Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Gap at Bottom Corners of Schwintek (Bug Door!)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gap at Bottom Corners of Schwintek (Bug Door!)

Yet another item on my "To Do" list (hopefully) completed.

The issue was the bottom corners of the slide, when extended, left a noticeable gap that was easy to see when looking underneath.

Click image for larger version  Name:	Bug Door 1.JPG Views:	4 Size:	88.9 KB ID:	80106

While at the RVSA school I looked at a classmate's slides and their Schwinteks had a foam seal on the outside that closed off this area. I tried to duplicate what I remember and failed miserably.

Yesterday it dawned on me to attempt sealing from the inside, since that is how slides normally close off the interior from the outside environment (usually via a bulb seal).

What I used is Air Conditioner Weatherseal. Easy to cut to size and trim to fit over the lower rail of the Schwintek.

Click image for larger version  Name:	Bug Door 2.JPG Views:	4 Size:	141.7 KB ID:	80107

The foam floats just above the floor. When the slide closes the foam it squishes into the gap. Initially some protruded out into the room which I trimmed flush. Unless you're looking for it the foam is not noticeable. The truly OCD could stain the foam brown and then it really would not be seen.

Click image for larger version  Name:	Bug Door Closed.JPG Views:	4 Size:	82.2 KB ID:	80108

I'd post a follow-up picture of the gap...but it's now completely dark so a posting a black picture is kinda pointless.

I ran the slide back and forth about four times and the foam stayed in place. Again, it does not drag across the floor. The bottom is close--very close--but it does not touch so the possibility of it folding back on the floor is diminished.

Time will tell if this "fix" holds.

Howard
    Last edited by howson; 03-25-2022, 05:40 AM.
    Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

Howard & Francine
    2017 Ford F-350 DRW, '19 315RLTSPlus

I'm going to have to examine my seals after the snow melts
    2018 Dodge 3500 6.7 Cummins w Aisin and 9 cup holders
    2021 303RLS
    Electricians were created because engineers need heroes too...

Comment

howson you may have had them originally but they fell off at some point. When working on my slide a couple months ago I found one of them to barely hanging on as it was only attached with basic double sided tape. I used a spray adhesive to reattach it but time will tell if it holds.
      2021 Reflection 278BH
      2002 GMC 2500HD

Comment

Working...
      X