Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Slide Topper for 25BHE?

Greetings,
    We recently upgraded to a 25BHE with a single slide out. This our first camper with a slide and we're considering whether to install a Solera 5000 series slide topper. I'm seeing conflicting information about whether toppers can be installed an XLS's generally and no information on our model specifically. I'm not sure what to make of it all so I'd greatly appreciate some direction!

Thanks,
    Mike
    ---
    Michael
    Camper: 2023 Imagine XLS 25BHE
    Tow vehicle: 2016 GMC Sierra 1500 Crew Cab SLT
    San Antonio, Texas

I think where the issue arises is the location of the top of the slide compared to the roof. If the outside slide trim is too close to the roof there will not be sufficient slope for the slide topper.

Brian
    Brian & Michelle
    2018 Reflection 29RS
    2022 Chevy 3500HD

Comment

Thanks, Brian,
      That was part of my understanding as well (though again with conflicting sources). I'd read somewhere that the slide topper needs 6" of clearance between the top of the slide and bottom of the roof trim and the the XLS line lacks enough distance. Others have suggested you only need 3". And others still have suggested you can flip the bracket upside down on the roof side the get around the issue.

To add to my confusion, some have stated the XLS series may lack a strong enough frame at the roof attachment point and I should refer to the construction diagrams to be sure. The last thing I want to do is start drilling only to find out there's nothing to secure it or it won't fit!

-Mike
      ---
      Michael
      San Antonio, Texas

Comment

cmparma

I looked at the drawings for the 25BHE (as noted in the Welcome Letter the moderators have access to view. No, I can not post it here). Above the slide, embedded in the wall, is a 1x3x190" aluminum square tube. This tube is immediately below where the gutter rail is screwed into the sidewall which holds the sides of the roof in place.

What I don't know is if that tube in your Imagine's wall is "stuffed" with wood. (GD inserts wood into the tube where they intend to attach cabinets or other structures. This is in addition to EGS. For more on EGS see https://gdrvowners.com/forum/exterio...-it-in-your-rv )

If that tube in the wall above the slide is filled with wood, that tube could, IMO, retain and hold a topper. Consult with Grand Design Customer Service to find out if that tube is "stuffed" or not.

Below is an example of a "stuffed" aluminum tube.

Click image for larger version  Name:	image.png Views:	0 Size:	900.5 KB ID:	120042

If you haven't seen it, I documented installing slide toppers on my Reflection TT here: https://gdrvowners.com/forum/exterio...all-19-315rlts It's a long thread, but it may provide more information on the process.

Howard
        Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

2017 Ford F-350 DRW, '19 315RLTSPlus

Comment

howson

Thanks, Howard. I'll take a look at that document and contact the service center. I appreciate the help.

-Mike
          ---
          Michael
          San Antonio, Texas

Comment

Working...
          X