Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Slide out stuck in

Hi,
    I have a 2018 Grand Design 2400BH. The slide out is stuck in. When I go to extend it only one side will move a couple of inches. I found the control panel and it indicates a short in one of the motors. My question is, can i access the slide motors from the outside when the slide out is all the way in?
    Thanks
    Cindi

Originally posted by Cindi Oney View Post
    Hi,
    I have a 2018 Grand Design 2400BH. The slide out is stuck in. When I go to extend it only one side will move a couple of inches. I found the control panel and it indicates a short in one of the motors. My question is, can i access the slide motors from the outside when the slide out is all the way in?
    Thanks
    Cindi
    I don't have any personal experience with changing or accessing the motors on the Schwintek (or "In-Wall Slide") slide, so I'll leave that to others who do have that knowledge. My purpose is to point you to the resources that Lippert ("LCI"), the component manufacturer has on their website. You'll find manuals and videos that may help with your questions: https://support.lci1.com/in-wall-slide-out

This recent thread may be helpful, too:
    https://gdrvowners.com/forum/operation/slides/20793-schwintek-in-wall-slide-motor-replacement

Howard
    Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

2017 Ford F-350 DRW, '19 315RLTSPlus

Comment

Hi,
      Thanks for your response. unfortunately the manual override for the motor isn't working. I need to access the slide motor from the outside if possible. Any other suggestions?

Comment

Hi,
        Thanks for your response. unfortunately the manual override for the motor isn't working. I need to access the slide motor from the outside if possible. Any other suggestions?
        I have never done this but I have heard that the techs connect the motor to an external battery (commonly like a drill battery) and run it that way.
        Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

Neil Citro
        2018 Reflection 28BH Pepwave
        2019 F350 6.7L Long Bed Crew Cab

Comment

Hi,
          You will not be able to access the slide motor from the outside with the slide in. The outside trim and seal will not allow you to do this. Partially out would be the best. You would have access from the outside and the inside. If while trying to put the slide out you push on the side that is not working you may get the slide to move out. If you know which motor it is and can unhook it from the controller before trying this. If the power remains to the motor it can hold the "brake" on and it will not move. Getting the slide partially out will help you access the motor.

Brian
          Brian & Michelle
          2018 Reflection 29RS
          2022 Chevy 3500HD

Comment

Originally posted by Country Campers View Post

You will not be able to access the slide motor from the outside with the slide in. The outside trim and seal will not allow you to do this. Partially out would be the best. You would have access from the outside and the inside. If while trying to put the slide out you push on the side that is not working you may get the slide to move out. If you know which motor it is and can unhook it from the controller before trying this. If the power remains to the motor it can hold the "brake" on and it will not move. Getting the slide partially out will help you access the motor.

Brian
            Thanks Brian this was very helpful.
            Cindi

Comment

Thanks Brian this was very helpful.
              Cindi
              You may be better to unplug both motors if you are not sure you can push evenly with one motor running. This also may be the best method, I should have stated that in the first post. If you can not fix this you can unplug the motors and push the slide out plug motors back in and camp. When done camping dot the reverse , make sure to plug motors back in before traveling.

Brian
              Brian & Michelle
              2018 Reflection 29RS
              2022 Chevy 3500HD

Comment

Brian,
                Just to clarify unplug the motors from the controller?

Comment

Brian,
                  Just to clarify unplug the motors from the controller?
                  Yes. Unplugging from the controller will disconnect power to the motors. This will release the "brake" feature and allow you to move the slide in and out. Be careful while doing this you need to keep the slide in line and move it evenly on both sides. This will take more than one person , each pushing the same on each side of the slide. Once out or in then plug the wires back into the controller.

Brian
                  Brian & Michelle
                  2018 Reflection 29RS
                  2022 Chevy 3500HD

Comment

Originally posted by Country Campers View Post

Yes. Unplugging from the controller will disconnect power to the motors. This will release the "brake" feature and allow you to move the slide in and out. Be careful while doing this you need to keep the slide in line and move it evenly on both sides. This will take more than one person , each pushing the same on each side of the slide. Once out or in then plug the wires back into the controller.

Brian
                    Related but unrelated, if my batteries were dead or my main shutoff were off (the one I added not the factory one), does that mean there’s nothing holding the slide in? This is unlikely, but would be good to know.

Neil Citro
                    2018 Reflection 28BH Pepwave
                    2019 F350 6.7L Long Bed Crew Cab

Comment

Ok so none of theses suggestions are working. I can’t believe Grand Design doesn’t have a manual way to open the slide out to get to the motor. I need to get to the motor next to the refrigerator. We can’t reach because it closes the gap to the bedroom and we can get in. So frustrating!

Comment

Ok so none of theses suggestions are working. I can’t believe Grand Design doesn’t have a manual way to open the slide out to get to the motor. I need to get to the motor next to the refrigerator. We can’t reach because it closes the gap to the bedroom and we can get in. So frustrating!
                        I watched LCI's manual override video and in it there's a "bumper sticker" that flashes on the screen stating that short circuits are still detected. That explains why you can't execute that procedure.

Did you find the connectors previously mentioned? The only real option at this point seems to be disconnecting the electrical connection to the bad motor at the controller. Actuate the good motor (using the slide extension switch as normal) for just a moment or two. Then it's going to be muscle power to shove the other side out even with the good side. (The motor is very hard to move--this will not be easy.) Once even, actuate the slide again for a moment or two to move it out a bit further then it's back to muscle power.

This video shows a similar issue (though they were trying to get it in, not out):

Comment

Thanks I did see this video on YouTube. I get the concept there were 2 of us and it wasn’t budging.. I have a call into the dealer. Of course our trip is planned for Friday!

Comment

Thanks I did see this video on YouTube. I get the concept there were 2 of us and it wasn’t budging.. I have a call into the dealer. Of course our trip is planned for Friday!
                            Please follow-up with how the dealer gets the slide out--it will add to our knowledge base. TIA!

Comment

Hi,
                              Thanks
                              Cindi
                              Cindi.

First go to the slide controller and unplug one of the motors and very briefly run the slide out and in. This will allow you to identify which wire is ran to the good motor and to the bad motor. Once this is determined unplug the wire to the bad motor. Have a few folks push out on the side with the bad motor with the wire disconnected while intermittently overriding the controller and operating the good motor side. Do this to get the slide in a position to access the motor retaining screw that is outside and under the bulb seal at the upper side of the slide. If you manage to get the slide out to expose the bulb seal on the outside your can disconnect the motor by the following method.

From outside the rig, pull the bulb seal back and you will see the motor retaining screw. Remove this screw then from behind the flip seal that is next to the bulb seal, carefully pry the motor up and out of the bearing block. Be careful that the bearing block does not come up with the motor. If it moves up with the motor, pry it back into place while also prying up on the motor. Once this is done, go inside and with some help, override the system while a couple folks push on the side with the bad motor that you disconnected. Keep the slide straight where you can do this in short durations on the switch and while pushing on the other side. Once the slide is in a position to swap out the motor from the inside, the repair can be made.

Hope this helps,

Jim
                              Attached Files
                              Last edited by Guest; 07-07-2020, 07:47 AM.

Comment

Working...
                              X