Slow Leak

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Slow Leak

I have Cooper ST215/75R17.5 Work Series tires on Lionshead black Phoenix wheels. I also have a TireLinc TPMS. The issue that I am having is that I have a slow leak. I have put soapy water on the value and around the tire bead with no signs of a leak. There is also no weird tread wear or anything that looks like a puncture. Took the wheel off the rig, inflated it to 120PSI and let it sit overnight in the garage. Pressure dropped to 115PSI by the next day. Temperature in the garage did not change much overnight so it should not have been a factor. I did tighten the valve stem before inflating so that also should not be an issue. I attached a photo of the valve stem.

Ideas?
    Click image for larger version

Name:	PXL_20231029_152957613.jpg
Views:	239
Size:	69.0 KB
ID:	122493
    Rob, Betsy and Kali (Rhodesian Ridgeback)
    2022 Solitude-S 2930RL
    2023 GMC Sierra 3500HD Duramax Denali

Does it continue to loose pressure if left for another night?

Brian
    Brian & Michelle
    2018 Reflection 29RS
    2022 Chevy 3500HD

Comment

Originally posted by rtrainer View Post
      I have Cooper ST215/75R17.5 Work Series tires on Lionshead black Phoenix wheels. I also have a TireLinc TPMS. The issue that I am having is that I have a slow leak. I have put soapy water on the value and around the tire bead with no signs of a leak. There is also no weird tread wear or anything that looks like a puncture. Took the wheel off the rig, inflated it to 120PSI and let it sit overnight in the garage. Pressure dropped to 115PSI by the next day. Temperature in the garage did not change much overnight so it should not have been a factor. I did tighten the valve stem before inflating so that also should not be an issue. I attached a photo of the valve stem.

Ideas?
      Click image for larger version

Name:	PXL_20231029_152957613.jpg
Views:	239
Size:	69.0 KB
ID:	122493
      If you have checked the tire by removing and soaking in water, checked the beads and the stem, the last thing would be a porous aluminum rim. We had a huge water bin that we could soak the wheels/tires in and check all spots for bubbles and leaks before we condemned the rims while I was working as a dealership tech many years ago.
      40-year Camping Enthusiast
      2022 Grand Design Reflection 303RLS with tons of upgrades
      2022 GMC Sierra 3500 AT4 CC LB SRW D-Max 3865 Cargo Capacity

Comment

Originally posted by Country Campers View Post
        Does it continue to loose pressure if left for another night?

Brian
        It lost 1/2 lb overnight
        2022 Solitude-S 2930RL

Comment

Loosing 5 lbs the first night could be the temp of the air put into the tire as well as temp change. 1/2 lb over the second night is not too worrisome. Do you have a leak?, not sure but checking with a complete tire/wheel submersion as noted above may be the process needed next.

Brian
          Brian & Michelle
          2018 Reflection 29RS
          2022 Chevy 3500HD

Comment

Replace the whole valve stem. There are plastic or silicone seals around the stem itself they swell up and contract or maybe the threads inside the valve stem are crossed.
            Had a similar issue only difference was it wouldn’t leak while I was monitoring it.
            Retired Tanker Yanker
            2017 F-250 6.7 2019 273 MK - Carlisle CSL 16 225/75 15, MORryde CRE 3000 & center X cross brace, Sumo springs, Andersen Ultimate Hitch 6-Leaf Double-Eye Spring for 4,500-lb Axles
            My your pleasures be many and your troubles be few!

Comment

Finally had some time to stick it in a tube of water. Found the the leak is in the stem core. Very, very slight but it is leaking.

This brings me to the next issue, which stem cores to buy. I figure that the ones at Advanced Auto,etc. would not work well for a 125psi tire. Looking around the internet gives a lot of results but no clear choice.

I looked at the Shrader site and the are a lot of options for air applications.

Suggestions?​
              2022 Solitude-S 2930RL

Comment

I'd probably go for https://www.napaonline.com/en/p/NTH90416 200 psi rating.
                Joseph
                Tow
                Vehicle: 2024 GMC K3500 Denali Ultimate Diesel
                Coach: 303RLS Delivered March 5, 2021
                South of Houston Texas

Comment

Originally posted by rtrainer View Post
                  Finally had some time to stick it in a tube of water. Found the the leak is in the stem core. Very, very slight but it is leaking.

This brings me to the next issue, which stem cores to buy. I figure that the ones at Advanced Auto,etc. would not work well for a 125psi tire. Looking around the internet gives a lot of results but no clear choice.

I looked at the Shrader site and the are a lot of options for air applications.

Suggestions?​
                  Do you have a trusted tire store near you like Discount tire or Big O. They have good replacement valve cores and can offer good advice.
                  2018 Reflection 150 Series 220RK 5th whee, Star White 2022 F350 King Ranch CC Long bed (HAL) (CCC 4062lbs), B&W 25K OEM Companion,. SteadyFast system, Trailer reverse lights, rear receiver spare tire holder, storage tube, sumo springs, Victron MultiPlus 12/120/3000, Solar, Custom 6K axles upgrade, and other modifications.

Comment

Working...
                  X