Slide seal torn

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Slide seal torn

There is no water intrusion. Could i just reposition with gorilla tape or does the seal need replacing? Thanks for your help.
    2020 2600rb

Originally posted by cruzin View Post
    There is no water intrusion. Could i just reposition with gorilla tape or does the seal need replacing? Thanks for your help.
    I'd replace the seal. Does your slide have a removal "D" (bulb) seal, or is the bulb seal integrated into the wiper seal? (GD changed what they used right around the 2000 timeframe.)

If the "D" is removable (slides down off a track), the wiper is unfortunately impossible to completely remove without hyper-extending the slide. If the "D" is integrated, the wiper and D will come off as one assembly, being secured by tape and screws from the outside. This thread may help: https://gdrvowners.com/forum/exterio...al-replacement

Howard
    Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

Howard & Francine
    2017 Ford F-350 DRW, '19 315RLTSPlus

Comment

Definately needs replaced. I did a few on mine this year on my Reflection as they were torn. I used Steele Rubber Products. Great people and great products.
      40-year Camping Enthusiast
      2022 Grand Design Reflection 303RLS with tons of upgrades
      2022 GMC Sierra 3500 AT4 CC LB SRW D-Max 3865 Cargo Capacity

Comment

Replace. Gorilla tape will not hold, tried that.

Brian
        Brian & Michelle
        2018 Reflection 29RS
        2022 Chevy 3500HD

Comment

I'd replace the seal. Does your slide have a removal "D" (bulb) seal, or is the bulb seal integrated into the wiper seal? (GD changed what they used right around the 2000 timeframe.)

If the "D" is removable (slides down off a track), the wiper is unfortunately impossible to comple​tely remove without hyper-extending the slide. If the "D" is integrated, the wiper and D will come off as one assembly, being secured by tape and screws from the outside. This thread may help: https://gdrvowners.com/forum/exterio...al-replacement
          I have no idea what kind it is. it was built March of 2019. I don't see any screws on the outside. Perhaps i should call Grand Design and ask them.
          Thanks to all.
          2020 2600rb

Comment

I have no idea what kind it is. it was built March of 2019. I don't see any screws on the outside. Perhaps i should call Grand Design and ask them.
            Thanks to all.
            You can easily tell by close examination of the "D" seal. The new style will pivot back. It's taped and screwed to the camper from the outside as one unit. There's one seal on the outside and one seal on the inside. Trivia...this seal is made by Jager.

Click image for larger version

Name:	image.png
Views:	83
Size:	692.8 KB
ID:	129944

The old style is an "H" and has rails on the inside and outside for the "D" seal. So for each side of a slide there's one "H" seal and two "D" seals. Below is what the "old" style looks like when looking at the bottom.

Click image for larger version

Name:	image.png
Views:	108
Size:	864.0 KB
ID:	129943

Country Campers (Brian) and I have discussed a plan for our own "old" seals which are the difficult to replace. What we plan to do (when the time comes) is to slice off the visible portions of the "H" seal (obviously after removing the "D" which will slide right off after removing the screws and any sealant). This will leave the inside of the "H" seal captured between the wall and slide (no harm). Then we'll install the new style on the outside. In a casual conversation with a very respected GD service field technician at the National Rally last year, the tech listened to our idea and agreed it should work just fine. FYI--I haven't done this yet (haven't needed to) and I don't think Brian has tried it either.

Howard
            Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

Howard & Francine
            2017 Ford F-350 DRW, '19 315RLTSPlus

Comment

So it looks like i have the newer type. There are 2 screws on the bottom and a bunch of staples at the top. It looks like i will have to replace the top one also but i'll probably have to take it somewhere to do this as i have a slide topper i would have to remove for that. I might buy what i need and hire a mobile tech, might be cheaper than the dealer.
              Thanks for all your help.
              2020 2600rb

Comment

Working...
              X