Announcement

Collapse

Need help?

Please include the year, make and model of your GDRV ("2019 Reflection 315RLTS") along with the make and model of the component with the issue ("Dometic RM1350 refrigerator", "Furrion FMCM15-BL microwave", etc) in your question.
See more
See less

I missed the train somewhere or GD got my Schwintek slide rollers right

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • I missed the train somewhere or GD got my Schwintek slide rollers right

    OK had fun moving the trailer on to the concrete drive to do a bit of work. Found some surprises (windows not locked closed) and I need to retrain the DW again on vocal and hand signals.

    Anyway I put the slide out as Rob Cate&Rob suggested to count the rollers so I could order some slide slickers before floor damage occurs. My 5 slide rollers are actually mounted to the FLOOR and the roller supports the slide base as it goes in/out. When fully in I still have 1/2 inch of clearance to the lower slide trim. Nothing can touch the floor. I suspect there are matching rollers at the wall (Ill look outside later).

    So did I miss something on all the slide floor damage discussions, or is this roller set up unique to my trailer and possible the 230RL? (I see it is being discontinued too)
    2018 Reflection 150 Series 220RK 5th wheel. Reese R20 Titan hitch, Steadyfast system, 2004 F350 King Ranch dually

  • #2
    Yoda
    Hi Keith,

    Confusing title for this thread . . . a Schwintek slide is supported by tracks on its sides, it does not have rollers underneath. The “underfloor driven” LCI slides run on plastic slide plates if they are relatively light and low to the floor, or floor mounted rollers if the slide contents are heavier, like cabinets, fridges, etc.

    The contact between slide box inner edge and interior flooring is likely to be with the slide about half way in at its “balance point”. Some slides have another set of “travelling rollers” on the slide and some have “travelling sliders” to protect the vinyl floor from damaging contact.

    When fully in, my slides lift clear of the floor as the outer flange of the slide comes up against the wall. At half way in, the travelling rollers are riding heavily on the slide slicker strips, which was formerly on the vinyl flooring.

    Rob
    Cate & Rob
    (with Border Collies Molly & Angel and their kitty Gracie)
    2015 Reflection 303RLS
    2014 Ecoboost F150 with Heavy Duty Payload Package
    Whitby, Ontario, Canada

    Comment


    • #3
      Originally posted by Cate&Rob View Post
      Yoda
      Hi Keith,

      Confusing title for this thread . . . a Schwintek slide is supported by tracks on its sides, it does not have rollers underneath. The “underfloor driven” LCI slides run on plastic slide plates if they are relatively light and low to the floor, or floor mounted rollers if the slide contents are heavier, like cabinets, fridges, etc.

      The contact between slide box inner edge and interior flooring is likely to be with the slide about half way in at its “balance point”. Some slides have another set of “travelling rollers” on the slide and some have “travelling sliders” to protect the vinyl floor from damaging contact.

      When fully in, my slides lift clear of the floor as the outer flange of the slide comes up against the wall. At half way in, the travelling rollers are riding heavily on the slide slicker strips, which was formerly on the vinyl flooring.

      Rob
      Is that something relatively new or limited to the smaller slides as my bedroom and kitchen are? I know my full wall slide on the prior coach had 6 rollers on the slide with aluminum plates on the floor. This makes another thing I gotta learn in my quest to master this beast. We are 7 months into this one and hopefully I can stay on this gentle learning curve. Not that the last one was so steep, but I was able to learn a lot from the trials of others.
      Jerry and Kelly Powell, with Halo, Nash, and Reid
      Pilot (Zebulon), NC
      2020 Solitude 390RK-R

      Comment


      • #4
        That's what's strange - my slide roller set up does not match your roller description. There are 5 floor mounted rollers. The rollers rid against the bottom of the slide itself. There are no other rollers or slide strips anywhere. I understand the side tracks being driven to move the slide( I cant see the track supporting the slide weight), but it needs to ride on something to support it weight. During extension nor retraction does the slide front dip towards the floor. It runs out straight and even and I don't have traveling rollers or sliders. I have looked at a lot of pictures here and at the other place and my set up does not seem to match the others. I guess I am glad it works and does not dip, etc.
        I am all ears to learn more.
        Thanks Rob Cate&Rob
        Keith

