Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• using schwintec slide while retracted

Hello all,
    I searched this forum about using a schwintec slide while retracted and got conflicting results. This is our 1st travel trailer with a slide, so it is new to us. We own a 2023 Imagine XLS 17MKE. Can the slide be used when retracted.
    TIA
    Bob
    Last edited by kabory64; 08-06-2023, 06:00 PM.

The interior edge of the slide box floor is supported by surrounding wall when the slide is fully extended. When the slide is retracted, this interior edge has no support underneath. Not using the slide area unless it is fully extended is the safest choice.

Rob
    Cate & Rob
    (with Border Collies Molly & Angel + Kitties Hazel & Elsie)
    2015 Reflection 303RLS
    2022 F350 Diesel CC SB SRW Lariat
    Bayham, Ontario, Canada

Comment

Originally posted by Cate&Rob View Post
      The interior edge of the slide box floor is supported by surrounding wall when the slide is fully extended. When the slide is retracted, this interior edge has no support underneath. Not using the slide area unless it is fully extended is the safest choice.

Rob
      Thank you for your response,
      I spoke with a GD tech today, he stated that it was ok to use the slide as long as it is completely retracted or extended.

Comment

Originally posted by kabory64 View Post

Thank you for your response,
        I spoke with a GD tech today, he stated that it was ok to use the slide as long as it is completely retracted or extended.
        The floor of the slide is OSB board, and if you have space between the bottom of it and the trailer floor, be careful not to step on the edge or it will break off. The middle of my slide floor is bowed and rest on the floor when retracted. I have to shim the ends, which are about 1/2" off the floor, in case they get stepped on. I've only had to use the slide retracted on one trip because of a Schwintek issue.
        2020 Reflection 273MK
        2005 Dodge Ram 2500 CTD

Comment

I am on the same boat. New to RVing and have an Imagine 2400BH, 2023 model. I have heard both sides of the argument: it is okay, it is not okay. I checked the rollers and are in full contact with the floor when retracted. Based on the above comments, I assume it is okay. I have to stop every 120 miles to charge, and family would rather cook a meal or take a quick nap instead of waiting in the tow vehicle. It is a pain in the but finding leveled ground to pull the slide out. If it doesn't have to be done. I have a slightly different question, if the slide fail, is it covered under warranty?

Comment

My feeling is the slide box is supported by the full wall contact and should tolerate being used fully retracted.
            Ted
            2021 Reflection 310RLS
            2020 F350 PS,CC,LB,SRW

Comment

When retracted, the slide floor is suspended above the main floor, supported only by its attachment to the end walls of the slide box and the rollers which are now along the outer wall of the slide box. The inner edge of the slide box is now a long “bridge” of OSB plywood not designed to support the additional weight of people using the slide space. Some owners have devised wedges to support this bridge so that they can use the slide when retracted.

When extended, this bridge is now directly over the rollers and supported for its full length. The outer edge of the slide floor is attached to the slide box outer wall for its full length and is supported by the upper and side flanges of the box now being in contact with the wall of the RV.

Every owner makes their own choices, but we stay off this unsupported plywood bridge when the slide is retracted.

Rob
              Cate & Rob
              (with Border Collies Molly & Angel + Kitties Hazel & Elsie)
              2015 Reflection 303RLS
              2022 F350 Diesel CC SB SRW Lariat
              Bayham, Ontario, Canada

Comment

doug21

What this conversation is failing to document is not all Schwintek slides have the same intended purpose. The 315RLTS' Schwintek is a bed that's built on a platform. The platform is as solid as anything is in an RV--no flex. Either all the way in or all the way out (slide in contact with the exterior wall) the bed does not move or flex. That's why, IMO, using the bed either fully in or fully out is fine.

Other slides are either kitchens or dinettes with a relatively thin plywood floor. The inner edge of that floor, when not fully extended, is suspended without support and will bend. Step on it wrong and it may break. Thus the caution to only use that slide (regardless of it's a Schwintek or thru-frame) only when fully extended.

As Cate&Rob stated above -- once empowered with information, each owner will choose to make their own determination of what's OK and what's not.

Howard
                Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

2017 Ford F-350 DRW, '19 315RLTSPlus

Comment

Working...
                X