Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Something is not right? Slide alignment?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• flyfshrockies
    replied
    landonth@gmail.com A thought regarding your adjustments that may be made. I would look closely at how the slide fits the inside wall after adjustment. I had a unit that was way out of adjustment at one time. The dealer did a supposed correction and it looked great from outside when retracted, however, when the slide was extended after adjustment there was a gap between the inside wall and slide that a rat could have climbed through. After much grumbling and what not I finally got the thing to seal and operate pretty much as intended after several hours. I have found that as long as the slide seals both extended and retracted it should be good enough, though maybe less then perfect.

Dave

Leave a comment:

• landonth@gmail.com
    replied
    Originally posted by Cate&Rob View Post
    Using a level on an RV slide is a questionable measurement at best. Particularly at mid travel as Country Campers Brian describes. The whole trailer is not likely to stay "bubble level" as the slide moves in or out. The available slide adjustments are intended to get the outside flange of the slide box tight to the wall on all sides when the slide is in and the inside slide flange tight to the wall when the slide is out. "Tight to the wall" is a subjective term and the industry standard seems to be that if the bulb seal is compressed at least 50%, the fit is "acceptable". You may have difficulty convincing your dealer to finesse the fit to better than this industry standard, because they will not likely be compensated for this as a warranty claim.

Rob
    Hey Rob,

Thanks for the reply, I have engaged grand design and they have provided me with a case number for adjustment. As far as I can see the bulb seal in the top corner isn’t even being compressed.

I wasn’t trying to “level” the slide, I used the level as a straight edge to show how the trim on the slide isn’t straight and figured this may be part of the problem as to why the bulb seal isn’t being compressed.

Im hoping that just an adjustment is needed and that it doesn’t need to sit at the dealer for repairs. My concern was that the seal is not being compressed enough and that water may be getting in.

Leave a comment:

• landonth@gmail.com
    replied
    Originally posted by Country Campers View Post
    A thru frame slide, that you have pictured, may not be level in mid stroke. The slide box will "teeter" on the rollers at this position and may not indicate level. It would be best to check level all the way out or all the way in.

Brian
    I didn’t try and measure or adjust with the slide in the position as pictured. It was only a picture for reference. When the slide is fully closed and measurements are taken, I have no access to the slide floor to measure as per the video. The measurement from the slide bar to the “floor” is just that the trailer floor and not the floor of the slide. So I’m a bit confused as where to take the measurements from.

Does that make sense or am I confusing everyone with my lack of knowledge? Lol

Leave a comment:

• Cate&Rob
    replied
    Using a level on an RV slide is a questionable measurement at best. Particularly at mid travel as Country Campers Brian describes. The whole trailer is not likely to stay "bubble level" as the slide moves in or out. The available slide adjustments are intended to get the outside flange of the slide box tight to the wall on all sides when the slide is in and the inside slide flange tight to the wall when the slide is out. "Tight to the wall" is a subjective term and the industry standard seems to be that if the bulb seal is compressed at least 50%, the fit is "acceptable". You may have difficulty convincing your dealer to finesse the fit to better than this industry standard, because they will not likely be compensated for this as a warranty claim.

Rob

Leave a comment:

• Country Campers
    replied
    A thru frame slide, that you have pictured, may not be level in mid stroke. The slide box will "teeter" on the rollers at this position and may not indicate level. It would be best to check level all the way out or all the way in.

Brian

Leave a comment:

• landonth@gmail.com
    replied
    We are staying at the trailer this weekend so I had a chance to assess the situation and decided against making the adjustment myself. When looking at the slide floor and the camper floor it is at two different heights and for the life of me I can’t figure out how to take a proper measurement to align it with in a 1/4”.

Also brought out a level to use as a straight edge and found that the trim that is attached to the slide is not straight. I wonder if this is why the bulb seal is not sealing and the slide looks mis-aligned?

Service appointment is booked in two weeks, I’m going to let them deal with it as it’s all under warranty still. I will make sure to update Grand design with my findings before my service appointment.

