Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tire Rotation X Pattern

Cate&Rob (and anyone else who may have an input);

A previous recommendation on the forum is to rotate tires in an "X" pattern (I think based on Lionhead's input). Naturally there's more than one pattern that returned when a search was conducted for "x pattern tire rotation". There are three options as shown below. (!)

Click image for larger version  Name:	Screenshot_20231130-083745_Firefox[1].jpg Views:	0 Size:	68.6 KB ID:	124582
    What I'm doing is the "Rearward Cross". Does it matter which pattern is chosen?

Howard
    Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

2017 Ford F-350 DRW, '19 315RLTSPlus

Personally I was a forward cross for years, lately I have gone Rear cross on vehicles.

Personally, I think as long as you avoid the true X pattern life should be good.
    Joseph
    Tow
    Vehicle: 2024 GMC K3500 Denali Ultimate Diesel
    Coach: 303RLS Delivered March 5, 2021
    South of Houston Texas

Comment

I use the X pattern. In addition to this being recommended by Lionhead, this moves the tires from the "heavy" side to the "light" side (and vice versa) on my Reflection 303RLS.

Rob
      Cate & Rob
      (with Border Collies Molly & Angel + Kitties Hazel & Elsie)
      2015 Reflection 303RLS
      2022 F350 Diesel CC SB SRW Lariat
      Bayham, Ontario, Canada

Comment

Originally posted by Cate&Rob View Post
        I use the X pattern. In addition to this being recommended by Lionhead, this moves the tires from the "heavy" side to the "light" side (and vice versa) on my Reflection 303RLS.

Rob
        Me too... X it is.

Mike
        Mike & Sonya
        2017 Silverado 1500, 5.3, Tow Pkg, RAS
        Blue Ox SwayPro
        2021 2400BH (DeBunked)

Comment

Rob
          I've always done front axle to rear axle...keep tires rotating in the same direction. But....with the 303RLS, Rob makes a lot of sense there. I'll change up.
          2018 Dodge 3500 6.7 Cummins w Aisin and 9 cup holders
          Electricians were created because engineers need heroes too....

Comment

Scott'n'Wendy There was a time in the early days of radial tires that keeping them rotating in the same direction was important. I think that was about 40 or 50 years ago . . . Yikes !

Rob
            Cate & Rob
            2015 Reflection 303RLS
            Bayham, Ontario, Canada

Comment

Cate&Rob That was only yesterday or so. Not been driving that long, but I do remember those days (very vaguely).

Funny thing is a "kid" at work's FIL is into old cars. The kid does all of his work on them but for the life of himself cannot understand the ground based control and why when he replace select items you have to "re-calibrate" the switches. I keep telling him technology from the 60's and 70's was based on MFG tolerances of whole millimeters not 1/10th the thickness of paper.

It took me a week of teams chatting with him before he finally came up with the idea to re-set the starter switch after replacing the key cylinder because the key cylinder should not affect the position of the starter switch.....

This actually reminds me a lot of the RV industry. They are modern enough to keep the younger happy and interested, but MFG has not moved into the modern era. Everything in an RV is pretty much hand built like autos from before the 90's vs machines like modern autos.
              Joseph
              Tow
              Vehicle: 2024 GMC K3500 Denali Ultimate Diesel
              Coach: 303RLS Delivered March 5, 2021
              South of Houston Texas

Comment

Scott'n'Wendy There was a time in the early days of radial tires that keeping them rotating in the same direction was important. I think that was about 40 or 50 years ago . . . Yikes !

Rob
                Cate&Rob
                Actually 2 out of our 3 vehicles cannot use the x pattern because they have directional radial tires......

Comment

Originally posted by Scott'n'Wendy View Post

Cate&Rob
                  Actually 2 out of our 3 vehicles cannot use the x pattern because they have directional radial tires......
                  Agreed that directional tires (including most snow tires) have changed the rotation plan to “same side” . . . but, trailer tires are not directional.

Rob

Cate & Rob
                  2015 Reflection 303RLS
                  Bayham, Ontario, Canada

Comment

The rearward X is what I use since the TV manual calls for that on it. I just do both units the same.
                    Robert and Chris
                    2021 XLS 22MLE (somewhat factory stock)
                    2018 Silverado 1500 Z71 Crew Cab

Comment

How many miles between tire rotation. 5k, 7.5k , or 10k

Comment

Originally posted by Bobsrv View Post
                        How many miles between tire rotation. 5k, 7.5k , or 10k
                        12K miles or 12 months . . . same as pulling the hubs for brake and wheel bearing inspection.

Rob

Cate & Rob
                        2015 Reflection 303RLS
                        Bayham, Ontario, Canada

Comment

12K miles or 12 months . . . same as pulling the hubs for brake and wheel bearing inspection.

Rob
                          Or for you...same time as pulling the suspension apart

Comment

So, I'm going to be really stupid and throw this in here. What do us 3 axle folks do?
                            "No place to go, No hurry to get there"
                            2019 GD Momentum 376 TH
                            2015 Dodge 3500 Cummins
                            2015 HD Ultra Classic Limited

Comment

Originally posted by Scott'n'Wendy View Post

Or for you...same time as pulling the suspension apart
                              I do seem to have a preoccupation with this activity LOL!

Rob

Cate & Rob
                              2015 Reflection 303RLS
                              Bayham, Ontario, Canada

Comment

Working...
                              X