Schwintek Slide Straining

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by howson View Post

No, nothing was stated regarding maximum weight carrying capacity nor have I ever seen any reference. There are two motors: a 300:1 and a 500:1. The 500:1 has a higher torque so I assume it's for a heavier room. If the controller is marked with 8 AMP then the motor is a 500:1. If it's not marked with 8 AMP then the motor is some variant of the 300:1 (there's been at least three different styles since the original).

Click image for larger version Name:	8 amp.JPG Views:	0 Size:	45.1 KB ID:	43243

Your idea of measuring the amperage required by the room to extend and retract I think is an excellent place to understand if the items loaded in a room are having an effect on the functioning of the room.
    howson Howard,

Thank you. The 2600RB uses the 300:1 motors where this is odd since I'm not aware of a larger slide. Perhaps some units that incorporate the bed or dressers in the slide may apply due to loading and overall mass?

Jim

Comment

Dan,
      I won't pretend that after 1 training session I'm now an expert on all-things Schwintek...but I do know more than I did last week (but I didn't stay at a Holiday Inn Express). If there wasn't this dang pandemic all of the moderators would have attended in-class Lippert Training Academy sessions by now so we'd know the right answers. But I digress.

The point is that I'm more informed than I was previously, but please verify anything I write here by consulting with a dealer, a qualified RV technician, Lippert Customer Service, or Grand Design Customer Service. (If you call Lippert have your RPO number handy!)

So with that caveat out of the way, here's my .02.

The shoe and the V-Roller are not designed to carry the weight of the room. The job of the shoe and V-Roller is to guide as the motor drives via the spur gears.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Components.JPG
Views:	5828
Size:	114.0 KB
ID:	43241
      It should be possible, with the room partially extended, to use your fingers to turn the V-Roller with some pressure (the Lippert trainer's words). If the V-Roller is locked down tight and not moving at all, the room's weight may not be carried by the lower rollers as they are supposed to do. (The Lippert trainer called this a key indicator of an issue if the V-Roller is impossible to turn.)

Since all of us have different finger strength this test is subjective at best, but I think you get the idea.

Let me emphasize again that I'm not an expert (yet!) and if something seems wrong with the room please consult with one of the expert references listed earlier.

Howard
      Thank you, Howard ......I appreciate and as always value your feedback (even thought you did not stay in a HIE last night !)

I'll have to check this out in the spring when we take it out our indoor storage. I've never stopped our Schwintek going part way out or when retracting. Maybe this will show as you shared that there is some mild weight on the rollers and that when fully extended there is the gap I mentioned. Not sure how that would be but we will see and report back in May or June......hope I remember !

Dan
      Dan & Carol
      2014 303RLS Reflection #185 (10/2013 build)
      2012 Silverado LTZ Crew Duramax 2500HD - 2700/16K Pullrite Superglide

Comment

Originally posted by Canyonlight View Post

After GDRV replaced our walls, after a number of camping trips,I thought to check the under area of the BR slide to see what roller impressions were being left. I did not see any....hmm ? I could easily see the roller mounting locations as before wall replacement but upon inspection the rollers were not and are not making contact with the bottom of the slide. There is about 1/16" - 1/8" gap with all rollers.

Do you know if this slide or rollers can be adjusted to make contact and if so do you know what is involved to do so ? As the rollers are "imbedded" mounted on top of the RV 2" wall, I do not know how to access w/o removing/hyper extending the slide. This may be above my pay grade !

Thanks, Howard !

Dan
        Not sure how GD mounts the rollers. Youtube channel AZ Expert added rollers to a Keystone cable slide room. He also has lots of videos with Schwintek systems (dude is not a fan).
        https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DrQwqJqAbS8&t=1223s
        Jonathon, Sarah, Things 1, 2, & 3 Higham
        2020 Silverado 1500
        2021 Transcend Xplor 297QB

Comment

Here is another one from "AZ Expert". This fellow is very knowledgeable, does quality work and has a great personality. This video provides an overview of the Schwintek system which if set up properly and fully supported, should not strain to operate. Also helpful to those that may end up repairing or replacing the system.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZiG-NMHh-oY

Jim

Comment

Guest -- the triple racks and clear cap were indicators the motor is a 500:1 version. The clear cap and the label are also indicators that the motor (and slide itself) are the most current version.

