Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pump Upgrade (What a Difference!)

First the why.

The OEM pump in my 2019 315RLTS made a lot of noise. Thunderous is an apt description. Some of this may be due to a mistake I made during the Soft Hose Replacement project--I used all pex instead of soft hose at the pump (as recommended in pump installation manuals). So copying Cate&Rob 's work, I converted to washing machine hose at the input and outlet of the pump, added rubber foam (stuff you put down on a gym floor...I had some so why not) and I also upgraded the pump. (I wanted a spare, anyway.)

Rob's Plumbing System Rebuild Documentation covers the nuts and bolts of this process so I won't repeat it here. What I will write is the project was easy as I already had the PEX connections, so all I had to do was insert 4ea 1/2" x 3/4" MNPT Male Adapters and 2ea washing machine hoses.

For the pump itself I chose a SeaFlo 42 Series. (For more info on the pump see http://www.seaflo.com/en-us/product/detail/12080.html ) The specs, as you can see below, are nearly identical to the OEM pump.

Click image for larger version  Name:	Pump Comparison.JPG Views:	0 Size:	180.4 KB ID:	54465

As previously mentioned I cut up a rubber pad and used it to isolate the pump even further from the floor of the RV. As you'll see the new pump is mounted vertically, so there's an additional piece isolating it from my internal battery box (yet another previous project) and the floor.

Click image for larger version  Name:	Foam Pad Small.JPG Views:	0 Size:	211.4 KB ID:	54466
    Here's what it looked like before the pump swap. Note the hard PEX lines going in and out of the pump and how it is mounted to the floor.

Also note the OEM-supplied WAGO power connectors. They made swapping the wires from the old pump to the new pump very easy--literally took a minute. I reused the previous pump's 10A fuse, too. (Note that the webpage appears to call for a larger fuse but the manual dictates a 10A.)

Click image for larger version  Name:	Pre Install (Large).JPG Views:	0 Size:	144.0 KB ID:	54467
    The reason for the vertical orientation was to ensure the slightly larger pump doesn't chafe against the wires or pex lines. If you look closely you'll see the rubber pad under the pump and on the side, too.

The zip ties are just to make it look tidy.

Yes, I can unscrew and remove the filter bowl without any problem.

Click image for larger version  Name:	Finished Install 1 (Large).jpg Views:	0 Size:	127.4 KB ID:	54468

Click image for larger version  Name:	Finished Install 2 (Large).jpg Views:	0 Size:	145.4 KB ID:	54469
    Not as elegant as Rob's install, but a travel trailer doesn't have the space given to the 5vr crowd so I don't feel too bad. (Rationalization?)

The best part of the upgrade is the dramatic sound difference. Watch the 3 minute video below and I think you'll be amazed, too.

Any questions...ask Rob.

Howard
    Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

Howard & Francine
    2017 Ford F-350 DRW, '19 315RLTSPlus

Hey no accumulator? I was thinking of adding one to my 303, my pump in my 2021 303 is not that noisy must of got lucky
    2021 Reflection 303RLS
    2019 Ram 2500 short box 6.4 Hemi
    Anderson ultimate hitch

Comment

Originally posted by Dennis66 View Post
      Hey no accumulator? I was thinking of adding one to my 303, my pump in my 2021 303 is not that noisy must of got lucky
      Not yet...maybe in the future. The Seaflo has internal diaphragms that act like a miniature accumulator. For now I'm just happy the jack hammer is gone!
      Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

Howard & Francine

Comment

I here you there my last rig was really bad for some good reason this one is not loud at all.
        2021 Reflection 303RLS
        2019 Ram 2500 short box 6.4 Hemi
        Anderson ultimate hitch

Comment

howson
          Great project documentation Howard .

