Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Dexter EZ-Flex Severe Wear - Lack of Maintenance?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dexter EZ-Flex Severe Wear - Lack of Maintenance?

I thought I would give folks a heads up if they have the Dexter EZ-Flex center suspension member. There are TWO grease zerks up top hidden by the hanger, Be sure to grease this unit often otherwise as can be seen in the following pictures bad wear can occur. I have sent theses photos off to my Dexter contact to confirm it was my lack of maintenance. When I removed them the center plain 9/16 knurled bolt was stiff to come out, but not seized.

Here is the Dexter flyer https://www.dexteraxle.com/Dexter-E-Z-Flex

From the instructions sheet it indicates the center bolt should have anti-seize on it. I don't think mine were installed with any. https://www.dexteraxle.com/user_area...ctionSheet.pdf

Apply the supplied anti-seize packet or equivalent to the inside
    of the steel bushing of the equalizer, then to the outside of the
    center pivot bolt.

I should have lubed every 3K miles - pretty sure I missed that

Lubricate all the grease fittings using a Lithium complex grease,
    NLGI No. 2 such as Mobil Oil Company Mobilgrease HP or
    equivalent. Pump the grease in until it begins to show at the
    ends of the bronze bushings. For best results, the suspension
    should be lubricated every 3,000 miles

So here are some pictures. Note the cracking and deformation of the brass bushing. I am assuming this occurred due to heat, lack of lubrication, and wear.

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_1482s.jpg Views:	22 Size:	148.9 KB ID:	110536 Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_1483s.jpg Views:	19 Size:	110.0 KB ID:	110537 Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_1484s.jpg Views:	19 Size:	91.7 KB ID:	110538
    Curb side center section

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_1486s.jpg Views:	18 Size:	145.7 KB ID:	110539 Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_1488s.jpg Views:	18 Size:	116.7 KB ID:	110540
    Street side. Second photo has a water droplet. Also note the side wear from the hanger. The assemblies float on the center steel bushing.

I am lucky Dexter shipped me two new assemblies before hand. I have more pictures if folks want them. When I hear back form Dexter I will update, but pretty sure this is do to lack of lubrication.

Keith

Now the Morryde X-Factor kit has a 9/16" wet bolt to replace the 9/16 solid I pilled out. It seem to have a slight bit more play than the old one, but it could be due to the slight corrosion on the old bolt. Its visible in the first photo. Thoughts on this fitment?
    Last edited by Yoda; 04-18-2023, 09:11 AM.
    2018 Reflection 150 Series 220RK 5th whee, Star White 2022 F350 King Ranch CC Long bed (HAL) (CCC 4062lbs), B&W 25K OEM Companion,. SteadyFast system, Trailer reverse lights, rear receiver spare tire holder, storage tube, sumo springs, Victron MultiPlus 12/120/3000, Solar, Custom 6K axles upgrade, and other modifications.

Yoda -- yikes -- something tells me you're far from the only one that doesn't lubricate their chassis components every 3K miles.
    Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

Howard & Francine
    2017 Ford F-350 DRW, '19 315RLTSPlus

Comment

Hi Keith,

It would be interesting to see the fit of these parts when they were new. The bronze bushing looks to be about the standard wall thickness . . . but, must have been thicker at some point. Grease is good, but bronze has natural lubricating properties against steel. The bushing fractures are likely from impact. Once the clearance opens up, the vertical movement pounds the bushing. I have seen this same failure (many times over) on the spring eye bushings.

Rob

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2099.jpg
Views:	342
Size:	126.0 KB
ID:	110543
      Cate & Rob
      (with Border Collies Molly & Angel + Kitties Hazel & Elsie)
      2015 Reflection 303RLS
      2022 F350 Diesel CC SB SRW Lariat
      Bayham, Ontario, Canada

Comment

I had probably 400o miles on mine when I changed it out to a different set up, there was no wear like what your pictures show. I did grease the suspension probably far too often, 3 or 4 times a year. I realize you have more miles than me but grease is cheap and I like to use it.

