Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lippert axles (Purpose for Hole?)

Good afternoon,

2024 17MKE with lippert axles. They are 3000 pound axles. On each side of the axle there is a hole. 3 of the holes have something in them and one does not. What is the purpose of these holes. Seems to me they will let water in and cause corrosion. Doesn't seem to be a likely spot for a grease fitting. I wanted to ask this forum before reaching out to Lippert directly. Anyone know the purpose of these holes? Pictures attached.
    Click image for larger version  Name:	tempFileForShare_20240427-133939.jpg Views:	0 Size:	38.6 KB ID:	132872 Click image for larger version  Name:	tempFileForShare_20240427-133910.jpg Views:	0 Size:	38.8 KB ID:	132873 Click image for larger version  Name:	tempFileForShare_20240427-134025.jpg Views:	0 Size:	59.4 KB ID:	132874
    Last edited by howson; 04-27-2024, 12:47 PM. Reason: Added to title to clarify thread's intent...

Normally, the brake control wires come out of the underbelly and connect to the brake circuit on the driver's side of the coach. Then, a pair of wires go into the hole you've identified and pass through the axle tube to the other side of the coach. The wires come out of the hole on the passenger side and then connect with the brake wires near the backing plate.

In your case, it appears the wires pass through the split wire loom and are zip tied in place. This is not the usual practice and appears that the wires were re-routed. Has anyone (including the dealer) worked on the brakes or axles since you purchased the unit?

If it were me, I'd ask my dealer why the wires are not inside the axle tube as intended.

Jim

P.S. That is quite a bit of corrosion on the axle tube. I'd wire brush that and then spray it with some Rustoleum Rust Reformer.
    Jim and Ginnie
    2024 Solitude 310GK - 2020 F350 Dually
    GDRV Technical Forum Moderator
    GDRV Rally Support Coordinator

Comment

I wonder if that is because of the new anti sway/anti lock brake system. Extra wires to be added for that system and it would easier to run the wires outside the axle tube.

Brian
      Brian & Michelle
      2018 Reflection 29RS
      2022 Chevy 3500HD

Comment

Thanks for the info. This makes sense. I added the split loom to protect the wiring. No one has done any work that I know of on this unit. It does have the anticlockwise braking system.

I will clean things up and paint it. I will also get some rubber plugs to plug those holes and keep moisture out, I will put some fluid film in each hole prior to plugging them.

Thanks.

Comment

Working...
        X