2022 260RD slide sags in middle and rubs linoleum

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2022 260RD slide sags in middle and rubs linoleum

I've read a couple of other posts about similar issues, most notably the 6 pages of posts from 7-28-2019 titled "2018 303rls kitchen slide denting-tearing flooring." I’ve also read about the use of slickers and adding slim objects (plastic, carpet, etc.) underneath the slide to protect the floor, but that seems it should be a stop gap measure and not what we should expect to live with long term. I was hoping to get some updated opinions from anyone that had their bowing slide floor repaired. I'd rather catch this problem early before it actually damages the floor.

The 260RD does not have either rollers or "skiis" under the slide floor itself, at least as far as I can tell. Just the rollers along the floor at the exterior wall. There appear to be sufficient rollers across the wall entry and spaced reasonably.

There is about 1/2" space between the bottom of the slide floor and the linoleum on the main floor at both ends (rear and forward) of the slide. But there's about a 2' section in the middle at which the floor of the slide sags just enough on the front edge that it's making contact with the linoleum as the slide is retracted into the trailer. I'd just be guessing, but I don't think that middle section is making contact the during the entire travel of the slide, just the last foot or so as it comes in.

As you can see from the 2nd photo, the two pieces of paper under the slide show the closest towards the middle the paper slides before there is no more room.

The trailer goes into the dealer for its first visit to fix some warranty items (all minor except this one) and I’d kind of like to have my mind made up on what the correct fix is before I get there. I'm really hoping it's not as difficult a fix as I'm thinking.

Click image for larger version

Name:	End of slide.jpg
Views:	716
Size:	19.2 KB
ID:	75604

Click image for larger version

Name:	Slide retracted.jpg
Views:	440
Size:	32.4 KB
ID:	75605
    Mike and Rebecca
    2022 Reflection 150 260RD, October 2021 build date.
    2001 Chev 2500 HD 8.1 liter 4x4

Mike,

I'm not a slide out expert by any means. I know Rob Cate&Rob uses some floor protectors when running his slides in and out. Please let us know what the solution is when you get to the bottom of it.

Jim
    Jim and Ginnie
    2024 Solitude 310GK - 2020 F350 Dually
    GDRV Technical Forum Moderator
    GDRV Rally Support Coordinator

Comment

Will do TucsonJim . It's hard to want to ignore something I know will be a problem long term. On the other hand, my mind is thinking there's only light contact being made and maybe it won't be a big deal. But plywood (or whatever the floor of the slide is made of) rubbing on the linoleum can't be good. I'll report back what the dealer says.
      Mike and Rebecca

Comment

Hi Mike & Rebecca,

I kind of lost track of Jim's tag to me on this discussion. The "fix" for this is either 1) use protective strips in the contact areas . . . or 2) have the slide box removed for reinforcement of the floor area. We have used solution 1 for years and amongst all the things to be done when getting ready to tow, we don't find this too onerous an addition to the list. Solution 2 has been accomplished by some owners (with mixed success) but this is a fix best done at the factory repair centre in Indiana. I would (personally) never let a dealer attempt this type of repair and most dealers would never even offer to try.

The most likely contact point is when the slide is about half way in. This is the "balance point" on the row of rollers and the slide transfers from tipping out to tipping in as it travels inward. As the slide draws up against the main wall of the trailer, it lifts away from the floor.

Rob
        Cate & Rob
        (with Border Collies Molly & Angel + Kitties Hazel & Elsie)
        2015 Reflection 303RLS
        2022 F350 Diesel CC SB SRW Lariat
        Bayham, Ontario, Canada

Comment

Great timing Cate&Rob ! I was just coming to the forum to do some more research on slide outs. We used our trailer for the first time last weekend to try to spot any other repair issues before the first warranty trip to the dealer yesterday. And an odd thing happened - what used to be full contact between the slide floor and the main floor was wider now. Before, I was not able to slide a normal piece of paper between the two. But when we brought the slide in yesterday, I left a thin rug on the floor (carpet side down on the linoleum) per "fix" #1 in your reply. After the slide was fully in, I tried to move the carpet jsut for fun, and there WAS a little movement. The carpet was not stuck between the two as I expected. And the carpet is certainly thicker than the piece of paper I used prior. So, by all appearances there was not as much (if any) contact between the slide floor and the main floor as there was before. At least that time.

So now I'm wondering if another issue is related - on the exterior of the trailer the lower edge of the slide out is clearly further away from the trailer side wall than the top is. There's not a huge difference, but it's clear visually. I'm guessing maybe an inch to an inch and a half difference top to bottom. When I was delivering the trailer to the dealer yesterday, I showed the Service Manager and asked, "is that normal for the lower part of the slide to be further out than the top?" The Service Manager's immediate response was "no, that's not normal." Now I'm wondering if the lower edge of the slide is a couple of inches further from the side wall than the top of the slide then maybe the entire slide is tilting downward? And if the bottom of the slide were flush to the trailer side wall, then it might pick the lower edge up with it? Just a thought I was coming here to explore.

I didn't like the Service Manager's answer which was that the slide motors must be out of sync. It wasn't until I got home that I realized I don't think that makes sense. The slide motors are on top and if they are out of sync that would only alter the left to right alignment of the slide and not top to bottom. I'm thinking the only way the top to bottom of the slide is out of alignment is if the lower gears are making contact with the Lower Gear Rack in a way that is not perfectly vertical with the gears and Upper Gear Rack.

Thanks for the follow you! This group is amazing. We loved our short weekend in the new trailer and have already booked about 8 weeks on the road this summer. The "luxury" of this Grand Design compared to our old trailer is very noticeable. And we loved our old trailer. Sitting in my reclined couch seat and watching a movie on the big screen Sunday night I was thinking "yep! This is pretty nice!"
          Mike and Rebecca

Comment

Mike & Rebecca

When I was describing the slide tipping over the balance point . . . I was thinking of a slide with under floor drive. This is not the same for a Schwintek drive . . . which you have. The Schwintek is more linear, but needs to be driving the slide parallel to the inside floor. From what you describe, yours may not be doing this. You are correct that "out of sync" refers to left/right, not top/bottom. If the slide does not come in vertically parallel to the outside wall, the upper and lower racks are probably a few teeth different from one another. Your dealer "should" be able to reset this . . . but, blaming the problem on "out of sync" has me wondering.

Rob
            Cate & Rob
            (with Border Collies Molly & Angel + Kitties Hazel & Elsie)
            2015 Reflection 303RLS
            2022 F350 Diesel CC SB SRW Lariat
            Bayham, Ontario, Canada

Comment

Originally posted by Cate&Rob View Post
              Mike & Rebecca

When I was describing the slide tipping over the balance point . . . I was thinking of a slide with under floor drive. This is not the same for a Schwintek drive . . . which you have. The Schwintek is more linear, but needs to be driving the slide parallel to the inside floor. From what you describe, yours may not be doing this. You are correct that "out of sync" refers to left/right, not top/bottom. If the slide does not come in vertically parallel to the outside wall, the upper and lower racks are probably a few teeth different from one another. Your dealer "should" be able to reset this . . . but, blaming the problem on "out of sync" has me wondering.

Rob
              Understood! I think I'll focus on the slide rack alignment issue with the dealer first, as that will likely alter the floor issue. Love the trailer but definitely missing the metal beam supported, hydraulicly driven slide of the old trailer. Seems that system is bullet proof and has a practical manual override procedure. Thanks for the help!
              Mike and Rebecca

Comment

Working...
              X