A lot of the noise reduction is the new pump . . . you can tell this from the reaction of the pressure gauge.
          If some of what you are still hearing can be attributed to gauge “rattle” this can be fixed with a liquid filled gauge.
          (I am pretty good at spending your money )

Rob
          Cate & Rob
          (with Border Collies Molly & Angel + Kitties Hazel & Elsie)
          2015 Reflection 303RLS
          2022 F350 Diesel CC SB SRW Lariat
          Bayham, Ontario, Canada

Comment

howson Howard, I wonder if Zip tying the hoses created part of your noise? The other thing may be that the pump is not truly isolated as Rob's is. You could take a piece of plywood, screw the pump with isolator to it, then screw the plywood with isolation to the wall, This may help. Likewise the zip ties may not be allowing the tubing to absorb the noise completely.
            Joseph
            Tow
            Vehicle: 2024 GMC K3500 Denali Ultimate Diesel
            Coach: 303RLS Delivered March 5, 2021
            South of Houston Texas

Comment

Jlawles2 howson

Joseph makes a good point about tying the coils of hose. I don’t like the way my coils of hose “find their own path” compared to how everything else is squared away, but there is motion at the pump end that never finds its way to the other end of the hose coil.

​​​​​​​Rob
              Cate & Rob
              (with Border Collies Molly & Angel + Kitties Hazel & Elsie)
              2015 Reflection 303RLS
              2022 F350 Diesel CC SB SRW Lariat
              Bayham, Ontario, Canada

Comment

Nice job Howard as usual. You present your work perfectly as well.

Jim

Comment

howson

That is a good looking pump. I had never heard of this brand, and just wondered what made you choose it over something like a Shurflo?
                  2020 Reflection 273MK
                  2005 Dodge Ram 2500 CTD

Comment

Originally posted by Lonestar View Post
                    howsonThat is a good looking pump. I had never heard of this brand, and just wondered what made you choose it over something like a Shurflo?
                    Nothing definitive that I can point to, other than I did a lot of side-by-side comparison of specs. I didn't want to have to upgrade the wiring, induce too much pressure into the system and it had to fit in the small space available. The primary consideration was quiet operation. In addition to their claim that the pump is as quiet as an air conditioner (which I validated yesterday), the Seaflo's diaphragm setup intrigued me. If the system will perform adequately without having to add an accumulator that will be a bonus.

As always, if I come across unanticipated problems or issues with the unit I'll update this thread as it happens. So far I'm happy to report the system held pressure overnight, so no leaks. Since you're a regular here you know that's no minor feat (for me).

Howard & Francine

Comment

howson Ha-Ha. I think leaks are a problem for all of us sooner or later. I've had my GD trailer almost 2 years and so far no leaks from the flexible tubing. I'm sure it's a matter of time, and I ordered a PEX tool yesterday in preparation for the big event. I do need to start replacing that flex stuff.

The stock Shurflo doesn't seem that loud to me, but maybe I don't use it as much as others, and the location in a 5th wheel I'm sure is a little more remote than a travel trailer. It's good to know about the Seaflo.
                      2020 Reflection 273MK
                      2005 Dodge Ram 2500 CTD

Comment

What I like about a "noisy" pump is that you can hear it. If you are sitting around and hear the pump start to run and know body is using water this will alert you to a possible leak.

Brian
                        Brian & Michelle
                        2018 Reflection 29RS
                        2022 Chevy 3500HD

Comment

howson Howard,

Are there mechanical differences between the two pumps or did the db drop as a result of the flexible hose? db is on a logarithmic scale so the reduction you have shown us in db is significant.

Jim

Comment

Originally posted by MidwestCamper View Post
                            howson Howard,

Are there mechanical differences between the two pumps or did the db drop as a result of the flexible hose? db is on a logarithmic scale so the reduction you have shown us in db is significant.

Jim
                            I suspect the pump is the most significant contributor to the drop in noise level. If I had mounted the old pump on the rubber cushion and added the soft hoses it may have dropped a bit, but not as much as the whole package accomplished. I admit that's speculation since I did all the improvements at once.

Howard & Francine

Comment

howson Howard,

I'll need to remember this brand of pump. Thanks again in educating us in how to make things better.

Jim

Comment

Working...
                              X