Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Used 2021 Image, trust the original tires or buy new?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Used 2021 Image, trust the original tires or buy new?

We recently bought my granddaughter’s 2021 Image SE 2670 that she and her husband lived in while building their house. Except to tow it home to our house 1/2 way across Texas, and a couple of small trips, the original tires have very little “road miles” use on them.
    We are about to start a cross country month long trip in the camper. Are the original tires considered “China bombs” so it would be best to buy all new tires, if so what do you recommend best to buy for long road trips?

That is a hard question to answer. Usually tires "age" out before the treads are worn, usually get about 5 years from the DOT date code on the tire. Buying new tires does not guarantee you will not have an issue. Plenty of owners have had good luck with the Westlake tires, I did. I think you will need to make the decision that best fits you and gives you the warm fuzzy happy feeling.

Brian
    Brian & Michelle
    2018 Reflection 29RS
    2022 Chevy 3500HD

Comment

One of several factors that cause trailer tires to not last as long as vehicle tires is that the trailer often sits for long periods without being moved. This can cause a flat spot on the tire, as well as additional deterioration, creating a weak spot. In your case it sounds like the trailer sat for at least a couple of years without being moved. Couple that with the age of the tires and maybe OEM tires of low quality, and I'm thinking I would definitely replace all of the tires.
      2020 Reflection 273MK
      2005 Dodge Ram 2500 CTD

Comment

A couple of things I have noticed about tires and failures (at least for me) is steel cords. If the trailer has sat for any period of time on the ground or in direct contact with concrete, the moisture can wick up through micro cracks in in the rubber and start deteriorating the steel cords.

Let's throw in another factor, time. What's your time and safety worth on the side of the road changing a tire????? To me that is a 0 thought process. When in Doubt, Err on the side of caution.

4 tires may cost you $800 or so, but 30 seconds on the side of the interstate with a street side tire failure can cost you everything. After I had the first tire go missing on the 1st 5er we owned, and immediately after getting it back and experiencing a tire failure (luckily we were 1/4 mile from an exit) it got 4 new tires, no questions. The unit was less than 14 months old and had experienced 2 failures, one unknown other than it cost an axle (bearings hub and brakes all gone with the tire and rim) and the other what appeared to be a tread failure as the cords were still there in a hoop just no tread.
        Joseph
        Tow
        Vehicle: 2024 GMC K3500 Denali Ultimate Diesel
        Coach: 303RLS Delivered March 5, 2021
        South of Houston Texas

Comment

What you you recommend to be best brand of RV tires and 10 ply or 12 ply to purchase?

Comment

If I may chime in I would suggest Goodyear Endurance. Made in the US, they are well rated and they run cool. Also keep your RV tires covered and that will help with UV. It's a good idea to get your rig weight per axle and go to Goodyear's website and run the pressure recommended on their chart. After 3 blowouts with china bombs we also now monitor the tires for extra peace of mind. Hope this helps! Keep on truckin...
            Last edited by Vortex; 01-27-2024, 12:16 PM.
            2023 Momentum 351MS pulled by Casper, Tri-Coat Platinum 2012 F350 Super Cab single RW 4WD. Toys: 2003 Screaming Eagle Deuce, 2003 Screamin Eagle Roadking, 2017 CVO Ultra Limited. Secured in garage with B&W Biker Bars.

Comment

Amazing how the “China bomb” moniker which originated with one batch of tires over 20 years ago . . . continues to be applied (without data) to many different brands of tires. A few years ago, Goodyear began manufacturing trailer tires in the US. Many believe that these tires are better because of where they are manufactured. You do not have to dig too deep (even on this forum) to find examples of Goodyear tire failure similar to tires from other manufacturers.

But, back to your question. A fresh set of trailer tires (from a number of current manufacturers) is a good “insurance policy”. The fact that you are concerned enough to ask the question, means that you will sleep better with new tires. Remember to also have the hubs pulled to inspect the brakes and bearings . . . note that your owners manual recommends this every 12 months or 12,000 miles.

