Brake failure - poorly secured wires

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Brake failure - poorly secured wires

We on our way from AZ to MN with our trailer, which now has about 8,000 miles. I noticed today that it felt like I'd lost an axle w/r to brakes, and sure enough, found a wire that had pulled out of a connector (It appears so, but I'll have a closer look when at home. It may have fatigued and broken off inside the connector). Stopped at a hardware store, picked up a wire nut, and got it fixed tonight at our last stop on our way home.

It is no surprise that the wire failed, given how unsupported it was. I will redo this junction and tie down all the other floppy wires once I'm home.

Losing half of the trailer brakes is a potentially serious problem.

I recommend everyone have a look under their rigs, with a handful of zip ties ready to nail stuff down. Just be sure there is a loop for suspension travel.

image widget
    Ottertail, Minnesota
    2022 Imagine 2500RL VIN 573TE3029N6637046
    2022 Ford F-150 Lariat, SuperCrew, long box, max tow

I'll second that!

Last fall I experienced the same issue and found a wire to the front axle disconnected and swinging in the breeze. The quick connect style of connectors seems to be the culprit. It squeezes the wire and partially cuts some wire stands while its cutting through the insulation. I did a quick fix with a normal wire nut but when I got home I installed a water tight nut that has some silicone in it. Two weeks ago I took the Imagine out of winter storage to get its axles greased up and they discovered the rear axle had the same issue. I'm going to go through all connections with some heat shrink and water proof connectors when it warms up more.
    Mitchell & Kitty
    2022 Imagine 2670MK
    2024 Ram 2500 6.7 diesel

Comment

Here's a quick and easy way to see if all your magnets are getting current to activate them. Hook up the trailer and have someone sit in the driver's seat. Hold an old fashioned magnetic compass near the bottom half of the wheel. Have the person in the driver's seat push on the brake pedal. If the brakes are working properly, you'll see the needle on the compass deflect. Repeat for all wheels.

Jim
      Jim and Ginnie
      2024 Solitude 310GK - 2020 F350 Dually
      GDRV Technical Forum Moderator
      GDRV Rally Support Coordinator

Comment

Working...
      X