Sumo Springs Upgrade

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sumo Springs Upgrade

Moderator Note: The original post by the OP had two separate upgrades in one post. I've taken the liberty of splitting them up as one is suspension (this one) and the other is a camera upgrade (so it belongs in a different channel). The non-applicable text in each has been deleted, but all the text is the OP's original words (with some minor word change for flow). -Howard

This post is for anyone interested in adding sumo springs.
    To preface this, I am 55 years old and have retired once already from law enforcement but I am working full time at another agency to get a second pension. I have done a lot of mechanical work on my vehicles over the years and home repairs too. If I can do it myself and have the time, I will to save a buck.

The sumos took about an hour to install and that included reading the instructions, setting up the camper, install, and lowering camper back down. Super easy. Just make sure you keep the spring part loose enough while tightening the bracket bolt. It needs to move a little to seat the jaws onto the springpack top plate. I had to use one spacer and I found that I have Dexter axles (at least one thing not made by Lippert).

I hope this helps anyone else having doubts about doing this upgrade. If this old man can do it, so can you.
    Last edited by howson; 02-24-2023, 04:54 PM.
    Mark & Yvonne
    2022 Reflection 303RLS
    2021 Chevy 2500HD Duramax LTZ
    B&M turnover ball
    Blue Ox Gooseneck-to-5th-Wheel Trailer Hitch Adapter

Thanks for the info, we are looking at adding Sumo Springs to our 2023 2500RL. Have you noticed an improvement in ride quality? Thanks for your service, my wife and I are also active law enforcement and looking forward to retirement.
    2023 Grand Designs 2500RL
    2001 Ford F350 7.3 Powerstroke

Comment

I added Sumo springs last month to my trailer. Wasn't difficult, other than lifting the frame high enough to install. First trip is in May, so we will see how they do.
      2021 GD Momentum 320G 8K Axle
      2023 Chevy 3500HD LTZ SB CC 4x4 Dmax

Comment

I too considered Sumo Springs on my trailer. But a word of caution to anyone considering this modification. According to their fitment chart, the gap between the frame and the top plate must be between 5.3 and 6.55 inches. On my trailer, the gap was 4.5". I contacted the manufacturer, and their response was:

"From the measurement you provided the Trailer SumoSprings will be compressed a lot more than we would like to see so it may be a non fit for your application". They advised that you "perform this measurement with the trailer sitting level and fully loaded."

So make sure you measure before purchasing. It may be a real hassle to return them if you try to install them and they aren't a correct fit.

Jim
        Jim and Ginnie
        2024 Solitude 310GK - 2020 F350 Dually
        GDRV Technical Forum Moderator
        GDRV Rally Support Coordinator

Comment

There is another alternative to consider.....I tried the Timbrens on my last GMC and didn't like them and assumed the ride would be similar with the Sumo Springs for my Reflection. For the camper....I went with the Comfort Ride shocks instead. I took my rig for a stroll the other day after installing the shocks and was amazed at the ride change. They take a bit longer to install than the Sumo Springs but they are a great alternative with lots of adjustments to fit the different rigs.
          40-year Camping Enthusiast
          2022 Grand Design Reflection 303RLS with tons of upgrades
          2022 GMC Sierra 3500 AT4 CC LB SRW D-Max 3865 Cargo Capacity

Comment

Sumo springs and Comfort Ride shocks are completely different animals. The sumos carry weight and dampen motion somewhat. The shocks are strictly dampers and cannot carry any weight except momentarily while they are contracting or extending. Properly installed and preloaded sumos will raise ride height slightly. Shocks should not change ride height.

TucsonJim I am surprised that sumos would not fit your suspension. I don't have the numbers with me but sumos fit my suspension perfectly with one supplied spacer ring. I do have the taller Correct Track Hangers which might be the difference.

Rob
            Cate & Rob
            (with Border Collies Molly & Angel + Kitties Hazel & Elsie)
            2015 Reflection 303RLS
            2022 F350 Diesel CC SB SRW Lariat
            Bayham, Ontario, Canada

Comment

Originally posted by Cate&Rob View Post
              Sumo springs and Comfort Ride shocks are completely different animals. The sumos carry weight and dampen motion somewhat. The shocks are strictly dampers and cannot carry any weight except momentarily while they are contracting or extending. Properly installed and preloaded sumos will raise ride height slightly. Shocks should not change ride height.

TucsonJim I am surprised that sumos would not fit your suspension. I don't have the numbers with me but sumos fit my suspension perfectly with one supplied spacer ring. I do have the taller Correct Track Hangers which might be the difference.

Rob
              I'll bet the difference is the hangers for sure. Mine are much shorter. But I'm not complaining. Less lateral stress is a good thing.

Jim

Jim and Ginnie
              2024 Solitude 310GK - 2020 F350 Dually
              GDRV Technical Forum Moderator
              GDRV Rally Support Coordinator

Comment

Originally posted by Cate&Rob View Post

Rob
                That is totally true. I didn't realize people were trying to augment their leaf spring capacity to carry additional weight. I do not have that requirement for sure. My goal was to dampen and cushion my ride a bit and reduce the transference of that into the truck.
                40-year Camping Enthusiast
                2022 Grand Design Reflection 303RLS with tons of upgrades
                2022 GMC Sierra 3500 AT4 CC LB SRW D-Max 3865 Cargo Capacity

Comment

Working...
                X