295RL Slide Floor Separation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 295RL Slide Floor Separation

Apparently my forum search skills are not the greatest. I know I have seen something previously about this but can't seem to find it for the life of me.

We have a 2021 295RL and are having issues with our slide floor separating (see pics).

We've already gotten an estimate from our trusted repair facility in the area. Anyone have any luck getting this repaired and reimbursed for those repairs. Thanks in advance!

FatTonyP -- there are plenty of threads where a slide floor tore linoleum, but I can't remember seeing the damage as shown in your pictures. Any idea what caused the damage? If I'm seeing it right, the floor is disconnecting from the side walls?

I know ncitro has done floor work on his FIL's former trailer (not a GD). He'll see the tag and will (hopefully) chime in soon.

Also, a call to GD Customer Service is suggested to discuss this issue. (Are you the original owner?)

Howard
    Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

2017 Ford F-350 DRW, '19 315RLTSPlus

Comment

howson That's correct, the floor is separating from the sides. Our repair center said it's usually from too much load on the floor when retracted but my money is on the unmarked frost heaves on the ALCAN since we really don't have much there..

Yes, we are the original owners and we've had it for a little over two years. Purchased in May '21 with close to 8K miles.

Comment

The one that comes to mind was a middle half wall to floor separation similar to your issue. That owner was experiencing the staples in the paneling to cleat pulling out.
        Joseph
        Tow
        Vehicle: 2024 GMC K3500 Denali Ultimate Diesel
        Coach: 303RLS Delivered March 5, 2021
        South of Houston Texas

Comment

Originally posted by FatTonyP View Post
          howson That's correct, the floor is separating from the sides. Our repair center said it's usually from too much load on the floor when retracted but my money is on the unmarked frost heaves on the ALCAN since we really don't have much there..

Yes, we are the original owners and we've had it for a little over two years. Purchased in May '21 with close to 8K miles.
          We did do a floor replacement on my father in laws trailer, it was another brand, and the slide mechanism was attached differently (better in my GD) but I bet the box is made the same. His issue was a soft spot in the corner due to a bad seal where the wall met the floor, I checked mine and it was done much better than his. The box itself was straightforward construction. Only trick was his floor was one piece of OSB, twelve feet long which we could not source in the time we had available. We went with four pieces of 4x8 1/2 plywood (two thicknesses) and offset the seams. It was significantly sturdier than what was in there, and lighter than the OSB. We screwed 2x4s to the sides (through the holes from the trim pieces) to support the slide out and then removed the trim and floor. We laminated the new floor together on saw horses and sealed the bottom with epoxy paint, and then got a bunch of guys together to get it into place and jacked it up. I believe the walls sat on the floor (was about a year ago now), so we got new big screws to go up into the wall through the floor, along with a couple lags in a few places (his walls were framed with wood). In my reflection Grand Design put a piece of steel lengthwise on the slide between the ram and the slide floor. His did not have this so we put one in and that helped give it some support as well. It was all rock solid when we were done and we were very happy with it.

We did not have to remove or hyperextend the slide. If there is one thing the project taught me, there is no magic with how any of it is put together. If you have basic carpentry skills you are more than capable of doing as good or better of a job as how it came to you.

Click image for larger version

Name:	68445146669__308A3489-C8B1-4950-B0FB-BADE2BEC63D8.jpg
Views:	194
Size:	93.5 KB
ID:	116409

Name:	IMG_3476.jpg
Views:	187
Size:	116.2 KB
ID:	116408

Name:	2023-07-16 20.40.03.jpg
Views:	238
Size:	82.0 KB
ID:	116407
          Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

Neil Citro
          2018 Reflection 28BH Pepwave
          2019 F350 6.7L Long Bed Crew Cab

Comment

Working...
          X