MORryde CRE 3000 Ugrade

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• MORryde CRE 3000 Ugrade

I am considering replacing my stock equalizers with the MORride CRE 3000 on my 303RLS. I have several questions regarding this upgrade.

1) The equalizers come in two axle width choices, 33" and 35". I measured the distance between my axles from hub to hub and I get 35 1/2" Can someone who has replaced their equalizers on their 303RLS confirm I should use the 35" spacing to order the equalizer?

2) I am planning to do the replacement myself and I only have one set (2) of 6 ton jack stands. Can I jack up just one side of my 5th wheel to replace the equalizer or do I have to support both sides at the same time. I'm concerned if I only jack up one side at a time I will put additional stress on the suspension and make it difficult to align the shackle holes during reassembly.

3) This is probably a no brainer but should I also upgrade to the heavy duty shackle kit when replacing the equalizers? I have about 20,000 miles on my original suspension but I have been consistent with greasing the wet bolts each year.

Thanks in advance for your response.
    Last edited by Country Campers; 01-13-2023, 11:54 AM. Reason: fixed title for better searching
    John & Cindy
    2019 303 RLS
    2018 F250

Good morning John, I just finished installing the CRE3000 equalizers this week. It's the second set I've put on my trailer. I had 25,000 plus miles on the first set and they wore well. Now for your questions.

1. My axle to axle spacing was also just over 35". So I used the wider version of the CRE3000 on my rig. They fit perfectly. If you have any doubt, run through the MORryde qualifier sheet which I'm attaching in this link:
    https://www.morryde.com/wp-content/u...-Qualifier.pdf

2. I've removed the equalizers on just one side in the past. It was not a problem. Use this order for making your attachments. A - Equalizer bolt, B - Spring ends, C - Shackle bolts. If you follow that order, you can rotate the shackles to align everything. If you see that you need to move the axles to get them moved for assembly, use a ratchet strap to pull them around.

3. I would absolutely install the MORryde wet bolt and shackle kit. Here's two hints. Make sure each wet bolt will take grease BEFORE you install them. One of mine was not drilled all the way. Second, make sure the grease hole is installed at the 9:00 or 3:00 position. When I installed mine, I stamped a mark on the head of the bolts so I could tell at a glance that it was oriented the correct direction. Here's a photo:
    Click image for larger version  Name:	Notch.jpg Views:	0 Size:	124.1 KB ID:	103078

When you purchase the wet bolt kit, the wet bolts are already installed in the shackles. Sometimes, they are not oriented in the desired 3:00 or 9:00 direction. If not, I'd suggest that you put an old nut on the bolt and hammer or press it out. Then you'll need to press it back in with the correct orientation. I would not use the nut to pull it in because it could damage the threads.

One final tip. The nuts that come with the wet bolt kit (from any manufacturer) are one time use. If you need to remove them in the future, you'll need a new nut. Or at the very least reinstall it with blue LocTite.

If you take on this project, don't hesitate to ask questions. Many of us have done this one and can guide you through it.

Jim

Jim and Ginnie
    2024 Solitude 310GK - 2020 F350 Dually
    GDRV Technical Forum Moderator
    GDRV Rally Support Coordinator

Comment

Hello Johnww

Using the Grand Design parts lookup webpage (super handy BTW when doing upgrades like this, if you haven't found it yet), it looks like your 303RLS came with an equalizer for a 35" wheelbase

https://www.granddesignrv.com/owner-...s/detail/39776

Of course, this is assuming I searched for the right year and model of trailer, so maybe just double check that for yourself

You've received great information already from TucsonJim and I'll echo his 'ask away' comment for anything that comes up. I would add to your question about jack stands, to measure if they'll have enough 'lift range' to hold the frame on their own. Being 6T they might, but if it's close, I would suggest having some cribbing handy. I used cut-off ends of 6x6 posts to build a platform for my 3T jack stands to sit on.

Enjoy the upgrade!
      2019 Imagine 2400BH
      2019 F150 XLT Super Crew, EcoBoost, 6.5' box, Max tow package with 3.55 ratio

Comment

Originally posted by Johnww View Post
        I am considering replacing my stock equalizers with the MORride CRE 3000 on my 303RLS. I have several questions regarding this upgrade.

1) The equalizers come in two axle width choices, 33" and 35". I measured the distance between my axles from hub to hub and I get 35 1/2" Can someone who has replaced their equalizers on their 303RLS confirm I should use the 35" spacing to order the equalizer?

2) I am planning to do the replacement myself and I only have one set (2) of 6 ton jack stands. Can I jack up just one side of my 5th wheel to replace the equalizer or do I have to support both sides at the same time. I'm concerned if I only jack up one side at a time I will put additional stress on the suspension and make it difficult to align the shackle holes during reassembly.

3) This is probably a no brainer but should I also upgrade to the heavy duty shackle kit when replacing the equalizers? I have about 20,000 miles on my original suspension but I have been consistent with greasing the wet bolts each year.

Thanks in advance for your response.
        Replace the bolts and shackles. When you remove your old bolts and old bushings you will see the old nylon bushings are gone. Some will be a real pain to remove. With the new greaseable bolts (installed correctly as noted above) you will get much more life out of the bushings and have peace of mind with the thicker shackles.
        Allen

2021 Momentum 21G

Comment

Thanks everyone for your responses. TucsonJim, I had read your recent post regarding the orientation of the hollow bolts and stamping the bolt head to confirm the correct position. Great write up. I will get this new kit on order this week and begin my upgrade. Again, thanks to this community.
          John & Cindy
          2019 303 RLS
          2018 F250

Comment

Working...
          X