No announcement yet.

Slide out on new 2021 2500RL Nothing but a problem

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

StephenO I just lubricated both the guides and the teeth. The key to lubricating the system is to use a DRY lubricant vs a WET lube. Wet lube will allow dust and debris to adhere causing premature wear. Dry lube will go on wet, then depending on the MFG almost immediately flash to a dry (like paint).

I can see where there is a HIGH potential for galling on the surfaces as the gear track wears leading to bare aluminum in the teeth. When made, the tracks are anodized to provide a hard surface to prevent galling, with time this protection wears and the potential for galling increases.

I use https://blasterproducts.com/product/dry-lube/ or something similar. Dry PTFE spray is one of my go to lubricants for open surfaces.
    Joseph
    Tow
    Vehicle: 2024 GMC K3500 Denali Ultimate Diesel
    Coach: 303RLS Delivered March 5, 2021
    South of Houston Texas

Comment

[QUOTE=StephenO;n118822]Yarddroid

Earlier this year our slide started making more noises when retracting or extending, and even would slightly shake. After watching a YouTube video from MyRVWorks where he talks about the need for lubricating the slide and he acknowledges that the manual says not to but still says it's needed, I decided to lubricate our four rails. To be clear, I did not lubricate the teeth on the rails, just the channel above the teeth that the shoe rides in. After that though, the shaking stopped and the slide operates as it did when we got it.[/QUOTE

Oh! Ok then! This is helpful.

I think the system is probably ok in design but needs some TLC and perhaps a bit of install correction. I read that an 1” gap at the bottom is within specs…however my CDO (OCD in alphabetical order you know…) will probably kick in… this winter :-)

Comment

Originally posted by Jlawles2 View Post
        StephenO I just lubricated both the guides and the teeth. The key to lubricating the system is to use a DRY lubricant vs a WET lube. Wet lube will allow dust and debris to adhere causing premature wear. Dry lube will go on wet, then depending on the MFG almost immediately flash to a dry (like paint).

I can see where there is a HIGH potential for galling on the surfaces as the gear track wears leading to bare aluminum in the teeth. When made, the tracks are anodized to provide a hard surface to prevent galling, with time this protection wears and the potential for galling increases.

I use https://blasterproducts.com/product/dry-lube/ or something similar. Dry PTFE spray is one of my go to lubricants for open surfaces.
        thanks for the link! I use their products for breaking rusted bolts loose. Good stuff!

Comment

Good catch Jlawles2 on the dry lube, I should have mentioned that part. For the record though, I did use a PTFE based lubricant
          2019 Imagine 2400BH
          2019 F150 XLT Super Crew, EcoBoost, 6.5' box, Max tow package with 3.55 ratio

Comment

We have 2020 Reflection 28BH Fifth wheel and have nothing but issues with the main slide. Very first time we took out, the slide wouldn't close in our yard. After calling GD tech support, this is when I learned of the manual override button on the slide module. I've had to use multiple times in order to get slide in. Two weeks ago I couldn't get the slide to open at campground. I tried twice to autolevel with no success. Ended up camping whole weekend without slide out.
            Towed the 4 hours home and parked 5th wheel in yard, did autolevel and behold - the slide opened! I have not tried closing it yet, but hopefully I won't need to use the manual override as the button fell off of module. Has that happened to anyone else? I'm going to call GD and hopefully they cover under warranty. Having to guess if the slide will open/close each trip makes me want to sell and pack it in.

Comment

HoagieAK -- the slide's issues won't get better by itself, that's for sure. Based on what I've personally seen (and read here on the forum) it won't be a surprise if there's an installation issue on the Schwintek slide mechanism.

May not sound helpful, but the only advice I can provide is "patient persistence" when talking with GD Customer Service. Consider calling Lippert, too, the slide OEM. They will want the RPO number which is on a white sticker that's somewhere on the slide mechanism itself (most likely hidden behind a seal). Lippert's info is here: https://support.lci1.com/contact

Howard
              Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

2017 Ford F-350 DRW, '19 315RLTSPlus

Comment

howson Trying to avoid another call to GD, but you are probably right - I'll need to re-engage them. Thanks for the response and I'll update the forum after I resolve issue.

Comment

Just a quick update. I tried all the tricks that Lippert had offered to fix my slide. Had an RV tech look at it. Mostly they all suggested all new mechanism.

I was afraid it would just be a repeat with a lot of money spent on mechanism parts.
                  So I decided to put the Vroom system in. Couldn’t be happier. Slide works properly. I can stop it and start it at any time during operation of the slide. It squared up the slide and it’s tight all the way around when retracted.

Expensive (1500$ more than the replacing the Lippert system) but it works properly and I don’t have to be worrying about the thing anymore.
                  Thanks for all the suggestions, support, and reading s offered!

Comment

Working...
                  X