How to service a furnace?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Scott'n'Wendy View Post
    That would depend on the furnace. Probably most out there don't have flame rods. And the ones that do, and need to be cleaned? Have a combustion or location problem.
    I clean the CAD cell flame sensor in my furnace annually.

I'm thinking we have taken this discussion WAY past what the OP was asking...lol
    Scott,

I agree. If the furnace has a flame sensor which is made of a ceramic base and a metal rod then clean it as part of the maintenance program. If its built into a ceramic igniter, leave it alone. I'm pretty sure our RV furnaces us electronic spark ignition which means it would have the metal rod type flame sensor. Correct me if I'm wrong on the ignition method used.
    Now that we have established every furnace has one and they are commonly cleaned in the home furnace maintenance business, folks can make the call on this.

I think we have also established if the furnace is hard to get to, it may be best to leave it alone. The furnace in my Imagine is buried in the kitchen cabinets with no access outside.

Jim
    Last edited by Guest; 11-04-2022, 07:58 AM.

Comment

Looking at the OP picture and having pulled a furnace in a TT, all I can say is "leave it until you have issues". The one in the TT had a mud dobber build a nest on the fan (the only reason I had to get into it). That little mud dobber nest made the furnace off balance enough to shake the whole trailer when it kicked on. The owner (GF's BIL) turned it off b/c it was so violent in the camper.

So if anyone ask about critter screens, I am 100% in.
      Joseph
      Tow
      Vehicle: 2024 GMC K3500 Denali Ultimate Diesel
      Coach: 303RLS Delivered March 5, 2021
      South of Houston Texas

Comment

Joseph,

I also use the screens. I know its not recommended where I added them after I witnessed a fridge fire long ago with a neighbors rig. Plus the GD dealer pushed them.

Jim

Comment

Originally posted by MidwestCamper View Post

Scott,

I agree. If the furnace has a flame sensor which is made of a ceramic base and a metal rod then clean it as part of the maintenance program. If its built into a ceramic igniter, leave it alone. I'm pretty sure our RV furnaces us electronic spark ignition which means it would have the metal rod type flame sensor. Correct me if I'm wrong on the ignition method used.
          Now that we have established every furnace has one and they are commonly cleaned in the home furnace maintenance business, folks can make the call on this.
          I'll just say you misunderstand me. And that's ok. We all think differently.

FYI...Lots of electronic ignition rv furnaces without flame rods.... Lots of home furnaces without flame rods. In fact...most. ATM...most are cad cell. I have been servicing flame rod systems for 20 years.

2018 Dodge 3500 6.7 Cummins w Aisin and 9 cup holders
          2021 303RLS
          Electricians were created because engineers need heroes too...

Comment

Originally posted by Scott'n'Wendy View Post
            I'll just say you misunderstand me. And that's ok. We all think differently.

FYI...Lots of electronic ignition rv furnaces without flame rods.... Lots of home furnaces without flame rods. In fact...most. ATM...most are cad cell. I have been servicing flame rod systems for 20 years.
            Scott,

I'll make this as clear as I can. If the RV furnace in which the OP is interested in doing maintenance has a flame sensor (rod type) then he can clean it. It would be acceptable to do this.

Jim

Comment

Ha ha...now I'll just say I misunderstood you...lol
              2021 303RLS

Comment

All good communication among friends.

Jim

Comment

Originally posted by MidwestCamper View Post
                  All good communication among friends.

Jim
                  Sometimes when I re-read my posts, I think it might sound combative....but I NEVER intend it that way.
                  2021 303RLS

Comment

Originally posted by Cate&Rob View Post
                    You guys have furnace service really easy . . . compared to the early build Reflections and Solitudes. On my Reflection, there is no external furnace access panel . Only the exhaust port. The furnace has to be removed from the inside. If you have ever looked behind your furnace, you will realize all the other stuff that has to be removed first.

A large part of my complete plumbing system rebuild several years ago, was getting everything out of the way or removable in the exit path for the furnace. This included relocating the gate valve pull cables to below the floor, routing water lines and wiring up and over the furnace and putting rubber sleeve disconnects in parts of the drain plumbing. The water pump, accumulator tank, TV coax, furnace ductwork and propane lines will still have to be removed to get to the furnace.

I do recall stories of dealers tearing apart interior cabinetry to get to the furnace. Not Grand Design’s best design choice.

Rob
                    Came here to post the same thing. Every time I look at the furnace I dread the idea of pulling it out.

Probably not a horrible job compared to something like an engine swap, but not something you want to have to do in a hurry.
                    John & Kathy
                    2014 Reflection 303RLS
                    2014 F250 SC SB 6.2

Comment

The video below posted by Everyday Home Repairs popped into my YouTube feed this morning. At the 3:17 mark he shows a flame sensor and how to clean it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=--A2I2s7aNw

Howard
                      Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

Howard & Francine
                      2017 Ford F-350 DRW, '19 315RLTSPlus

Comment

Working...
                      X