No announcement yet.

Schwintek motor cable diagram

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Since voltage determines DC motor speed, the motor would run at 2x speed. Maybe even 2x current at startup.
    Ted
    2021 Reflection 310RLS
    2020 F350 PS,CC,LB,SRW

Comment

Originally posted by Jlawles2 View Post
      Does your multi meter have a max function? Set it to max, probe the back side of the controller plug, and hit the button.

And I trust their instructions about as far as I could throw the slide. Other than the mention of voltage on page 1, How much voltage can you put to the motor without causing damage? Would the 24V from a Kobalt burn the motor up?
      Max voltage or max current? In either case, no. My VOM doesn't support either.

I do feel the pins they state as being + and - 12vdc are correct as the wires in the factory harness are larger for these pins vs. the 3 for the Hall Effect. The label on the harness wire insulation says 2 wires 20AWG and 4 wires 22 AWG (of which they just use 3).

I don't know what max voltage would smoke the motor, but I'd sure try to stay as close as possible to 12vdc. I use 18v batteries on my power tools and will not be using that in testing the motor.
      2020 Reflection 273MK
      2005 Dodge Ram 2500 CTD

Comment

If I get a chance today, I'll run out with my meter and pull the voltage on the motor extending and retracting. Luckily both of my meter will do a max.

One meter is https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1 the other a Fluke. I find the max a nice feature when checking certain things. If you can swing it, might be worth the upgrade. Don't forget the - https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01B7RBXZ0/ref=emc_b_5_i for when you ned to put it out of harms way.
        Joseph
        Tow
        Vehicle: 2024 GMC K3500 Denali Ultimate Diesel
        Coach: 303RLS Delivered March 5, 2021
        South of Houston Texas

Comment

OK. Here are the results when plugged into the controller:

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2888.HEIC.jpg
Views:	146
Size:	65.8 KB
ID:	107198​

One direction:

Name:	IMG_2889.HEIC.jpg
Views:	150
Size:	62.5 KB
ID:	107199​

Opposite direction no change in probes:

Name:	IMG_2890.HEIC.jpg
Views:	138
Size:	68.4 KB
ID:	107200​

Note difference between pic 1 and pic 2 is the negative mark under the DC voltage indicator on the left. So that means it reverses the motor input polarity for reversing direction.
          Joseph
          Tow
          South of Houston Texas

Comment

Looks like it's doing what it's supposed to do.
            Ted
            2021 Reflection 310RLS
            2020 F350 PS,CC,LB,SRW

Comment

Jlawles2

Joseph,

Thank you. That confirms what we thought, and certainly is logical.

I can now bench test my new motor, and I'll be going forward with building my 30' emergency/test cable. Hope I never have to use it or my spare motor, but at least I'll have it. I know what it's like to be in the middle of nowhere with slide problems, and don't want that again.

I have a Klein meter but I don't think it has the feature yours does. I'll check. Out of curiosity I also want to put my Amp Clamp on the slide and see how much current it draws. It can't be much since the factory harness uses 20 gauge wires for the 12vdc.

Jerry
              2020 Reflection 273MK
              2005 Dodge Ram 2500 CTD

Comment

You can't see it, but that is a clamp meter. The wires feeding the controller are wrapped up pretty good, but I did think about current drawing each one. If you are building or built your own cable, you may be able to temp install it if the motor feed wires have enough room to let you get the clamp in place.
                Joseph
                Tow
                South of Houston Texas

Comment

You have to clamp on each dc wire separately to measure current. Otherwise outgoing and return current will cancel.
                  Ted
                  2021 Reflection 310RLS
                  2020 F350 PS,CC,LB,SRW

Comment

You can't see it, but that is a clamp meter. The wires feeding the controller are wrapped up pretty good, but I did think about current drawing each one. If you are building or built your own cable, you may be able to temp install it if the motor feed wires have enough room to let you get the clamp in place.
                    You're right, I forgot that without stripping some of the insulation off the factory cable there would not be enough room to get the clamp in. I'm not going to mess with it, I was just curious.

The cable I'm building will have room to insert a clamp, as well as pigtails on both + and - 12vdc leads at the motor to enable easy read of voltage at the motor. Again, I hope I never have to use it.
                    2020 Reflection 273MK
                    2005 Dodge Ram 2500 CTD

Comment

Lonestar

Here is a screen shot of the wiring for the Schwintek slide motor. I tried to find a link to the manual on Lippert site but could not.

Name:	Screenshot (106).png
Views:	230
Size:	250.6 KB
ID:	107318

Brian
                      Brian & Michelle
                      2018 Reflection 29RS
                      2022 Chevy 3500HD

Comment

Originally posted by Country Campers View Post
                        Lonestar

Here is a screen shot of the wiring for the Schwintek slide motor. I tried to find a link to the manual on Lippert site but could not.

Name:	Screenshot (106).png
Views:	230
Size:	250.6 KB
ID:	107318

Brian
                        Here is the link.

slide out service manual GD ver.pdf
                        2020 Reflection 273MK
                        2005 Dodge Ram 2500 CTD

Comment

Originally posted by TedS View Post
                          You have to clamp on each dc wire separately to measure current. Otherwise outgoing and return current will cancel.

Hence the comment on when the emergency cable is made. GD did a good job of tucking those up tight and wrapping them in loom.

It would be interesting to see how much current those motors draw.
                          Joseph
                          Tow
                          South of Houston Texas

Comment

Hence the comment on when the emergency cable is made. GD did a good job of tucking those up tight and wrapping them in loom.

It would be interesting to see how much current those motors draw.
                            Since it's protected by a 30A CB, and typically there's 6 ga wire used, I think it should be around 22.5 amps (if my math is correct). Would be interesting to see if the actual matches the theoretical.
                            Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

Howard & Francine
                            2017 Ford F-350 DRW, '19 315RLTSPlus

Comment

Working...
                            X