No announcement yet.

Secondary connection on slideout motor

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Lonestar I would think as long as the gear ratio's are close it would not be an issue. When you go 300:1 to 500:1 now one side needs to run almost 2x faster than the other to keep up. And if the sensor is on the motor shaft not the output shaft, when it gets out of sync physically, the amp draw skyrockets, and the controller flips out to protect itself.
    Joseph
    Tow
    Vehicle: 2024 GMC K3500 Denali Ultimate Diesel
    Coach: 303RLS Delivered March 5, 2021
    South of Houston Texas

Comment

The side with the issues is always quite a bit slower. I need to find out which motors are installed I guess to make sure I don’t have one too small. A tech for a camper place installed the motors. But I’ll see if I can get the numbers off of it somehow. Does it need to be removed to get the numbers and ratio??

Comment

One of the wiring harnesses that works says 20 on the end that plugs into the motor. The one I replaced says 30. Not sure what that means

Comment

Originally posted by AaronC View Post
          One of the wiring harnesses that works says 20 on the end that plugs into the motor. The one I replaced says 30. Not sure what that means
          Me neither. Lippert may know. A mismatched motor pair would certainly be an issue.
          Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

2017 Ford F-350 DRW, '19 315RLTSPlus

Comment

Originally posted by Jlawles2 View Post
            Lonestar I would think as long as the gear ratio's are close it would not be an issue. When you go 300:1 to 500:1 now one side needs to run almost 2x faster than the other to keep up. And if the sensor is on the motor shaft not the output shaft, when it gets out of sync physically, the amp draw skyrockets, and the controller flips out to protect itself.
            I think you are right, and I was wondering if the small difference in motor rpm (should they be different motors), not output shaft rpm, would be enough to cause the code.

Is it possible for the slide to get out of sync, putting a strain on the slide and drawing more current, and yet still have the slide fully extend or retract? I think the OP said it would work if he resets the controller after each code.
            2020 Reflection 273MK
            2005 Dodge Ram 2500 CTD

Comment

So. Quick update. Apparently these had a problem with the wall flexing and putting the gears/motor in a bind. Grand design has a kit to stiffen the walls up. Just some metal braces behind the trim on the inside. Put that on. And replaced motor and so far things seem to be working. I’m assuming it kept putting the motors in such a bind that they were going bad. I guess time will tell on this issue. But. It’s worked longer this time than before. So fingers crossed

Comment

Working...
              X