GY Endurance valve stem failure

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GY Endurance valve stem failure

My wife and I bought a new 2022 GD 260RD in August 2022 shortly after retiring. We've logged about 10K miles and really enjoying it. On our most recent trip to see one of our Sons and his family at Randolph AFB in Texas then camping at Padre Island, one of our GY Endurance tires blew suddenly. Thankfully, I installed the Tire Link TPMS and was alerted immediately and able to safely pull off at a nearby exit and to a service station where we parked. We called Good Sam for assistance but due to being Jan 1, no help came and no call back either but that's another story. I noticed immediately that the valve stem was severely damaged at the base. A good Samaritan stopped next to us a rolled up his sleeve to help me change the tire out and replace with the provided spare. Got back on the road and made it OK. The next day,went to Discount Tire and bought a new GY Endurance and replaced the cheap spare with a GY Endurance as well.
    Question 1: I asked the tire shop to inspect the other stems but after reading so much about how common bad stems are on these tires, should I be taking additional precautions?
    Question 2: When the good Samaritan and the tire shop jacked up my RV, they used the axle! I didn't think much about it at the time but now that I am reading more and more, this was apparently a mistake. What are the possible consequences and remedies if the axle is bowed

Welcome to the forum, sorry to have you join under such circumstances. Honestly I have not heard about many valve stem failures, except for when people us screw on TPMS sensors. When using those you want metal valve stems. I have seen on my father in laws rig the weight of the sensor pulling the stem to the side enough that they rub the wheel and eventually rub through and fail.

Lifting from the axle is a no-no according to the book but most do it. The key is you want to lift below the u-bolt, and distribute the weight evenly between the u-bolts. If they lifted it there they are probably fine, but the further towards the center they position the jack the more chance they bent the axle. If it is bent your first sign will be uneven tire wear. If your tires wear evenly after a few thousand miles you should be fine.
    Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

Neil Citro
    2018 Reflection 28BH Pepwave
    2019 F350 6.7L Long Bed Crew Cab

Comment

Tires dont have valve stems.

Some stems fail with those heavy tpms devices.
      Use steel stems. Also have your wheels balanced anytime you add weight to them.
      USN Engineer Retired
      2020 RAM 2500 CC 6.7 Cummins
      2022 GD Reflection 315RLTS

Comment

If you do not want to buy new metal valve stems, or the rim will not take a metal valve stem (my last trailer rims would not), you can buy a metal sleeve that goes over the rubber valve stem and works just as well. Some tire stores, and auto stores have them, Amazon also. If you do not have a metal valve stem, or a metal sleeve on the rubber valve stem, no matter what tire you have, with a TPMS screwed on the valve stem, it is only a matter of time before it fails again.
        2021 GD Momentum 320G 8K Axle
        2023 Chevy 3500HD LTZ SB CC 4x4 Dmax

Comment

Valves stems have nothing to do with tires. They mount on the wheels and are separate from tires.
          John & Kathy
          2014 Reflection 303RLS
          2014 F250 SC SB 6.2

Comment

Blame your tire shop or road debris - new valve stems should be installed on your rims whenever you replace the tires. Nothing to do with the type of tires.
            Eddie & Kathy
            2021 Imagine 2970RL
            2019 Ram 2500 Laramie Mega Cab 4x4 Cummins 6.7L
            Houston, TX

Comment

Many tire shops do not stock metal valve stems that will fit the stock wheels on a GD trailer. Automotive stores sell specialized stems that will work. I found some at a local O'Reilly's store.
              2020 Reflection 273MK
              2005 Dodge Ram 2500 CTD

Comment

Originally posted by Kinkade View Post
                My wife and I bought a new 2022 GD 260RD in August 2022 shortly after retiring. We've logged about 10K miles and really enjoying it. On our most recent trip to see one of our Sons and his family at Randolph AFB in Texas then camping at Padre Island, one of our GY Endurance tires blew suddenly. Thankfully, I installed the Tire Link TPMS and was alerted immediately and able to safely pull off at a nearby exit and to a service station where we parked. We called Good Sam for assistance but due to being Jan 1, no help came and no call back either but that's another story. I noticed immediately that the valve stem was severely damaged at the base. A good Samaritan stopped next to us a rolled up his sleeve to help me change the tire out and replace with the provided spare. Got back on the road and made it OK. The next day,went to Discount Tire and bought a new GY Endurance and replaced the cheap spare with a GY Endurance as well.
                Question 1: I asked the tire shop to inspect the other stems but after reading so much about how common bad stems are on these tires, should I be taking additional precautions?
                Question 2: When the good Samaritan and the tire shop jacked up my RV, they used the axle! I didn't think much about it at the time but now that I am reading more and more, this was apparently a mistake. What are the possible consequences and remedies if the axle is bowed
                First, valve stems have nothing to do with the tires. Apples and oranges. The most likely explanations are that some sort of debris hit the stem or it was installed incorrectly. Are the stems short or long? Is your TPMS factory or after market screw on top of the valve stem type? If it’s the screw on type, you must have metal valve stems or the stem will fail due to the extra weight of the sensor.

Lifting the tire off the ground using the axle is okay. Provided that it is only lifted enough to remove the tire and the lifting point is directly under the spring pack. Have done this for many years and never had a problem.
                Rich
                Last edited by guest2; 01-14-2024, 09:07 PM.

Comment

I just went through this today! A couple of weeks ago I discovered a low tire on our 2023 320MKS (1492 miles so far) so I flagged it on my list for the dealer to fix on last week's visit to them. They replaced the valve stem, but only with another rubber one. I picked up the rig yesterday (they told me they set at 80psi), and this morning I checked it and it was 56psi. I called my dealer, but the only option they had was to drive another 40 miles to have it fixed. So I took the tire after unmounting it to a local tire shop about a 1/2 mile from the house. In 15 minutes, they replaced at a cost of $10- AND replaced it with a steel stem. I was so impressed that I went home, mounted the tire, then hooked up the 320 and took it down there so they could replace the other 3. Done...in less than 30 minutes. I should have done this 2 weeks ago!!!!
                  Sean & Maureen Haney
                  2023 Reflection 320MKS
                  Pulled By a 2017 Ford F350 Lariat 6.7L 4WD Dually

Comment

Working...
                  X