Dexter to Timken Bearing part number crossover - the hard way - solution

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Jlawles2 View Post
    Yoda Keith, note I did opt for the 2 piece oil seal vs the single or double lip seal. The 2 piece is a little harder to seat on the axle shaft, but I prefer the rubber outer and inner over molding as it's a touch more forgiving and the fact that the seal comes with it's own wear surface.
    Two piece seal??????????????????? Never heard of that option. I don't think any of the seal part numbers I listed are two piece. They are double lipped though. So you have me confused?
    Keith
    2018 Reflection 150 Series 220RK 5th whee, Star White 2022 F350 King Ranch CC Long bed (HAL) (CCC 4062lbs), B&W 25K OEM Companion,. SteadyFast system, Trailer reverse lights, rear receiver spare tire holder, storage tube, sumo springs, Victron MultiPlus 12/120/3000, Solar, Custom 6K axles upgrade, and other modifications.

Comment

this is a 2 piece seal:
      Click image for larger version

Name:	dataurl146280.png
Views:	107
Size:	295.7 KB
ID:	118618

This is a double lip:
      Click image for larger version

Name:	dataurl168357.png
Views:	99
Size:	52.0 KB
ID:	118619

On the 2 piece (I believe ford like GM uses them on the rear hubs on their trucks), the double lip seal rides on a liner that is integral to the seal. The liner and outer seal are rubber over molded. In the second image C and E (this is the interface to the stub axle) are the 2 lips of the double seal and ride on the axle stub shaft. Over time the stub shaft can develop a groove. In the first image Lips C and E are shown to ride on the U shaped section at the bottom (this is the inner diameter of the seal) which is stationary to the stub axle. Yes it's probably overkill on a trailer axle, but the 2 piece design also renews the seal riding surface every time the seal is changed, so if there are any pits or corrosion on the stub shaft it's much less critical.

I know clear as a glass of solidified soil.
      Joseph
      Tow
      Vehicle: 2024 GMC K3500 Denali Ultimate Diesel
      Coach: 303RLS Delivered March 5, 2021
      South of Houston Texas

Comment

Working...
      X