Secondary Slide Seal Install

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Secondary Slide Seal Install

I have never been comfortable with the closed gap of the slide seal when sealed to the trailer. On my 220RK is about 1/2 to 3/4 inch away and about 1.5 inches into the main seal. All of the trim screws are exposed. When driving a lot of pressure can occur in that gap.

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_0449s.jpg Views:	0 Size:	153.5 KB ID:	33280
    Typical dept to seal edge
    Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_0453s.jpg Views:	0 Size:	40.2 KB ID:	33281
    Typical gap

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_0458s.jpg Views:	0 Size:	80.4 KB ID:	33282 As can be see the trace outline of the stock seal is a ways in from the edge, There is about 1.25 inches clear to install a second seal.

So I looked around for a D seal the was adhesive backed that would work. Found this -
    Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_0465s.jpg Views:	0 Size:	109.8 KB ID:	33283
    I found a good price for a 50' roll at RVupgrades.com I wanted extra for other uses too like to seal my truck tailgate.

To prep the surface I use denatured (rubbing alcohol)

I also took before measurements on the slide gap to be sure the seal did not interfere with the original slide seal (It didn't)

BTW the stains on the trim are from irrigation water spray. I think I needs to use Dawn and white vinegar to get then off.

Last edited by howson; 10-29-2020, 08:03 PM. Reason: Fixed title per OP's request.
    2018 Reflection 150 Series 220RK 5th whee, Star White 2022 F350 King Ranch CC Long bed (HAL) (CCC 4062lbs), B&W 25K OEM Companion,. SteadyFast system, Trailer reverse lights, rear receiver spare tire holder, storage tube, sumo springs, Victron MultiPlus 12/120/3000, Solar, Custom 6K axles upgrade, and other modifications.

I started at the top (below the top seal) and followed the trim edge down.
    Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_0456s.jpg Views:	0 Size:	60.1 KB ID:	33291

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_0459s.jpg Views:	0 Size:	70.6 KB ID:	33292
    As can be seen here the new seal is well clear of where the original main seal contacts the slide.

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_0461s.jpg Views:	0 Size:	54.5 KB ID:	33293

When closed the seal almost covers the screw heads. Its coverage has also gotten better as the seal relaxes. I may go back and drill a hole at each screw head location so the seal actually covers the screw head fully - Thoughts

On tip - do not press the adhesive backing into place before you sure you have it at the right spot. It does not remove easily.

In another post someone asked if my top seal track went all the way to the edge. Mine does as the next two photos show.
    Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_0444s.jpg Views:	0 Size:	133.3 KB ID:	33294
    Right top edge. Track holding top seal is full length to edge of vertical trim

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_0445s.jpg Views:	0 Size:	62.7 KB ID:	33295
    Left top edge - Same track runs to the vertical trim edge.

One thing to check - at both ends of the top seal are a screws holding the seal ends in place. Mine had backed out quiet a ways. I took them out, put silicone in hole and on screw and tightened them snug.

Questions?
    Keith
    2018 Reflection 150 Series 220RK 5th whee, Star White 2022 F350 King Ranch CC Long bed (HAL) (CCC 4062lbs), B&W 25K OEM Companion,. SteadyFast system, Trailer reverse lights, rear receiver spare tire holder, storage tube, sumo springs, Victron MultiPlus 12/120/3000, Solar, Custom 6K axles upgrade, and other modifications.

Comment

Looks good. I will have to remember to check ours, if we ever put the slides back in before SWMBO wants to upgrade.
      Jerry and Kelly Powell, with Halo, Nash, Reid, Cleo, Rosie, and the two newest additions Shaggy and Bella..
      Nash County, NC
      2020 Solitude 390RK-R​

Comment

Originally posted by ThePowells View Post
        Looks good. I will have to remember to check ours, if we ever put the slides back in before SWMBO wants to upgrade.
        Took me a minute to work out the acronym!

Andi
        Andi
        Brookings SD
        2018 Reflection 337RLS
        2019 GMC Sierra 3500HD Duramax

Comment

Originally posted by Andi View Post

Andi
          "
          Yep that was a new one SWMBO "she who must be obeyed"

Comment

Originally posted by Andi View Post

Andi
            Andi - didn't Ken use this for Jo at Oakwood ?

Dan
            Dan & Carol
            2014 303RLS Reflection #185 (10/2013 build)
            2012 Silverado LTZ Crew Duramax 2500HD - 2700/16K Pullrite Superglide

Comment

Working...
            X