Rob
              Cate & Rob
              (with Border Collies Molly & Angel + Kitties Hazel & Elsie)
              2015 Reflection 303RLS
              2022 F350 Diesel CC SB SRW Lariat
              Bayham, Ontario, Canada

Comment

Bjgill17

I'm in the "replace them" camp. When my 315RLTS was fairly new, I replaced the OEM-supplied Westlakes with Goodyear Endurances for all the reasons cited in this thread. Due to factors outside of their control the Goodyears didn't last long, but definitely recommended for your Imagine.

I'll also second Cate&Rob's advice to get the brakes and bearings inspected / repacked. While you're at it, an inspection of the suspension (wet bolts, bushings, etc) is also something I'd do before setting out on a long trip. (If you're recoiling at all of this maintenance...welcome to owning an RV!)

If you're not quite sure of all that should be looked at, Rob's an extremely knowledgeable individual on this topic (along with several others on this forum) so don't hesitate to ask questions.

Howard
                Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

Howard & Francine
                2017 Ford F-350 DRW, '19 315RLTSPlus

Comment

IMO, if they are Endurance tires, my 2021 Reflection came with Endurance tires..replace after 5 years of use...or sitting with weight on them. If it's less than 5 years...roll on down the hwy.
                  More importantly, to me, suggested by Cate&Rob is repacking the bearings before an extended trip...make sure you do that.

If this is your first long trip, take advantage of all the good advice and knowledge available here before you go.
                  2018 Dodge 3500 6.7 Cummins w Aisin and 9 cup holders
                  2021 303RLS
                  Electricians were created because engineers need heroes too...

Comment

Bjgill17 We have had Goodyear Endurance Tires and have been pleased with them on our small toy hauler. They tend to last about 2 years in the Texas weather before they should be replaced. We keep them covered when in storage but still only get about 2 years out of them due to dry-rot/cracking.

On a trip last year going through Memphis Tennessee (terrible roads), we blew a tire. Nothing punctures it....the tire was just too old (about 2.5 years old). I would rather buy new tires, than have a blowout, damage your trailer, and have to buy new tires anyway.
                    Allen

2021 Momentum 21G

Comment

I was of the mind to replace mine right away, but decided to wait and see. Had the rv 3months and one of the Westlake China Bomb tires threw a belt and did about $900 damage to the rv. Replaced all four tires with Goodyear Endurance trailer tires and have not had any problems since- on my second set now and had no road failures with them. Tires are one thing I feel like you should never cheap out on and I really can’t understand the Grand Design mentality of saving a few bucks and putting us at risk with low quality cheap tires.
                      Eddie & Kathy
                      2021 Imagine 2970RL
                      2019 Ram 2500 Laramie Mega Cab 4x4 Cummins 6.7L
                      Houston, TX

Comment

Originally posted by acoleman43 View Post
                        We keep them covered when in storage but still only get about 2 years out of them due to dry-rot/cracking.
                        How long do you get out of the truck LT's down there in Texas?
                        You are the first person I've heard saying they only get two years out of a set of trailer tires. Mind you...I'm a couple miles north of you....lol

2018 Dodge 3500 6.7 Cummins w Aisin and 9 cup holders
                        2021 303RLS
                        Electricians were created because engineers need heroes too...

Comment

On my 2018 GMC I was getting about 3.5 years but they are bald by that point in time.
                          Joseph
                          Tow
                          Vehicle: 2024 GMC K3500 Denali Ultimate Diesel
                          Coach: 303RLS Delivered March 5, 2021
                          South of Houston Texas

Comment

Originally posted by Scott'n'Wendy View Post
                            You are the first person I've heard saying they only get two years out of a set of trailer tires. Mind you...I'm a couple miles north of you....lol
                            That is a little weird. I live in TX and although my trailer sits next to my house, the tires are not in direct sun light, I'm just getting ready to replace my GY Endurance tires that are almost 5 years old, and still look good. I'm wondering if the 2 year old tires had set on the shelf for a while before being sold? I always try to get recent DOT build date tires when I buy.
                            2020 Reflection 273MK
                            2005 Dodge Ram 2500 CTD

Comment

Originally posted by Scott'n'Wendy View Post
                              I usually wear them out around 40,000 miles....3 or 4 years.

For some reason trailer tires don't last long for me.
                              Allen

2021 Momentum 21G

Comment

Working...
                              X