        On edit - my set up reminds me of what I had on my 01 Thor Wanderor. It had a manual slide that you pulled out or pushed in and the locked in place with slid lock bars. It had side guide rollers top and bottom and 4 equally placed floor rollers front and back. Back set was bolted to the floor, front set was bolted to the slide floor and rode on the coach floor. The slide held just a sofa bed so not much weight. It was a pain to lube.
        Last edited by Yoda; 05-17-2020, 10:03 PM.
        2018 Reflection 150 Series 220RK 5th wheel. Reese R20 Titan hitch, Steadyfast system, 2004 F350 King Ranch dually

        Comment


        • #5
          Yoda
          Hi Keith,

          I am obviously the one who is “confused” in this discussion. You are correct that a “Schwintek” slide is carried on a row of fixed rollers. I am more familiar with this being a wall mounted slide, well above the floor. I was focused on a slide “just above the floor” being driven by an underfloor system. My mistake! I was not aware that Grand Design used the Schwintek system on slides this large.

          Rob
          Cate & Rob
          (with Border Collies Molly & Angel and their kitty Gracie)
          2015 Reflection 303RLS
          2014 Ecoboost F150 with Heavy Duty Payload Package
          Whitby, Ontario, Canada

          Comment


          • #6
            Guys,

            I've never looked to see what I have but if my slide rides on a set of fixed rollers, would I still need the slickers? My Schwintek included the dinette and the sofa bed where GDRV moved away from the schwintek so special care may be needed on such a large slide.

            Also I tried to train my DW on maneuvering the camper and received some universal hand signals that did not relate to camping. Kidding. We use two cell phones or walkie talkies that have worked well for us.

            Jim
            2017 Imagine 2600RB
            2015 GMC Sierra 4x4

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by Cate&Rob View Post
              Yoda
              Hi Keith,

              I am obviously the one who is “confused” in this discussion. You are correct that a “Schwintek” slide is carried on a row of fixed rollers. I am more familiar with this being a wall mounted slide, well above the floor. I was focused on a slide “just above the floor” being driven by an underfloor system. My mistake! I was not aware that Grand Design used the Schwintek system on slides this large.

              Rob
              Rob
              No worries I am confused too. I am not sure I understand the difference of wall mounted or just above the floor. I guess from what your saying I am wall mounted as the rollers are about 1 to 1.5" tall with the slide floor being at least 3/4 inch thick. That puts the slide deck about 2.5 inches up. The TV cabinet is built such that it would stiffen this slide base. Also on the front lower edge is a roughly 3"trim piece that hides the hardware. Bottom edge of this trim piece sits above the floor about 1/2".

              I wonder if GD could give us the hardware layout or a picture of how the slide in my 220RK is set up and how maybe they set up yours. Would be good learning information. Photos from the factory of how they build a slide support would be great. On a side note my rollers squeak a lot - nothing in the manual on lubing them. Any suggestions? Wd40 would attract dirt to the roller. I cant tell if it has sealed bearings or not.

              When II get a chance I will try and get a few pictures. Right now I need to get irrigation pipe set up. We need the water badly.

              Thanks
              Keith
              2018 Reflection 150 Series 220RK 5th wheel. Reese R20 Titan hitch, Steadyfast system, 2004 F350 King Ranch dually

              Comment


              • #8
                I think Grand Design is using both forms of mechanisms. Our bedroom and kitchen slides are the "In wall slide out" and the living room slides are on the underfloor gear system (somebody have the correct name?). This sounds like an opportunity to learn since it is supposed to start raining tonight and last thru Friday, BUT (big but) our RV shelter hasn't passed the final inspection, so I have an open trench, open wiring, and more water lines to run. The good part is that I can work in the dry to try to finish this stuff up.

