Clearing off branches from slides

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Clearing off branches from slides

Has anyone explored a ground based system for “dragging” a brush system over the top of the slides to clear them prior to retraction?
    Mark & Julie
    2021 GD 303RLS; GooseBox Hitch; towed by Ram 3500 SRW

No ground based system, we carry a DeWalt leaf blower and use that from the roof.
    Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

Neil Citro
    2018 Reflection 28BH Pepwave
    2019 F350 6.7L Long Bed Crew Cab

Comment

I ran across a device a while back that works with a broom that has a removable head to turn it into a broom that will sweep off a slide room roof. The device was called RV Slideout Sweep.

https://www.rvslideoutsweep.com/

As I recall, it wasn't very expensive. I don't have one so I can't speak to how it works, but it looks like it would work. Like ncitro, I use a Dewalt leaf blower,
      Don & Linda
      (and Golden Retriever "Chase" and Dachshund "Trixie")
      2022 Reflection 315RLTS Acquired August 2022, build date April 2022
      2019 Chevy 2500HD Duramax

Comment

If roof access is an issue, slide toppers greatly help this problem as well.
        Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

Neil Citro
        2018 Reflection 28BH Pepwave
        2019 F350 6.7L Long Bed Crew Cab

Comment

Toppers would be good however my 303RLS has awnings already attached and combined with our sloped roof would appears to create a flat or reverse tilt (towards the rig) to a topper.
          Mark & Julie
          2021 GD 303RLS; GooseBox Hitch; towed by Ram 3500 SRW

Comment

I carry a battery operated blower and a broom. Every time I camp under trees I get on the roof and verify there are no limbs or leaves on the slides before retracting, and run a quick inspection to see if any limbs have fallen and poked a hole in the membrane.

Odd as it may seem, I did have a roof leak from a puncture created by a falling limb on a previous TT. Falling limb SPEARED the slide roof (thankfully the slide) and it woke me sometime after midnight with the dripping water falling into a pool on the table. I was fortunate enough to be able to retract the damaged slide after going out in the rain to remove the pine needles and offending limb. I spent several hours the next morning gathering supplies and making the repair. So I have become a bit on the over protective side on inspecting there roof for damage even when traveling.
            Joseph
            Tow
            Vehicle: 2024 GMC K3500 Denali Ultimate Diesel
            Coach: 303RLS Delivered March 5, 2021
            South of Houston Texas

Comment

I have slide toppers and really recommend them, however when camping in areas with trees I do a roof inspection before leaving which also includes the slide toppers.

Brian
              Brian & Michelle
              2018 Reflection 29RS
              2022 Chevy 3500HD

Comment

Originally posted by ncitro View Post
                No ground based system, we carry a DeWalt leaf blower and use that from the roof.
                That's what I do.

If you camp out west a lot, you'll re-think slide toppers.
                USN Engineer Retired
                2020 RAM 2500 CC 6.7 Cummins
                2022 GD Reflection 315RLTS

Comment

We put our phone on video and use a monopod to video each slide top. Then if there is any kind of branch, etc will get on roof with a broom to sweep off. Or use a leaf blower if not too early in the morning.
                  Vivian
                  2018 Reflection 303rls
                  Ford F-350 diesel long bed 4 x 4 SRW
                  Demco Recon

Comment

Originally posted by Beachcamper View Post
                    We make it a point to put our phone on video and use a monopod to video each slide top. Then if there is any kind of branch, etc will get on roof with a broom to sweep off.
                    What a simple and brilliant idea, Vivian!

2017 Ford F-350 DRW, '19 315RLTSPlus

Comment

Originally posted by howson View Post

What a simple and brilliant idea, Vivian!
                      It’s also good for quick inspections and not expensive

https://amzn.to/3Xtgcuu

Vivian
                      2018 Reflection 303rls
                      Ford F-350 diesel long bed 4 x 4 SRW
                      Demco Recon

Comment

I built a long selfie stick, and while it works to view, obviously does nothing to get debris off top of slide. I then built a 7' piece of 3/4" PVC and put a nozzle at the top end, and a fitting for a water hose on the bottom. I also added a quarter turn valve on the bottom so I could control the water flow once connected to the water hose.

I simply hook up to water and wash off the top of the slide from the ground. Even though I can't see the top of the slide, I start at one end and pressure wash everything to the other end. It works great, the only disadvantage being the top of the slide is wet when you retract the slide.

While at Yellowstone last year, I was at a campsite with no water. I used a cheap tarp from Harbor Freight cut to the exact size of the top of the slide. On each end was a piece of PVC pipe with a rope attached. At the end of the stay we just pulled the tarp off one end of the slide bringing off all the small branches and pine needles that had accumulated on top of it.

I'm getting too old to climb on ladders and get on top of the trailer after each campsite.
                        2020 Reflection 273MK
                        2005 Dodge Ram 2500 CTD

Comment

So if any of you remember the Red Green show where his line was, "If the women don't find you hansom, I hope they find you handy". My friend wanted a way to clean his gutters without using a ladder. I built him a PVC tube that hooks on his leaf blower and cleans them (built like a Shepards hook).

Well guess what i use for my slides? Yes i look like Red Green with this tube hooked to my leaf blower, but i dont have to get on the roof. I clean my slides and gutters on my 5th wheel every two weeks.
                          "No place to go, No hurry to get there"
                          2019 GD Momentum 376 TH
                          2015 Dodge 3500 Cummins
                          2015 HD Ultra Classic Limited

Comment

Originally posted by Jeff Barta View Post
                            So if any of you remember the Red Green show where his line was, "If the women don't find you hansom, I hope they find you handy". My friend wanted a way to clean his gutters without using a ladder. I built him a PVC tube that hooks on his leaf blower and cleans them (built like a Shepards hook).

Well guess what i use for my slides? Yes i look like Red Green with this tube hooked to my leaf blower, but i dont have to get on the roof. I clean my slides and gutters on my 5th wheel every two weeks.
                            Could you post a picture of this handy fitti g?
                            SATA Adventurers
                            Steve and Tina
                            2021 Reflection 337RLS
                            2024 Chev Silverado 2500HD, Andersen ultimate

Comment

Originally posted by Beachcamper View Post
                              We put our phone on video and use a monopod to video each slide top. Then if there is any kind of branch, etc will get on roof with a broom to sweep off. Or use a leaf blower if not too early in the morning.
                              that is a great idea and one I am putting on my checklist for future use. Thanks
                              Kevin and Deb Reeder, 2021 Reflection 320 MKS, IS, 1050W Solar, Battleborne 400 Amps, Victron Multiplus and Solar, Renogy DC-DC Charger
                              2018 F-350 SRW Diesel long bed Platinum edition

Comment

Working...
                              X