Suspension POP while leveling

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Suspension POP while leveling

When we level our first ever 5th wheel, the suspension on the drivers side makes a popping sound, and the center hanger moves in small jumps as it tilts to adjust to the angle of the trailer. This does not seem right. I am wondering if this indicates a failure, or the suspension just needs grease? We have only towed around the block so far, and plan to grease the wet bolts Ince the puddle under the RV dries this week. Also: I have looked for the recommended maintenance, and so far I have found threads about replacing components more frequently than I would have guessed, but nothing about greasing bearings and suspension. Where would I find that information?
    2022 Reflection 280RS
    2022 Silverado 2500 Duramax

Is the trailer significantly off level from side to side before you do the auto level?
    John & Kathy
    2014 Reflection 303RLS
    2014 F250 SC SB 6.2

Comment

Originally posted by steveluannj View Post
      When we level our first ever 5th wheel, the suspension on the drivers side makes a popping sound, and the center hanger moves in small jumps as it tilts to adjust to the angle of the trailer. This does not seem right. I am wondering if this indicates a failure, or the suspension just needs grease? We have only towed around the block so far, and plan to grease the wet bolts Ince the puddle under the RV dries this week. Also: I have looked for the recommended maintenance, and so far I have found threads about replacing components more frequently than I would have guessed, but nothing about greasing bearings and suspension. Where would I find that information?
      Its tough to find it all in one place. Some of the maintenance is in your owners manual. In addition there may be a Lippert, Dexter, or other brand flyer in the black bag from GD.. Lippert and Dexter both have maintenance information on thier web sites For example I have a Dexter EZ-Flex center section. It should be greased every 3 months or 3000 miles. I do all my wet bolts at the same time. I also have gotten in the habit to grease before every trip. Bearing repack every 12K miles, or two years.. Ill bet your wet bolts and center section need greasing.

I carry a 10,000 psi grease gun (full body pump handle) with a LockNLube tip along with several tubes of grease. Something like this https://locknlube.com/collections/gr...1171678789656#
      I use the Red nTacky Lucas brand. https://www.amazon.com/s?k=lucas+red...l_2872nk8p0h_e That way I can touch things up on the road.

Hope this helps
      Keith
      2018 Reflection 150 Series 220RK 5th whee, Star White 2022 F350 King Ranch CC Long bed (HAL) (CCC 4062lbs), B&W 25K OEM Companion,. SteadyFast system, Trailer reverse lights, rear receiver spare tire holder, storage tube, sumo springs, Victron MultiPlus 12/120/3000, Solar, Custom 6K axles upgrade, and other modifications.

Comment

Originally posted by Yoda View Post

Its tough to find it all in one place. Some of the maintenance is in your owners manual. In addition there may be a Lippert, Dexter, or other brand flyer in the black bag from GD.. Lippert and Dexter both have maintenance information on thier web sites For example I have a Dexter EZ-Flex center section. It should be greased every 3 months or 3000 miles. I do all my wet bolts at the same time. I also have gotten in the habit to grease before every trip. Bearing repack every 12K miles, or two years.. Ill bet your wet bolts and center section need greasing.

I carry a 10,000 psi grease gun (full body pump handle) with a LockNLube tip along with several tubes of grease. Something like this https://locknlube.com/collections/gr...1171678789656#
        I use the Red nTacky Lucas brand. https://www.amazon.com/s?k=lucas+red...l_2872nk8p0h_e That way I can touch things up on the road.

Hope this helps
        Keith
        This is not new, so I have no paper from GD. I downloaded the 5th wheel manual from the GD site, but it had nothing much. Will try the suspension site for more info. Thanks!
        2022 Reflection 280RS

Comment

Originally posted by Jkwilson View Post
          Is the trailer significantly off level from side to side before you do the auto level?
          No, it is level when parked it. Will try to get a video to explain it better.
          2022 Reflection 280RS

Comment

I crawled underneath and greased all the zerks- it looks like someone did before me- there is a lot of grease spread around. Some of the zerks took grease fine, some barely did. I am not sure what to expect there. I attached a video of the noise,. which seems like dry joints to me. Do I need to move it around for the grease to distribute?
            Attached Files
            2022 Reflection 280RS

Comment

Originally posted by steveluannj View Post
              I crawled underneath and greased all the zerks- it looks like someone did before me- there is a lot of grease spread around. Some of the zerks took grease fine, some barely did. I am not sure what to expect there. I attached a video of the noise,. which seems like dry joints to me. Do I need to move it around for the grease to distribute?
              Binding, for sure. Why it's bindingis the mystery. One of the suspension experts here (like Cate&Rob ) will have some input, I'm sure. My first instinct is to take it all apart and inspect the individual components, replacing wear items as required, but we'll see what the folks with first-hand knowledge have to say.

Howard
              Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

Howard & Francine
              2017 Ford F-350 DRW, '19 315RLTSPlus

Comment

steveluannj

My Morryde equalizer does the same pop movement you are seeing. I like to think of it as the quantum movement, or digital step movement, depending which field of work you're in

Anyways, the only thing I could think of causing it is when I was installing that equalizer, I noticed the hangar bracket was not perfectly square / aligned with the frame in all directions. It took a little persuasion to get the bolt aligned at time of installation. It goes away when I put extra grease through the associated wet bolt though. I assume the inside face of the hangar is creating fiction with the equalizer.
                2019 Imagine 2400BH
                2019 F150 XLT Super Crew, EcoBoost, 6.5' box, Max tow package with 3.55 ratio

Comment

Originally posted by StephenO View Post
                  steveluannj

My Morryde equalizer does the same pop movement you are seeing. I like to think of it as the quantum movement, or digital step movement, depending which field of work you're in

Anyways, the only thing I could think of causing it is when I was installing that equalizer, I noticed the hangar bracket was not perfectly square / aligned with the frame in all directions. It took a little persuasion to get the bolt aligned at time of installation. It goes away when I put extra grease through the associated wet bolt though. I assume the inside face of the hangar is creating fiction with the equalizer.
                  Funny you should mention alignment- I noticed this when I was underneath. Does not look like damage, but definitely not plumb and level.
                  Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4142.jpg
Views:	83
Size:	100.4 KB
ID:	131684
                  2022 Reflection 280RS

Comment

I just watched your attached video (a great way to describe the issue BTW . . . I wish everyone would do this). That is a lot of repeated popping noises without anything visibly “jumping” to make the noise. A PITA to accomplish, but the only way to sort this out (that I can think of) is to support the frame and axles so that the bolts can be removed from the spring eyes on each side of the equalizer to investigate what is making this noise.

Rob
                    Cate & Rob
                    (with Border Collies Molly & Angel + Kitties Hazel & Elsie)
                    2015 Reflection 303RLS
                    2022 F350 Diesel CC SB SRW Lariat
                    Bayham, Ontario, Canada

Comment

Working...
                    X