Slideout Topper tube bowed in the middle

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Slideout Topper tube bowed in the middle

2023 3100RD. Large slideout topper tube is bowed in in the middle to the point of rubbing against the slideout. I can hear it when the wind blows. Not pleasant. I can't see how it would roll in properly. Any suggestions on this one? Thanks

Originally posted by Jsmoline View Post
    2023 3100RD. Large slideout topper tube is bowed in in the middle to the point of rubbing against the slideout. I can hear it when the wind blows. Not pleasant. I can't see how it would roll in properly. Any suggestions on this one? Thanks
    When a Solera topper is installed (I've done them on my camper), the instructions state to unroll no more than one turn of fabric before sliding it through the awning rail. There's even a large CAUTION statement (shown below):

Click image for larger version

Name:	image.png
Views:	96
Size:	202.9 KB
ID:	131054

If your topper is the same or similar, the remedy is a reinstallation to retension the fabric.

If you can't identify the exact make and model of the toppers on your rig and assuming they came from the factory, GD Customer Service can tell you this information. Then find the installation instructions which most likely will be online. I think what you'll find is that removing and reinstalling will not be easy task.

Howard
    Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

2017 Ford F-350 DRW, '19 315RLTSPlus

Comment

Thanks for the response. I had these installed when I bought this rv new about two months ago. I have since moved out of state. Don't really want to pull it back to the dealer. Also, the topper is not tight as it sags. My concern is the outer tube that it rolls on is bowed into the camper. Seems to me over tightening wouldn't be the problem. But I'm a newbie.

Comment

Watch the tube as you roll the slide in, if the space between the tube and the slide changes, then the tube is deformed. If not, is it possible that the top trim on the slide has been deformed?

Sagging slide toppers is a never ending battle. Good luck with that, especially in rain or adverse conditions.
        Joseph
        Tow
        Vehicle: 2024 GMC K3500 Denali Ultimate Diesel
        Coach: 303RLS Delivered March 5, 2021
        South of Houston Texas

Comment

Thanks. I'll check it out.

Comment

I don't have slide toppers, but to lessen the wind noise issues a friend of mine slips a pool noodle in there. (stop gap until you get it fixed)
            2018 Dodge 3500 6.7 Cummins w Aisin and 9 cup holders
            Electricians were created because engineers need heroes too....

Comment

Can you post a picture, or better yet a short video, of the slide topper contact. This might help us to help you. I have been running slide toppers for years. And yes, they sag. And yes, they flap in the wind. But, they keep water and sun off the tops of my slides . . . and, I like that.

Rob
              Cate & Rob
              (with Border Collies Molly & Angel + Kitties Hazel & Elsie)
              2015 Reflection 303RLS
              2022 F350 Diesel CC SB SRW Lariat
              Bayham, Ontario, Canada

Comment

Working...
              X