The main thing I got from the video was just how incredibly poor the engineering, design, and implementation was of that slideout. I don't think the root cause of the problem was due to the Schwintek--the slideout itself was the issue. For those reading this without watching the video--it is not a GD trailer.

That roller he installed to "fix" the issue is going to tear the crap out of that floor in very short order. I feel sorry for the new owners (did you see the "Sold!" sign in the window?) since they'll have no idea what they're buying.
            Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

2017 Ford F-350 DRW, '19 315RLTSPlus

Comment

Guest -- the triple racks and clear cap were indicators the motor is a 500:1 version. The clear cap and the label are also indicators that the motor (and slide itself) are the most current version.

The main thing I got from the video was just how incredibly poor the engineering, design, and implementation was of that slideout. I don't think the root cause of the problem was due to the Schwintek--the slideout itself was the issue. For those reading this without watching the video--it is not a GD trailer.

That roller he installed to "fix" the issue is going to tear the crap out of that floor in very short order. I feel sorry for the new owners (did you see the "Sold!" sign in the window?) since they'll have no idea what they're buying.
              Howard,

Good info in identifying a most recent 500:1 motor. The roller that was installed is inverted and is stationary to the floor so no damage should occur to the vinyl. The tech added the roller since the system in its original design was improperly supported.....even with the dual rack at the top. The lack of support under the slide put undo stress on the lower rack. I believe overall the Schwintek system is a fair design IF the slide is setup and supported properly throughout its travel. What would make it great is a brushless/sealed motor with a heavy duty wiring pig tail, a true lubeless design with a poly or sintered bronze bushing and a GDRV design to service the unit from outside with the slide in.

These design improvements need to be considered asap before the brand completely loses all acceptance.

Jim
              Last edited by Guest; 02-19-2021, 09:16 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by MidwestCamper View Post

Howard,

Good info in identifying a most recent 500:1 motor. The roller that was installed is inverted and is stationary to the floor so no damage should occur to the vinyl.
                Did you watch all the way to the end? The roller on the floor didn't work. He ended up attaching the roller to the underside of the slideout.

Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

Comment

howson Howard,

I'm going to assume (uh oh) that Lippert allows some independent motion between the upper and lower racks OR allows some torsion of the shaft to allow for a system that is not perfectly perpendicular (normal) to the floor throughout the slides full travel. If not, the unit as installed in the wall must be installed at a 90deg angle to the floor where the floor must not sag or otherwise not be aligned to the wall.

Were any design features discussed at the workshop?

Jim

Comment

Did you watch all the way to the end? The roller on the floor didn't work. He ended up attaching the roller to the underside of the slideout.
                    Howard,

I did see the roller that needed shimmed up higher. Not sure why he set this up in this manner but maybe he figured the roller would prevent enough stress to jump teeth on the lower rack?

Thanks for correcting me. I did not watch him attach the roller to the slide. Slide slickers?

Jim
                    Last edited by Guest; 02-19-2021, 09:52 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by MidwestCamper View Post
                      Were any design features discussed at the workshop?
                      No, nothing associated with the engineering side of the slide vs rack system (the design limits, etc).

The only mention along these lines was the difference between the rack systems designed for motorized vs non-motorized RVs. (For clarity, motorized is referencing the engine in the Class A, B or C RV. Our trailers are non-motorized RVs.) There's not a lot of differences, but the gibs being composite in the motorized vs aluminum in the non-motorized is one example.

Obviously what we deal with are Schwintek racks meant for installation in non-motorized RVs.

Comment

Working...
                      X