Brian
        Brian & Michelle
        2018 Reflection 29RS
        2022 Chevy 3500HD

Comment

Originally posted by Cate&Rob View Post
          Hi Keith,

It would be interesting to see the fit of these parts when they were new. The bronze bushing looks to be about the standard wall thickness . . . but, must have been thicker at some point. Grease is good, but bronze has natural lubricating properties against steel. The bushing fractures are likely from impact. Once the clearance opens up, the vertical movement pounds the bushing. I have seen this same failure (many times over) on the spring eye bushings.

Rob

Name:	IMG_2099.jpg
Views:	342
Size:	126.0 KB
ID:	110543
          As you wish
          A brand new unit

Name:	IMG_1432s.jpg
Views:	319
Size:	110.0 KB
ID:	110555 Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1495s.jpg
Views:	323
Size:	107.9 KB
ID:	110556
          Everything is a vert tight fit.

Keith
          2018 Reflection 150 Series 220RK 5th whee, Star White 2022 F350 King Ranch CC Long bed (HAL) (CCC 4062lbs), B&W 25K OEM Companion,. SteadyFast system, Trailer reverse lights, rear receiver spare tire holder, storage tube, sumo springs, Victron MultiPlus 12/120/3000, Solar, Custom 6K axles upgrade, and other modifications.

Comment

OK new question - Wet bolt fitment?

Has anyone installed an X-Factor cross member and used the supplied 9/16 by 3 3/8" wet bolt through the top steel bushing? Any fitment / slop issues? The supplied 9/16 wet bolt seems to have a hair looser fit then the 9/16" solid bolt I removed. In talking to Morryde the wet bolt they provide should work fine, but the EZ-Flex does not need grease inside the steel bushing. Instructions call for anti-seize on a solid 9/16 bolt. Problem is finding a solid 9/16 bolt long enough that will fit the X-Factor. I called Dexter too, but they were not aware of the Morryde X factor wet bolts, and did not have a parts break down on the bolt needed for thier unit install - just what is in the kits.

E-Trailer has a solid bolt that might work https://www.etrailer.com/Trailer-Lea...rs/166079.html
            I have asked for further information on the dimensions. The Morryde wet bolt provided in the kit is 3 3/8 from back of head to end of threads. E-trailer is 3 1/2, but no information on the other dimensions such as thread length, etc.

Or am I over thinking this again

Thanks
            Keith

Comment

Hi Keith,

"Anti-seize" is just a (maybe) better quality grease. I would skip the anti-seize, use the wet bolt and keep it well greased. Note that the anti-seize might not go well with the grease. Choose one or the other, but not both. (just my opinion)

Rob
              Cate & Rob
              (with Border Collies Molly & Angel + Kitties Hazel & Elsie)
              2015 Reflection 303RLS
              2022 F350 Diesel CC SB SRW Lariat
              Bayham, Ontario, Canada

Comment

Originally posted by Cate&Rob View Post
                Hi Keith,

"Anti-seize" is just a (maybe) better quality grease. I would skip the anti-seize, use the wet bolt and keep it well greased. Note that the anti-seize might not go well with the grease. Choose one or the other, but not both. (just my opinion)

Rob
                Thanks Rob. The anti-seize was for the stock solid bolt that was originally used. The X-Factor kit has the wet bolt that I will grease, assuming I us it. Just concerned with the apparent looser fit of the wet bolt, but that might be all in my head. I just cleaned up one of the old bolts to remove any surface crud, and the fit now seems the same between the two. With the wet bolt there will be grease in the void - possibly reducing play?

Keith

Comment

I heard back from Dexter. The wet bolts should be fine. It was my lack of maintenance too. It is very important to keep everything tight and greased. I plan to fully grease before install and spin the steel bushing while doing it. I also plan to grease and spin the wet bolt to fully lube the inside of the steel bushing, before seating the wet bolt and completing the install.

Keith

Comment

Working...
                  X