A second spare tire?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A second spare tire?

I have about 30k miles of towing on my rig. We keep to paved roads, run a TPMS and run GY Endurance tires replacing them every 3 years. My spare is a Walmart Carlisle Reliance. I am all about maintenance especially annual suspension work. Carry extra leaf spring, shackles, U Bolts, bearing, etc. We travel 300lbs below GVWR, 1300lbs below axle rating, we are fulltime. I have only had one blow out in 5 years and that’s because of road hazard, sharp rock like a spear head penetrated the tire leaving a campground in the UP of Michigan.

Will be heading to the west coast this summer from Florida and will be traveling highway 395 along the eastern side of the Sierra’s eventually towards Banff, Jasper then heading south to eastern side of Wyoming and Colorado before coming back to Florida. Given that these are less traveled areas, not too many tire places to carry GY endurance so thought about replacing the Carlisle with a GY endurance spare. So now have this extra Carlisle tire I could throw in the truck bed behind the hitch or buy a tire carrier for the RV a hitch. That would add more weight to our RV which I don’t want but if worth it for safety I will.

Should I just travel with that spare I already have or invest in a GY Endurance for the spare? Throw that spare behind hitch in back of truck?
    Vivian
    2018 Reflection 303rls
    Ford F-350 diesel long bed 4 x 4 SRW
    Demco Recon

That kind of travel distance a second spare may be a good option. I think the Carlisle tire would be fine, no need to invest in a Goodyear for just a spare. I still have the original Westlake spare under the RV.

Brian
    Brian & Michelle
    2018 Reflection 29RS
    2022 Chevy 3500HD

Comment

Hi Vivian,

I carry two spare tires, but both are under the RV. See https://gdrvowners.com/forum/operati...-trailer-tires If you lose a tire at highway speed, the other tire on that side carries all the load for a while. It is fairly common to learn of the second tire failing shortly after the first. Carrying two spares is a good idea (in my opinion).

Rob
      Cate & Rob
      (with Border Collies Molly & Angel + Kitties Hazel & Elsie)
      2015 Reflection 303RLS
      2022 F350 Diesel CC SB SRW Lariat
      Bayham, Ontario, Canada

Comment

I've never had two flats. I have only had one on the trailer in 25 years. For me, one spare is good.
        If going remote... like gravel with no services...I would consider two
        2018 Dodge 3500 6.7 Cummins w Aisin and 9 cup holders
        2021 303RLS
        Electricians were created because engineers need heroes too...

Comment

Originally posted by Scott'n'Wendy View Post
          I've never had two flats. I have only had one on the trailer in 25 years. For me, one spare is good.
          If going remote... like gravel with no services...I would consider two
          Same... However, I'm neither full-time nor see the miles you do, but in 30 yrs I had one blowout on a Carlisle... my fault, I suspect it was a tad under inflated. Otherwise, OEM Westlake's and Trailer Kings with no issues. For our travels, I'm comfortable with one spare and the ability to get to proper inspection & service, if needed.

Mike
          Mike & Sonya
          2017 Silverado 1500, 5.3, Tow Pkg, RAS
          Blue Ox SwayPro
          2021 2400BH (DeBunked)

Comment

So what I am gathering is that it’s not imperative to carry matching brand of tire for a spare. Coin toss on a second but recommended for mileage we are doing.

Cate&Rob while I marvel at your mods and have actually accomplished a few (thank you) I am running out of time before departure.

options are to order a hitch mount kit or throw it in the bed of truck.
            Vivian
            2018 Reflection 303rls
            Demco Recon

Comment

When I change trailer tires (about every 3 years), I keep the best two of the previous tires as the spares.
              If you have a factory receiver on the back of the trailer, carrying the spare there is an option. The tire carriers that clamp to a rear bumper are not a good idea.

Rob

Cate & Rob
              (with Border Collies Molly & Angel + Kitties Hazel & Elsie)
              2015 Reflection 303RLS
              2022 F350 Diesel CC SB SRW Lariat
              Bayham, Ontario, Canada

Comment

Most of our trips are through areas where cities are not that far apart, so access to another tire would not be big issue. Last year we traveled from TX through Kan and Neb to SD, then on to Yellowstone. Lots of wide open spaces and all the while I'm thinking if I have trouble I'm a long ways from help. If I were to do that again I believe a second spare would be a must. I hate to spend money on items I probably will never use, but if the worst should happen it's like insurance.
                2020 Reflection 273MK
                2005 Dodge Ram 2500 CTD

Comment

Vivian, If you have room and capacity, consider putting the extra spare in the front compartment. I did this with the spare on the previous 5er when I took it off the bumper. I do suggest you find a way to strap it in place. Couple of eye bolts into the front wall or steel framing would work. Just something to keep it from rolling around.
                  Joseph
                  Tow
                  Vehicle: 2024 GMC K3500 Denali Ultimate Diesel
                  Coach: 303RLS Delivered March 5, 2021
                  South of Houston Texas

Comment

Originally posted by Jlawles2 View Post
                    Vivian, If you have room and capacity, consider putting the extra spare in the front compartment. I did this with the spare on the previous 5er when I took it off the bumper. I do suggest you find a way to strap it in place. Couple of eye bolts into the front wall or steel framing would work. Just something to keep it from rolling around.
                    I do not have room in the front bay for a tire would need to be in truck bed or at hitch. But I just discovered that through my Coach-net plan they will bring me an extra tire if necessary up to 2 times per year and will cover me in Canada. So I think this will be my option and keep that Carlisle spare for the trip.
                    Last edited by Beachcamper; 03-15-2023, 11:30 AM.
                    Vivian
                    2018 Reflection 303rls
                    Demco Recon

Comment

I carried two spares on our trip from VA to Grand Canyon last year. That was in a TT. Still exploring ways to carry spare #2 in the 5th wheel setup. I looked at the undercarriage slide setup like handtruck handles, I think eTrailer has it, but they also have a simple non-angled 2" hitch mount spare carrier that I may do as well. I had planned on the 8 ft bed for new truck but got the GMC standard bed so doubtful I can throw it in the back. I think eTrailer sells the wheel/Goodyear tire combo as a unit. For VA and OBX runs I probably won't carry #2. TX and Alabama trips probably will.
                      2022 Reflection 150 Series 280RS, 2022 GMC 3500 Denali crew cab 4x4 6.6L Turbo Diesel, empty wallet.

Comment

Working...
                      X