X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

replied
    Originally posted by howson View Post
    Toy4Rick

4th Schwintek install? This sounds suspiciously like replacing a fuse time after time (that keeps blowing) and blaming the problem on faulty fuses. Possible...but not likely. The Schwintek system is not perfect, but it's not that bad. The original mechanism in my (now 5 year old) 315RLTS still works fine.

I'd query your dealer (and/or GD Customer Service) for the "why" behind all the failures.

Howard
    I agree Howard. Something I suspect is up with the installation or floor support.

Jim

Leave a comment:

• howson
    replied
    Toy4Rick

4th Schwintek install? This sounds suspiciously like replacing a fuse time after time (that keeps blowing) and blaming the problem on faulty fuses. Possible...but not likely. The Schwintek system is not perfect, but it's not that bad. The original mechanism in my (now 5 year old) 315RLTS still works fine.

I'd query your dealer (and/or GD Customer Service) for the "why" behind all the failures.

Howard

Leave a comment:

replied
    Originally posted by Toy4Rick View Post
    In my case, 2022 2500RL and I am on the 3 complete mechanism, the 4th is under review. Each one has been a different issue but to say the least, this current one (3rd) is not working well either, runs slow mid way at times, pretty loud...

The dealer said the aluminum shafts are bowing quite a bit when fully extended due to size/weight and they claim to be talking to LCI about adding a guide block in the middle of the shaft, still waiting. LCI no longer makes the steel shafts so that is not an option

The dealer also said with the 4th install, they will have to do some body work as the mounting holes are getting suspect

What a mess for sure, it's the only thing on this trailer that I hate. Every time it goes in or out, I pray it's successful. Have already been stuck in Colorado with it stuck in, in a snow storm

Wonder if there is any chance this mechanism can be swapped out for the new rack and pinion style and if GD is even considering it for folks like us still under warranty
    To give you some hope. We initially had an issue with our schwintek as well where it turned out to be a chafed wire followed by the same motor failing its gearbox. From the rust on the motor, I suspect the dealer had repaired one from another rig and installed it on mine. I can only suspect. But after I replaced this motor myself a year later, the slide works better than ever. I now keep a spare motor and harness in my rig, and we have had no issues in years. Now I went and did it.

Keep the schwintek lubricated with CRC with Teflon since the steel bushings rotate inside an aluminum housings. It also helps to lubricate the gibs in addition to keeping the battery charged when operating the system. Good when plugged in to run both the pedestal power and the battery too. The schwintek is a reliable design if its installed correctly, kept in sinc and lubricated.

Hopefully they get this aligned and supported properly and you have reliable operation in the future.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gXw9I_DoAvI

Jim
    Last edited by Guest; 01-29-2023, 01:26 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Toy4Rick
    replied
    In my case, 2022 2500RL and I am on the 3 complete mechanism, the 4th is under review. Each one has been a different issue but to say the least, this current one (3rd) is not working well either, runs slow mid way at times, pretty loud...

The dealer said the aluminum shafts are bowing quite a bit when fully extended due to size/weight and they claim to be talking to LCI about adding a guide block in the middle of the shaft, still waiting. LCI no longer makes the steel shafts so that is not an option

The dealer also said with the 4th install, they will have to do some body work as the mounting holes are getting suspect

What a mess for sure, it's the only thing on this trailer that I hate. Every time it goes in or out, I pray it's successful. Have already been stuck in Colorado with it stuck in, in a snow storm

Wonder if there is any chance this mechanism can be swapped out for the new rack and pinion style and if GD is even considering it for folks like us still under warranty

Leave a comment:

replied
    Is the coach a 22 or a 21? It is sad the issues folks have encountered with the schwintek. They are widely used throughout the industry and on many brands. What was the issue with your slide that cost $2000?

Jim

Leave a comment:

• Schoon1
    replied
    We have a 2021 2500RL, Love it, great trailer so far, except for the slide out. We too had it fail. We were about 700 miles from home when it decided to extend 4 inches longest on top than on bottom. So we get home, then it takes 2 months to get it into service, I call GD and they guy says yeah, been having issues with that generation Schwintek slides. I get it to the shop, $2000 bucks later it is repaired, and well, our warranty had expired, but they know they had problems with those particular slides. Our repair guy said he was going to contact GD and see if they would do anything about it, so far crickets, and it has been 4 months. That kind of pisses me off. The repair tech said my slide parts were from when Lippert first took over Schwintek and they were using s#it components, the replacement seems a lot better, I would love to replace it with the Vroom slide system, but I cant really afford the trip to Arizona and the 3K to replace it. I am actually hoping they will license that design out When we go to replace this trailer in a few years might look at different manufacturer after this episode.

