Opinions on leaf spring condition

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Opinions on leaf spring condition

I don’t have any experience prior to this camper so I’m hopping to get some opinions on leaf spring condition. The attached photo is the front passenger spring, the lighter side of the camper. The others look pretty similar. This is with the trailer fairly empty, less than 1/3 fresh water (guessing about 90 pounds). I do have solar panels, some batteries and inverter at about 300 pounds as well. We have had the camper since fall of 2020 and put a little over 10K miles on it. They seem a little flat to me. Thanks in advance for any thoughts. I can try to get better pics if that will help.
    Joel
    2020 F350 7.3 gas
    2021 Imagine XLS 22MLE

Hi Joel,

The spring in you picture does look “W” shaped . . . which is an indication of a failing spring. There is a way to measure the exact compression of your springs. This is called “loaded arch height” and should be 1.5” or more of the unloaded 3” arch height. See this post for more information on how to do this.
    https://gdrvowners.com/forum/operati...-height-how-to

Rob
    Cate & Rob
    (with Border Collies Molly & Angel + Kitties Hazel & Elsie)
    2015 Reflection 303RLS
    2022 F350 Diesel CC SB SRW Lariat
    Bayham, Ontario, Canada

Comment

As Rob states, the spring is taking on the classic "W" shape. Don't risk it. New springs are reasonably priced. while you're at it, I'd consider replacing that solid equalizer with a MORryde CRE3000 or similar product. And since your trailer is nearing three years old, it's time to disassemble the suspension and inspect the bushings. If you have everything apart, I'd purchase a wet bolt and heavy duty shackle kit.

Jim
      Jim and Ginnie
      2024 Solitude 310GK - 2020 F350 Dually
      GDRV Technical Forum Moderator
      GDRV Rally Support Coordinator

Comment

How is the unit currently sitting? Reason I ask is the equalizer is showing that the other spring (rear curb side) is high vs the rear if you will not the "arms" that should be in roughly mirror orientation. This actually leads to the curb side front spring actually carrying more load than it's sister on the same side.

Unfortunately the way the equalizer is built: one axle gains load and one looses as they move. In your case the rear is higher than the front and it's distance from the center of the equalizer increases causing it to loose load while the opposing increases load.
        Joseph
        Tow
        Vehicle: 2024 GMC K3500 Denali Ultimate Diesel
        Coach: 303RLS Delivered March 5, 2021
        South of Houston Texas

Comment

Originally posted by Jlawles2 View Post
          How is the unit currently sitting? Reason I ask is the equalizer is showing that the other spring (rear curb side) is high vs the rear if you will not the "arms" that should be in roughly mirror orientation. This actually leads to the curb side front spring actually carrying more load than it's sister on the same side.

Unfortunately the way the equalizer is built: one axle gains load and one looses as they move. In your case the rear is higher than the front and it's distance from the center of the equalizer increases causing it to loose load while the opposing increases load.
          Looks like the ground was not very flat there, I think it is enough to cause that amount of tip in the equalizer. I will be looking at it closer when I get a chance, thanks for pointing it out.

also thanks to Cate&Rob and TucsonJim!
          As for the measurement of how compressed/flat the springs are, I measured a little over an inch between the top of the spring and the center of the eyes on the heavy side springs and between 3/4 to 1 inch on the light side. That seems backwards to me that the lighter/passenger side is more compressed, but that’s what I got.

Thanks again everyone!
          2020 F350 7.3 gas
          2021 Imagine XLS 22MLE

Comment

Thanks again to everyone!
            I replaced the springs, and switched to the dexter ez-flex equalizer with wet bolts. One of the new bolts on a shackle was not fully drilled. Thanks to this forum and another thread I knew to check them before installation and it was just the smallest amount of drilling to get the axial hole drilled into the radial hole and grease flowed.
            2020 F350 7.3 gas
            2021 Imagine XLS 22MLE

Comment

Good deal Joel. And those new red equalizers look terrific. Maybe I need to get my can of spray paint out...

Jim
              Jim and Ginnie
              2024 Solitude 310GK - 2020 F350 Dually
              GDRV Technical Forum Moderator
              GDRV Rally Support Coordinator

Comment

Working...
              X