of the pump to solve this since the pump still works well. Thoughts?
                      I'd replace the pump (the Seaflo is an excellent upgrade IMHO which I've already done) and call it a day.

I can't find it, but somewhere here I documented this upgrade sometime ago.

Edit: Found it! https://gdrvowners.com/forum/operati...t-a-difference

Click image for larger version  Name:	pumps.jpg Views:	0 Size:	177.8 KB ID:	96534
                      Last edited by howson; 10-08-2022, 06:42 PM.

Howard & Francine

Comment

Installing a check valve in that line would be fine, should fix your issue if it does not then the search will continue.

Brian
                        Brian & Michelle
                        2018 Reflection 29RS
                        2022 Chevy 3500HD

Comment

howson, I may just do that as I believe it is probably easier connection-wise than putting an inline check valve. Considering cost, it appears a decent CV would be 1/3 the cost but like more involved parts to install it.
                          Bill & Cindy
                          2021 Nissan Titan Pro4X
                          SE Texas

Comment

Originally posted by BillinTexas View Post
                            howson, I may just do that as I believe it is probably easier connection-wise than putting an inline check valve. Considering cost, it appears a decent CV would be 1/3 the cost but like more involved parts to install it.
                            Use the pump with the failing valve to build a "pump in a box". Fun project and surprisingly useful (at least it was for me on a recent boondocking trip.) As long as the valve still opens it will work just fine for that purpose (doesn't matter if the valve doesn't close all the way).

Howard & Francine

Comment

Originally posted by howson View Post
                              BillinTexas

It depends on how a unit is plumbed--I'm wrong about your Transcend.

So below is what your panel looks like, right?

Name:	Panel.jpg
Views:	471
Size:	20.0 KB
ID:	96464

When on city water the blue lever is (obviously) pointing down.

When filling the fresh water tank or drawing water from the fresh water tank, the lever is pointing towards the Fresh Tank Fill position?

If that's the case Country Campers is correct (I'm wrong)-- there's a device on the drawing called a "winterization valve". I'm not sure if that's the actual valve connected to the blue handle or if there's another one in the line somewhere behind the panel. The drawing is not clear, but I'm going to guess it is that same valve. If the valve connected to the blue valve is allowing water to bypass it goes straight to the tank.

A snip from the drawing below may help you understand--I think it's OK based on my interaction with the GD individual that authorized the moderators to have access to these. (The "To Pickup" B on the left connects to the City Fill connector with the one-way check valve. In other words the "Winterization Valve" in the drawing is, I assume, connected to the blue handle in the pic above.)

Name:	snip.jpg
Views:	355
Size:	13.6 KB
ID:	96465

Sorry for "assuming" in my previous post--on Imagine's and other units the symptom is usually a bad check valve on the pump. I should have double-checked.

Howard
                              howson , Country Campers Howard, I have further investigated my system and it seems there is no check valve at all at the pump and only at the City/Freshwater diverter inside the pass-through. I have attached a photo of the backside of the diverter lever photo in your post. If it isn't clear enough, I can remove the plexiglass and take another pic. Basically it appears that this diverter has the check valve built inside it and if it sticks, the water goes to the freshwater tank I had been advised before to "flip" the lever several times to get it unstuck and it worked. My pump works fine so I won't be incurring that expense until necessary. I will likely add a check valve at the pump, however. Thoughts?
                              Attached Files
                              Bill & Cindy
                              2021 Nissan Titan Pro4X
                              SE Texas

Comment

Working...
                              X