Slide Rollers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Slide Rollers

2020 3550BH-R. FYI I had an interesting exchange with Grand Design about our bedroom slide which is comprised of the closet and bathroom vanity. In 2020 my floor plan did not have slide rollers/wear bars installed in accordance with Lippert’s OEM installation instructions (CCD-0001397 Rev: 02.20.23):

“• Rooms over 650 lbs (295 kg) (estimated gross room weight*) or over 72" (183cm) in length require rollers.
    • For rooms under 650 lbs (295 kg)(estimated gross weight*) and under 72" (183cm) in length:
    - floor rollers are required OR wear bar (Boyd 3157-XXX) or approved equivalent may be used, with plastic
    coated or painted (no grit) floors.
    * Estimated Gross Room Weight is defined as a fully-loaded room, including the room itself and its contents.”

I have no idea how much this slide weighs, but I do know the slide on my 3550BH-R measures 104”, which per Lippert clearly requires installation of rollers or wear bar. I wondered If I had had a slide failure within my warranty period would Lippert honor a repair without Lippert engineering’s change sign off or would Grand Design take responsibility? Taking a few minutes to read Grand Design forums and watching YouTube Videos one can find many slide failures, which the presenters link directly to the absence of rollers/wear bars. I did not what to be in that boat when clearly the slide on my 3550BH-R was not installed with the necessary roller or wear bar.

Additionally, we went looking at other Solitude floor plans the 3550BH, 2930RL , and 280RK which shared the same bedroom slide configuration. The 3540GK appears basically the same with a bed replacing the closet. I was unable to locate a later model 2930RL, but was able to locate a 2021 3540GK and a 2022 and 2023 280RK model at Lazy days in Nashville TN as well as a 2023 280RK model at Campers Inn here in Huntsville AL. Interesting takeaway is it appears 2020 through 2022 no rollers were installed in 3550BH, 3540GK, and 280RK, but in 2023 rollers were installed in both the 280RK units. Begs why the change to the 280RK in 2023? Could it be because of past slide failures or could it be Lippert’s 72” slide length requirement is finally being complied with? Others on this forum would have to answer whether rollers are being installed in the 2930RL for 2023?​

Grand Design would not provide any engineering sign off from lippert or Grand Design so i wonder if I am on borrowed time for a slide failure??
    Last edited by Country Campers; 01-10-2024, 08:59 PM. Reason: changed font to Forum standard

Is the slide a rack and pinion or a schwintek? In my 2018 Reflection 303rls I have a very long kitchen slide and it started bowing in the center. So much so, it crowned the main floor. Under structural warranty, GD replaced the floor of the slide (should have been thicker) and added 2 more rollers for a total of 5. Now I have had zero issues with it. Do you see any issues with the slide floor on yours? If so, might be covered by GD.
    Vivian
    2018 Reflection 303rls
    Ford F-350 diesel long bed 4 x 4 SRW
    Demco Recon

Comment

I think your questions would be better answered by GD and/or Lippert. While there are some engineers on here, I don't think any are RV construction engineers.

I can tell you that the dinette slide in our 303RLS has a slide much longer than 72" with no rollers. If that helps? How can you tell if there is a wear bar?
      2018 Dodge 3500 6.7 Cummins w Aisin and 9 cup holders
      2021 303RLS
      Electricians were created because engineers need heroes too...

Comment

Scott'n'Wendy I believe the discussion is in reference to the in wall slide systems. The reference document (https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=...O&opi=89978449) is for the in wall system not a through frame setup.
        Joseph
        Tow
        Vehicle: 2024 GMC K3500 Denali Ultimate Diesel
        Coach: 303RLS Delivered March 5, 2021
        South of Houston Texas

Comment

Originally posted by Jlawles2 View Post
          Scott'n'Wendy I believe the discussion is in reference to the in wall slide systems. The reference document (https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=...O&opi=89978449) is for the in wall system not a through frame setup.
          OK, thanks Joseph...and as Keith often says....back to my corner..
          2018 Dodge 3500 6.7 Cummins w Aisin and 9 cup holders
          2021 303RLS
          Electricians were created because engineers need heroes too...

Comment

Working...
          X