Walking on slide outs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Walking on slide outs

This is a newbie question but not sure how it works. A month ago we bought a grand design 337 rls 2023 with 3 slides, the bed is one of the slides. We were told to not walk in the slides unless they were out. In a year we'll live in this full time for work that we'll travel some for. So if there are places to boondock at like a Walmart or cracker barrel etc but you can't put out your slides, how can you sleep (the bed is on the slide)? Would this be bad for your bed slide? I've heard mixed answers and really want to know from the source.

There seems to be debate on whether you can use the Schwintek type slide when its retracted. I dont think youre going to find any definitive statements on being able to use it that way.The 2 main slides should definitely be avoided unless they are out. The floor is not supported at the inner edge unless its in the full out position.
    I have never had an issue boondocking with the slides out. I even placed a strip of conspicuity tape on the rear face of all the sides just to make them more visible.
    2021 Reflection 337RLS, 2021 Silverado 3500HD 6.6 gas. Nellie the wonder boxer

Comment

Originally posted by Sueleah View Post
      I've heard mixed answers and really want to know from the source.
      The Reflection owner's manual doesn't state one way or the other. So to get a "source" answer you'll have to call GD Customer Service. I suspect they'll say to not use any type slide unless fully deployed (all slide types).

So, for what it's worth, here's my .02: do not use or walk on the floor of a thru-frame slideout (your kitchen and dining slides) unless they are fully deployed. A Schwintek can be used if fully deployed or fully retracted.

Why can I write the Schwintek is OK to use retracted? My '19 315RLTS essentially has the exact same bedroom as your 337RLS. The DW and I have slept on the bed on multiple occasions with the slide pulled in. Most times it was in severe weather conditions--pulling the slide in eliminated the thunderous noise of the rain on the roof over our heads. I've also taken "power naps" in rest areas on multiple occasions when inclement weather delayed our travel without deploying the slide.

Bottom line use of retracted slides: thru-frame=no. Schwintek = OK, but it must be either completely retracted.

Howard

Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

2017 Ford F-350 DRW, '19 315RLTSPlus

Comment

Working...
      X