                As far as the dip, our Thor w/ FWS would dip for the last inch of retraction and raise up at the start of the sliding out cycle. I thought that this was normal and part of a safety mechanism. When we went to the factory service center, we found that the roller plates were not properly set and the drop was them actually coming off of the plate.
                Jerry and Kelly Powell, with Halo, Nash, and Reid
                Pilot (Zebulon), NC
                2020 Solitude 390RK-R

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by ThePowells View Post
                  ....somebody have the correct name?
                  Lippert's Master Owner's Manual for Slideouts is here: https://lci-support-doc.s3.amazonaws...0001573-10.pdf

                  The list of slideouts:

                  ABOVE FLOOR SLIDE-OUT (VERTICAL MOTOR)*
                  IN-WALL® SLIDE-OUTS (This is what we call "Schwintek")
                  ABOVE FLOOR SOFA SLIDE-OUT*
                  ELECTRIC THROUGH FRAME SLIDE-OUT
                  HYDRAULIC THROUGH FRAME SLIDE-OUT
                  F.A.S.T. TRACK® SLIDE-OUT*
                  SLIMRACK® SLIDE-OUT*
                  F.A.S.T. TRACK® FLUSH FLOOR SLIDE-OUT*

                  *These are not used on GD units to the best of my knowledge.

                  GDRV-Megan -- can you verify that the slideouts I've marked with an * are not used in any GD RV? If they are, please identify the models (thanks!).

                  Howard
                  Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

                  Howard, 2017 Ford F-350 DRW, '19 315RLTSPlus

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by howson View Post

                    Lippert's Master Owner's Manual for Slideouts is here: https://lci-support-doc.s3.amazonaws...0001573-10.pdf

                    The list of slideouts:

                    ABOVE FLOOR SLIDE-OUT (VERTICAL MOTOR)*
                    IN-WALL® SLIDE-OUTS (This is what we call "Schwintek")
                    ABOVE FLOOR SOFA SLIDE-OUT*
                    ELECTRIC THROUGH FRAME SLIDE-OUT
                    HYDRAULIC THROUGH FRAME SLIDE-OUT
                    F.A.S.T. TRACK® SLIDE-OUT*
                    SLIMRACK® SLIDE-OUT*
                    F.A.S.T. TRACK® FLUSH FLOOR SLIDE-OUT*

                    *These are not used on GD units to the best of my knowledge.

                    GDRV-Megan -- can you verify that the slideouts I've marked with an * are not used in any GD RV? If they are, please identify the models (thanks!).

                    Howard
                    Great... Now I have another 80 pages to print out and add to my manual notebook and another icon for the desktop....
                    Jerry and Kelly Powell, with Halo, Nash, and Reid
                    Pilot (Zebulon), NC
                    2020 Solitude 390RK-R

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by howson View Post

                      Lippert's Master Owner's Manual for Slideouts is here: https://lci-support-doc.s3.amazonaws...0001573-10.pdf

                      The list of slideouts:

                      ABOVE FLOOR SLIDE-OUT (VERTICAL MOTOR)*
                      IN-WALL® SLIDE-OUTS (This is what we call "Schwintek")
                      ABOVE FLOOR SOFA SLIDE-OUT*
                      ELECTRIC THROUGH FRAME SLIDE-OUT
                      HYDRAULIC THROUGH FRAME SLIDE-OUT
                      F.A.S.T. TRACK® SLIDE-OUT*
                      SLIMRACK® SLIDE-OUT*
                      F.A.S.T. TRACK® FLUSH FLOOR SLIDE-OUT*

                      *These are not used on GD units to the best of my knowledge.

                      GDRV-Megan -- can you verify that the slideouts I've marked with an * are not used in any GD RV? If they are, please identify the models (thanks!).

                      Howard
                      Thanks Howard
                      Unfortunately it does not cover the rollers (at least that I could find) Ill be reading more today. I have figured out one thing though - the slide is supported from tipping by having the upper track. So the two tracks together keep the slide level as it runs across the rollers that support the wight. They also prevent the slide from tipping in turns as other folks have seen on different units.

                      Thanks for sharing the information
                      Keith
                      2018 Reflection 150 Series 220RK 5th wheel. Reese R20 Titan hitch, Steadyfast system, 2004 F350 King Ranch dually

                      Comment

                      Working...
                      X