Axle Upgrade Question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Axle Upgrade Question

Have a 2020 Transcend 265BH with Dexter 4400 lb axles.
    I need to redo brakes and springs to keep things strong would it be possible to upgrade to 5k axles on this camper.
    The price of all with labor runs about the same as buying new axles figured it would be worth the upgrade.
    I never overload just would like the extra strength and brakes.

It might roughen the ride up on the trailer, which you will feel thru the hitch, but I do not think it would be that bad. Just remember that stiffening one area up with move the stresses to another area, frame walls and so on. I do not think this will be a huge issue for you. I believe the next step is #5200 axles, not sure if just #5000 is available.

Brian
    Brian & Michelle
    2018 Reflection 29RS
    2022 Chevy 3500HD

Comment

Originally posted by Rolltide2524 View Post
      Have a 2020 Transcend 265BH with Dexter 4400 lb axles.
      I need to redo brakes and springs to keep things strong would it be possible to upgrade to 5k axles on this camper.
      The price of all with labor runs about the same as buying new axles figured it would be worth the upgrade.
      I never overload just would like the extra strength and brakes.
      I would go to the 6K axle with the 12" brakes - big upgrade from the 10" on the 4400 and 5200. You can always go with a softer spring. The 4400 and 5200 are sort of orphan axles with the 10" and getting parts on the road can be an issue. 6K is more common. When you do the upgrade be sure to match your hub bolt spacing and verify your existing rims will fit, unless you upgrading. Befor ordering take a picture of you axle tags and send to Dexetr or Lippert and get your specific axle/spring build information. You will need it ti verify what to order.

Give https://ironbeartrailer.com/ a call as they have a wealth of knowledge (800) 865-0339​ They can order and ship if you need. I just got do doing a replacement myself and documented it here. While doing it I also recommend the MorRyde wet bolt and HD shackle upgrade.

Keith
      2018 Reflection 150 Series 220RK 5th whee, Star White 2022 F350 King Ranch CC Long bed (HAL) (CCC 4062lbs), B&W 25K OEM Companion,. SteadyFast system, Trailer reverse lights, rear receiver spare tire holder, storage tube, sumo springs, Victron MultiPlus 12/120/3000, Solar, Custom 6K axles upgrade, and other modifications.

Comment

Working...
      X