No announcement yet.

New 'clunk' while extending the slide out

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Follow up. So... few things I've learned and I hope others do as well. First off - adjusting the slide out worked. There's no longer any clunk.

-Break-

Step 1 - Make sure you put paint pen reference points for you to work with before you begin any of this.

For the adjustments that they recommend based on the measurements... USE THOSE AS A GUIDE - NOT gospel.. At first I went all in and adjusted the rail to meet the 1/4" difference Lippert recommended. In order to do that, I had to drop the floor gap quite a bit. It didn't feel right to do so.. but hey.. is what it is. Initial test after doing that removed the clunk. However, b/c the adjustment was so extreme from where it was stock that when I brought the slide in, the top of the decorative fascia inside actually touched the roof on the inside. While I resolved one issue, this clearly is not how it's supposed to be. Thinking about how it was functioning, I climbed to the roof and noticed I had about a 1/2-3/4" gap between the bulb seal and the topper at the to. Not good.

So then I went on the site to do the adjustment of the head to the inner guide rod. Followed the video and did the maximum adjustment to allow the top to come in first. It helped... but I was still down to about a 1/2" gap. This was getting quite frustrating.

This is where my inner voice of engineer vs technician comes in to play. From an engineering perspective, Lipppert shows you how things should be ideally. But that's not real life. The way things are built from the manufacturer, movement over time, etc. etc. come in to play. I then said ok... before I had a good seal, and just a tiny clunk. I readjusted everything to get back to where things were (yay reference points) and then just adjusted the front track to make sure there was no clunking noise.

All in all - I only really needed to do a very minor adjustment to the front guide rail.

I hope others can learn from me on this experience. I basically went around my elbow to get to my derriere... Good experience to know though. I learned a lot about how to adjust these things.

Thanks everyone for the help and advice. I still intend to add the reinforcement plate. I just have to machine the bolt threads as the space to work with is quite tight.

I have videos and stuff for all this, I'll put them together and post it up here. Cheers!
    Transcend 2022 265BH
    The Leisure Trails - coming soon! =)

Comment

After having slide trouble with my past Newmar and Tiffin motorhomes my butt puckers up each time I open or close a slide. With this new rig how do I know what is a good clunk or a bad clunk. I have not taken a trip yet, but I have opened the slide several times. I hear clunks opening and closing the main slide.
      Raymond and Dee Dee
      2024 Reflection 296 RDTS
      2023 Chevrolet 2500HD

Comment

Originally posted by reubenray View Post
        After having slide trouble with my past Newmar and Tiffin motorhomes my butt puckers up each time I open or close a slide. With this new rig how do I know what is a good clunk or a bad clunk. I have not taken a trip yet, but I have opened the slide several times. I hear clunks opening and closing the main slide.
        I'm not confident any 'clunk' is good. But at the same time it's not going to exactly be a belt driven garage door either.

For me it really came down to 'that's not normal'..

​​​​​ Post a video of the sound.. this is a good group of folks with a wide knowledge base.
        Transcend 2022 265BH

Comment

Originally posted by H22EG8 View Post

I'm not confident any 'clunk' is good. But at the same time it's not going to exactly be a belt driven garage door either.

For me it really came down to 'that's not normal'..

​​​​​ Post a video of the sound.. this is a good group of folks with a wide knowledge base.
          The clunks that I hear are at the final opening or closing points. I want to make sure the slide is open all the way and it is closed all the way. I need to determine if they are bad or good clunks before instructing my wife on how to open and close the slide.
          Raymond and Dee Dee
          2024 Reflection 296 RDTS
          2023 Chevrolet 2500HD

Comment

Ah... the final clunks... so...

A. That's normal
            B. Don't over do it.

Usually when we get near the final open/close point, I just try to get to the point where it's only a few "ugga ugga's" as I like to refer to them (power tool sound)
            Transcend 2022 265BH

Comment

Working...
            X