303 RLS Airbag suspension setup?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 303 RLS Airbag suspension setup?

I am just wondering, has anyone done or thought about doing an airbag suspension​ setup on the camper? I am curious due to the fact many people are using Sumo spring setups, I know one side (kitchen) is heavier than the other, so it would be nice to maybe put more support on that side of the RV.
    Last edited by deanot26508; 10-22-2023, 04:17 PM. Reason: Adding tags

Hello, I have a 2021 303rls, I have had rear driver side springs go flat just recently and I’m in process replacing all 4 with 3000lb springs. When Im done with this upgrade I will be installing summo’s ,s myself to preserve the new suspension. Upon my research summo’s are completely maintenance free.
    My build sheet from factory indicates I ’m 580lb heavier on driver side. If you do a lot of research on the forum some people have upgrade just the driver side with 3000lb springs to help offset weight.

Comment

Hideout #2

The build sheet from Grand Design is for an empty trailer as it leaves the factory. Once you fill the pantry, fridge, cabinets around the TV and the bedroom closet . . . the side-to-side weight difference will be over 800 lbs.

Rob
      Cate & Rob
      (with Border Collies Molly & Angel + Kitties Hazel & Elsie)
      2015 Reflection 303RLS
      2022 F350 Diesel CC SB SRW Lariat
      Bayham, Ontario, Canada

Comment

deanot26508

Some of us did look into airbags for a 303. Would be quite possible, but putting 800 lb stronger springs on the left side (3000 lb springs vs 2600 lb springs) was just way easier.

Edit: I have 3000 lb springs on the left, 2600 lb springs on the right, Sumos on both sides and airbag equalizers. Seems to all work well together.

Rob
        Cate & Rob
        2015 Reflection 303RLS
        Bayham, Ontario, Canada

Comment

Originally posted by Cate&Rob View Post
          deanot26508

Some of us did look into airbags for a 303. Would be quite possible, but putting 800 lb stronger springs on the left side (3000 lb springs vs 2600 lb springs) was just way easier.

Edit: I have 3000 lb springs on the left, 2600 lb springs on the right, Sumos on both sides and airbag equalizers. Seems to all work well together.

Rob
          How long did it take before replacing the original springs?
          2018 Dodge 3500 6.7 Cummins w Aisin and 9 cup holders
          2021 303RLS
          Electricians were created because engineers need heroes too...

Comment

Originally posted by Scott'n'Wendy View Post

How long did it take before replacing the original springs?
            I don’t recall exactly . . . but it was 2 or 3 years (at about 5 to 7 thousand kms per year) when I really started to notice the “lean to the left” that led to stronger springs on that side.

Sumos and the Centerpoint airbag equalizer are more recent additions but seem to be good additions.

Rob
            Cate & Rob
            2015 Reflection 303RLS
            Bayham, Ontario, Canada

Comment

That centrepoint equalizer looks like an airbag version of the Dexter ez flex. What does varying the air pressure in the bags do for you? Noticeable change in trailer behavior going softer or harder on the bags?
              2018 Dodge 3500 6.7 Cummins w Aisin and 9 cup holders
              2021 303RLS
              Electricians were created because engineers need heroes too...

Comment

I started to notice about 7-8k I’m at about 10k on my 21 303, now they are completely flat on Driver side only and the rear spring was worse. My thought is that if you are not completely towing flat and the bad overpass transitions may contribute to the rear going flat first. I try to stagger bridge transitions ( from normal wear) that seems to help quite a bit on the bounce.

Comment

Airbags on a trailer.....could help keep trailer level while towing and help level when at campsite without blocks.... 🤔
                  Allen

2021 Momentum 21G

Comment

Originally posted by Scott'n'Wendy View Post
                    That centrepoint equalizer looks like an airbag version of the Dexter ez flex. What does varying the air pressure in the bags do for you? Noticeable change in trailer behavior going softer or harder on the bags?
                    The Centerpoint instructions are to pressurize the bag until the end plates are vertical and parallel to each other. This is a bit of a compromise because of the weight differential side-to-side but takes about 45 psi. (I have considered separate pressure systems for each side, but have not gone there yet). Higher or lower pressure would be likely to upset the geometry which might have a negative affect on trailer behavior.

Rob
                    Cate & Rob
                    2015 Reflection 303RLS
                    Bayham, Ontario, Canada

Comment

Working...
                    X