Lippert thru frame issue on 2020 337RLS

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lippert thru frame issue on 2020 337RLS

So my Kitchen slide has started to have issues opening and closing. It will make the clunking sound when starting (either in or out) then it quiets down and moves the rest of the way fine. So, when finished retracting the slide the lower right corner of the slide is not contacting the bulb seal outside at all. I can slip my fingers into the gap and feel the slide wall. The other three corners are tight as they should be. When looking down the side of the RV you can see the slide wall bow out towards the bottom of the misaligned corner. Is the gear guide on that side out of sync with the other side? Can I fix it? Or should I get it to the dealer?

Originally posted by JLBRUSCIA View Post
    So my Kitchen slide has started to have issues opening and closing. It will make the clunking sound when starting (either in or out) then it quiets down and moves the rest of the way fine. So, when finished retracting the slide the lower right corner of the slide is not contacting the bulb seal outside at all. I can slip my fingers into the gap and feel the slide wall. The other three corners are tight as they should be. When looking down the side of the RV you can see the slide wall bow out towards the bottom of the misaligned corner. Is the gear guide on that side out of sync with the other side? Can I fix it? Or should I get it to the dealer?
    On a trailer still under warranty? I'm definitely a DIY type, but in this case I'd take it to the dealer (for a warranty repair).

If you'd like to look through some documentation to understand the slide-out system, Lippert has a wealth of information here: https://support.lci1.com/through-fra...c-slide-system

Don't get confused by "2x2" or "2x3"--that's just a size designation that doesn't change how the slide works. (All the manuals are the same for either size.)

Howard

P.S. An option, if better for you, is to call GD Customer Service and request authorization for a mobile technician to look at your slide. You'll have to pay the service fee (not labor--the fee for the person to come to you). GD will pay for parts and labor on the repair. But pre-authorization is a must! The phone # is on the home page of this forum. Have your VIN handy.
    Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

Howard & Francine
    2017 Ford F-350 DRW, '19 315RLTSPlus

Comment

Originally posted by howson View Post

On a trailer still under warranty? I'm definitely a DIY type, but in this case I'd take it to the dealer (for a warranty repair).

If you'd like to look through some documentation to understand the slide-out system, Lippert has a wealth of information here: https://support.lci1.com/through-fra...c-slide-system

Don't get confused by "2x2" or "2x3"--that's just a size designation that doesn't change how the slide works. (All the manuals are the same for either size.)

Howard

P.S. An option, if better for you, is to call GD Customer Service and request authorization for a mobile technician to look at your slide. You'll have to pay the service fee (not labor--the fee for the person to come to you). GD will pay for parts and labor on the repair. But pre-authorization is a must! The phone # is on the home page of this forum. Have your VIN handy.
      Thanks Howard, those are my go to calls for sure. Just thought there was something quick that I hadn't considered.

Comment

Slide adjustments on the through frame version are actually quite easy. I've done them frequently myself. If you're interested in attempting it, I can try to walk you through it.

And when you get a change, you might also want to lube all the slide mechanisms in addition to making some adjustments.

Jim
        Jim and Ginnie
        2024 Solitude 310GK - 2020 F350 Dually
        GDRV Technical Forum Moderator
        GDRV Rally Support Coordinator

Comment

Originally posted by TucsonJim View Post
          Slide adjustments on the through frame version are actually quite easy. I've done them frequently myself. If you're interested in attempting it, I can try to walk you through it.

And when you get a change, you might also want to lube all the slide mechanisms in addition to making some adjustments.

Jim
          Thanks Jim! I'm willing to have a go at it before playing the dealer option. How do we proceed?

Comment

Good morning. Sorry for the delay. I just finished photographing key points to make the discussion a little easier.

To start with, there is the motor side of the slide out, and the idler side. There are different adjustment methods depending on which side you're going to adjust. The motor side will have a shaft coming out through a hole in the frame, while there is no shaft on the idler side. Both sides will have a gear track. Between the two gear tracks, there will be a square shaft that connects the drive gears.

Step 1. Adjusting the idler side. Take a look at the photo below. I've identified the two bolts and nuts you'll need to loosen to make an adjustment in or out.
            A. With the room retracted, determine the amount and direction you want to move the room. For example, if you want to move it in by 3/4".
            B. Extend the room.
            C Place tape or make a mark with a Sharpie so you know the original starting point near the adjusting bolts.
            D. Loosen the two adjusting bolts.
            E. Physically move the room in the desired direction and distance you want it to go.
            F. Once the room is in the desired location, tighten the bolts.
            G. Run the room fully in and out several times.
            H. Repeat if necessary.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Slide 1 Info.jpg
Views:	756
Size:	86.9 KB
ID:	28351

Step 2 - Adjusting the motor side.
            A. Take Measurements to see the direction and distance needed.
            B. Adjust the appropriate jam nut to move the slide. Note: One nut is used to adjust the extension of the room, and the other nut is for retraction.
            C. Operate the slide several times and readjust if necessary.

Name:	Slide 2 info.jpg
Views:	769
Size:	82.5 KB
ID:	28352

Step 3. If your gear track is so out of sync that the adjustment can't be made with the two steps above, you can adjust the sync.
            A. Remove the nut and bolt on the square tube.
            B. Slide the square shaft off of the gear drive.
            C. Move the slide the desired direction and distance needed.
            D. Reinstall the square tube, nut and bolt. Note that you may have to adjust the motor side via the switch to get the tube to align properly. If you do this, you may have to repeat steps one and two again to get the slide where you want it.

Name:	Slide 3 Info.jpg
Views:	723
Size:	172.2 KB
ID:	28353
            Jim
            Jim and Ginnie
            2024 Solitude 310GK - 2020 F350 Dually
            GDRV Technical Forum Moderator
            GDRV Rally Support Coordinator

Comment

Working...