Brake problem

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Brake problem

Just recently had my left front brake over adjust on me and smoked the brake shoe on my 13 month old RF28BH. A trailer company that I trust very well with 40 plus years of business tells me to throw the worthless self adjusting brake systems in the garbage, they are junk, and put manual adjusting kit on it. My Dealer is telling me it's out of warranty even though they have had it 6 months for repairs out of the 13 months I have owned it. The other 3 drums were hot enough to burn your finger also. I cut the wires to the smoked one and tore apart to remove broken brake liner and had to adjust brakes way off to get it apart. 40 miles later it was tight again. Anyone else have this issue and any recommendations? Currently it's at Dealer waiting to hear back from them.

calord3
    Welcome to our owners technical forum!

You are not the first to report over tightening by the self-adjusting brake mechanism. Self adjusting brakes still have the manual adjust star wheel (which you obviously know . . . but others reading this might not) Removing the self adjusting pull cable will eliminate the self adjusting feature and then require "old school" brake adjustment that should stay where you put it.

Rob
    Cate & Rob
    (with Border Collies Molly & Angel + Kitties Hazel & Elsie)
    2015 Reflection 303RLS
    2022 F350 Diesel CC SB SRW Lariat
    Bayham, Ontario, Canada

Comment

You may also try to contact Grand Design Customer Service. Have your vin# and explain your situation, also let them know that the dealer had the unit for 6 mos. You may get some help but will not know until you ask.

Brian
      Brian & Michelle
      2018 Reflection 29RS
      2022 Chevy 3500HD

Comment

Originally posted by calord3 View Post
        Just recently had my left front brake over adjust on me and smoked the brake shoe on my 13 month old RF28BH. A trailer company that I trust very well with 40 plus years of business tells me to throw the worthless self adjusting brake systems in the garbage, they are junk, and put manual adjusting kit on it. My Dealer is telling me it's out of warranty even though they have had it 6 months for repairs out of the 13 months I have owned it. The other 3 drums were hot enough to burn your finger also. I cut the wires to the smoked one and tore apart to remove broken brake liner and had to adjust brakes way off to get it apart. 40 miles later it was tight again. Anyone else have this issue and any recommendations? Currently it's at Dealer waiting to hear back from them.
        Axles and brakes should still be under warranty. Brian is correct - give GD a call. Do you have the Dexter axles - they may be of help too.
        2018 Reflection 150 Series 220RK 5th whee, Star White 2022 F350 King Ranch CC Long bed (HAL) (CCC 4062lbs), B&W 25K OEM Companion,. SteadyFast system, Trailer reverse lights, rear receiver spare tire holder, storage tube, sumo springs, Victron MultiPlus 12/120/3000, Solar, Custom 6K axles upgrade, and other modifications.

Comment

Working...
        X