Leave a comment:

• Cheryle
    replied
    I had a similar issue that started small and kept getting worse until I had almost an inch between my slide and trailer side. The slide was also jerking as I moved it out - clearly misaligned. I was still under warranty and I was going to take it in but was on the road at the time. Looked in the manual and it said to move the slide in/out 12 inches several times in both the out position and in position. Did that twice and must have corrected the misalignment because it is perfectly aligned now against the trailer side with no gaps at the corners or along the sides. Also moves smoothly both in and out.

Leave a comment:

• TucsonJim
    replied
    Originally posted by Country Campers View Post
    landonth@gmail.com

Just a reminder that you have a case # from Grand Design and they will be expecting something from your dealer stating that they adjusted the slide to Grand Design's specifications. The case will remain open until the dealer submits this information to Grand Design. If you get the slide adjusted on your own I would suggest that you still take it to the dealer to have them inspect and sign off on the adjustment so they can close the case file that you have with Grand Design, just a little thought to pass on.

Brian
    If your self adjustment meets your needs, and you're satisfied, you can also call customer service back and update the case to indicate "owner resolved".

​​​​​​​Jim

Leave a comment:

• Country Campers
    replied
    landonth@gmail.com

​​​​​​​Just a reminder that you have a case # from Grand Design and they will be expecting something from your dealer stating that they adjusted the slide to Grand Design's specifications. The case will remain open until the dealer submits this information to Grand Design. If you get the slide adjusted on your own I would suggest that you still take it to the dealer to have them inspect and sign off on the adjustment so they can close the case file that you have with Grand Design, just a little thought to pass on.

Brian

Leave a comment:

• landonth@gmail.com
    replied
    Originally posted by Beachcamper View Post
    This video covers all the adjustments and further explains the vertical adjustment. Be careful only do a little at a time on adjustments start with a witness mark so you can go to original position in case you do not succeed.

https://youtu.be/X1A2q55BfLs
    Thanks for the link, this one is better then the link I found. I will have a look at it this weekend and see if I will tackle it myself or not.

Leave a comment:

• Beachcamper
    replied
    This video covers all the adjustments and further explains the vertical adjustment. Be careful only do a little at a time on adjustments start with a witness mark so you can go to original position in case you do not succeed.

https://youtu.be/X1A2q55BfLs

Leave a comment:

• landonth@gmail.com
    replied
    Well after doing some googling I found this video, the adjustment seems simple enough to make. The only thing I’m not sure about is if the adjustment bolt needs to move up or down? I will take some measurements next time im at the trailer and assess the situation to see where the slide is at.

Thanks for all the info guys.

https://youtu.be/GrSOtDvBZK8

Leave a comment:

• landonth@gmail.com
    replied
    Thanks for the reply’s everyone. I contacted Grand design and have a case number with approval for my dealer to make “Vertical slide adjustments” they believe that is the issue based on the pictures I sent. Book in at the dealer and have an appointment in 3 weeks to get it looked at.

i would attempt it myself as I’m handy, but new to travel trailers. I’m not exactly sure what they mean in this email.

“It appears to need a vertical adjustment. There are 2 nuts on the head assy need loosened up and the bolt that goes up try one full turn and tighten the nuts down. That is our opinion based off the pics.”

If anyone can direct me I would be happy to attempt it.

Thanks.

Leave a comment:

• Beachcamper
    replied
    Lippert has a very easy to follow set of videos if you are willing to diagnose and try to adjust the slide yourself. They will also be helpful on the phone for guidance. Here is the series of videos and can look up adjusting for extended and retracted positions first.

https://support.lci1.com/through-fra...c-slide-system

Since your unit is a 2022, it should be under warranty for either a mobile tech or dealer to adjust for you. Looking at the videos will help you understand the problem to make your case for adjustment should they give you a hard time or tell you it looks just fine.

Leave a comment:

• familytruckster4
    replied
    My experience has been that the dealers are often inclined to say its "good enough" because for them it is a money losing proposition to deal with it.
    I am inclined to agree with the stop can theory, if the slide pulled in just a fraction of an inch more it would likely bring that top in. Like has already been said, adjusting slides is often a rabbit hole. Personally I think these through frame slides are the easiest to adjust.
    My door side slide was missing one of the jack bolts for adjustment and caused the slide to become misaligned. It was definitely a learning event. Lipperts training videos are well done.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X