Slideout Heads on 337RLS Broken Welds

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Slideout Heads on 337RLS Broken Welds

Has anyone else had the issue of their Slideout Heads sheering and breaking the welds?

Grand Design says that this isn't their problem and LCI seems to be taking the same stance. My rig is less than two years old and I'm at a loss as to why I can't find any help with this issue.

The customer service I've received from both GD and LCI has been laughable.

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_20230228_162801.jpg Views:	0 Size:	48.9 KB ID:	106941

Click image for larger version  Name:	PXL_20230207_215917759.jpg Views:	0 Size:	82.5 KB ID:	106940

StephenK -- I've never seen that type of damage on a slide-out.
    Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

Howard & Francine
    2017 Ford F-350 DRW, '19 315RLTSPlus

Comment

Really sad neither company will help you!
      Jay & Patty Wallace
      2023 Reflection 337 RLS
      2022 Silverado 3500 HD High Country Duramax 6.6L Allison 10 SP

Comment

I have had issues with a Lippert item before. GD will usually refer you to Lippert and Lippert will usually blow you off. There seems to be a dance involved here. Once Lippert rejects the claim I have asked GD to step in on my behalf and then Lippert had agreed to fix the problem.

That should be a straightforward fix for someone with welding skills. I would look for a heavy truck repair type shop and see if they will repair it. If you have it repaired keep your receipt and submit it to Lippert for reimbursement. I would also carefully inspect the slide to see if some binding wasnt what caused the break. My guess would be that it was bad welds originally but it always pays to look closely when things like this occur.
        2021 Reflection 337RLS, 2021 Silverado 3500HD 6.6 gas. Nellie the wonder boxer

Comment

I am wondering if the stop can on the slide rod is way out of adjustment. If it is too far out the slide rod will try to pull the slide in more than it should.

Brian
          Brian & Michelle
          2018 Reflection 29RS
          2022 Chevy 3500HD

Comment

Originally posted by familytruckster4 View Post
            I have had issues with a Lippert item before. GD will usually refer you to Lippert and Lippert will usually blow you off. There seems to be a dance involved here. Once Lippert rejects the claim I have asked GD to step in on my behalf and then Lippert had agreed to fix the problem.

That should be a straightforward fix for someone with welding skills. I would look for a heavy truck repair type shop and see if they will repair it. If you have it repaired keep your receipt and submit it to Lippert for reimbursement. I would also carefully inspect the slide to see if some binding wasnt what caused the break. My guess would be that it was bad welds originally but it always pays to look closely when things like this occur.
            I was able to find a good welder who ended up fixing the issue and reinforced all of my other brackets and welds. I will be submitting to lippert and making sure the alignment is correct as well.

To this point lippert has only offered a 15% discount on replacement parts...

Comment

Originally posted by Country Campers View Post
              I am wondering if the stop can on the slide rod is way out of adjustment. If it is too far out the slide rod will try to pull the slide in more than it should.

Brian
              The welds broke and threw everything out of alignment, from what I can tell... Unfortunate that it wasn't aligned correctly when I purchased it.

Comment

Originally posted by howson View Post
                StephenK -- I've never seen that type of damage on a slide-out.
                Ya, it's pretty crazy. I'm going to spend a few hundred for a bandied weld repair and then probably a thousand or so to have a new reinforced version installed.

Comment

Originally posted by Jay HHI6818 View Post
                  Really sad neither company will help you!
                  Especially since Grand Design touts their customer service when you're buying. Turns out they are the same as every other manufacturer.

Comment

Polite persistence will pay off. My experience has been that if you present them with facts and pictures minus any hyperbole, they will come around. Lippert usually throws up walls.
                    2021 Reflection 337RLS, 2021 Silverado 3500HD 6.6 gas. Nellie the wonder boxer

Comment

Working...
                    X