Leave a comment:

• WakMakr
    replied
    AlexPeterson, Montana, Toy4Rick

Had the exact same issue with a new 2022 2500RL. Purchased in February and ran into the problem on our 4th outing in June. We were at a Harvest Host and I needed to move to our next location for the week. I finally got the slide in but my front got so out of whack that the floor of the slide tore the vinyl on the floor when it was retracted all the way in. While at the HH I immediately put a claim into GD and they said I had to have an authorized dealer fix it. I checked with the local dealer and they couldn't touch it for another month. After doing some research on the Schwintek mechanism, I reached back to GD and they approved me to fix it myself. I ended up removing the slide mechanism from the wall and re-aligning the slide rack successfully. But, it still made a popping noise at the end of it's extended stroke. Forward to today and we have been successful by being very careful to extend and retract the slide over about 6 trips. My 1 year complementary inspection with my dealer was done in December and I mentioned the problem and gave them my GD claim number. Suggested they contact Lippert to expedite (Thanks Toy4Rick!) They looked into it and ran it by GD and are now replacing the entire mechanism and fixing the floor! Coincidentally when I dropped off the trailer for it’s repair, I happened to notice that the dealer had a new 2023 2500RL. Wouldn’t you know it, they have changed the slide mechanism to a rack and pinion set-up
    Last edited by Country Campers; 01-08-2023, 03:29 PM. Reason: changed font to Forum standard

Leave a comment:

• howson
    replied
    Originally posted by scooter View Post
    Bought new trailer in April. Two trips both ruined by Schwintek slide malfunction. Repair has not worked after lengthy stay at dealer. Best hope is a
    lippert recall. Probably not going to happen. All Brands and types of RVs have used these. We have had several RVs, no problems. Very frustrated manufacturers continue to use these. Since it has been repaired once, Grand Design says it is no longer their problem.
    Out of curiosity, what year and model GD?

Leave a comment:

• scooter
    replied
    Bought new trailer in April. Two trips both ruined by Schwintek slide malfunction. Repair has not worked after lengthy stay at dealer. Best hope is a
    lippert recall. Probably not going to happen. All Brands and types of RVs have used these. We have had several RVs, no problems. Very frustrated manufacturers continue to use these. Since it has been repaired once, Grand Design says it is no longer their problem.

Leave a comment:

• Mike & Rebecca
    replied
    AlexPeterson , I should have added that my suggestion was because I neglected to test a repair on a previous slide repair, and I was angry with myself. Fortunately, we made it through the next trip, but the slide definitely wasn't fixed. I won't forget next time! Glad it's working for you. FYI - our next trip is to an airshow as well. Going to see the Thunderbirds in McMinnville, OR

Leave a comment:

• AlexPeterson
    replied
    [QUOTE=Mike & Rebecca;n90998]AlexPeterson - not to state the obvious, but you'll might want to run the slide out a couple of times to verify it's fixed. Keeping my fingers crossed for you that it's all fixed! Ours is at the repair shop waiting for them new gear rack and components.

Mike, yes, and we did run it out when we were at the dealer and again when we got it home. We're at the big airshow in Oshkosh with it. So far so good!

Leave a comment:

• Mike & Rebecca
    replied
    AlexPeterson - not to state the obvious, but you'll might want to run the slide out a couple of times to verify it's fixed. Keeping my fingers crossed for you that it's all fixed! Ours is at the repair shop waiting for them new gear rack and components.

Toy4Rick - I called my repair shop last week after seeing a prior post of yours about the direct to Lippert suggestion. I was going to call Lippert like you suggested. 2 hours later my repair shop said GD contacted them (the repair shop) and said our new slide mechanism should arrive "in a couple of days." Will be interesting to see if that happens. If it does, that means the receipt was only about two weeks from when my repair shop contacted GD for the parts. Keeping my fingers crossed on this as well. Next trip is quickly approaching.

Leave a comment:

• Toy4Rick
    replied
    Dealer said our entire mechanism needed to be replaced, GD approved it, 6w plus just for parts. I contacted Schwintek and they said, nah, parts are 1d out from order, they gave me a case and said to have the dealer call them directly.

Spoke to the dealer, they were skeptical but tried it anyway, parts were ordered the next day, shipped 2 days later and were scheduled to arrive today, total of 9 business days from order... should be installed monday

Apparently GD is part of the 6w+ delay, go straight to Schwintek and it should be significantly faster

Rick

Leave a comment:

• AlexPeterson
    replied
    Following up on this. Good news, we picked up the trailer at the dealer (60 miles away), the slide rack gears and gear housings are all new. As I understand it, Lippert has made a repair kit for this sort of problem. I didn't fully understand the flaw that was baked into the design which failed, but the service guy said this failure is why this particular repair kit was hastily created.

When I called the dealer the day of the first post in this thread, he said they were not scheduling service until the 26th of July. But, he said to bring it over asap and they'd get the parts coming their way. I understand the dealer called Grand Design, who was very quick to get the parts sent. Parts came in Monday, July 18th, work completed yesterday. I was insistent in telling them I was picking it up July 21st (which we did, today), and that even if the slideout was still jammed in, we'd take it anyway.

Leaving in the morning for our first trip with the new trailer!

Leave a comment:

• Hiwayman
    replied
    You can add us to this list. Used the slide on our 260RD twice. Same thing happened. Been back at dealer for two weeks now. We're told 6 weeks for parts. Totally unacceptable. Dealer and grand design both knew of this problem before we picked up our new camper on June 4th. No one said a word. 2 trips canceled so far. We are not "happy campers"

Leave a comment:

Working...
X