Tire sidewall cracking

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tire sidewall cracking

I've got the ST235-80R16 Westlake tires on my Solitude. Just beginning our 3rd season with the same tires. So far they've been great. Still plenty of tread and they hold air great. Well one was a little low, so I was airing it up this morning -- and that's when I noticed the cracks in the tire sidewall. See below:

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_20200616_100614.jpg Views:	0 Size:	64.2 KB ID:	21698

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_20200616_100623.jpg Views:	0 Size:	66.4 KB ID:	21700

I've done a web-search, and there's more than one source that opines this conclusion:

"The outer layer of rubber on the sidewall is simply a sealing layer to keep the elements away from the inner (structural) part of the tire—in other words, those unsightly cracks are purely cosmetic. If your tires start to get really deep cracks after 3-5 years, you might consider replacing them for peace of mind. If you haven't worn out a set of tires in 5-8 years, it's worth replacing them for safety's sake, even if there is still good tread left on the tires.

It is important to note that recreational vehicles—like your VW camper, maybe?—are more subject to tire cracking than everyday drivers. Long periods of "sitting" causes the rubber to dry out, and when you take your camper out for a drive, the rubber "splits" as it gets worked on the road. Again, this is nothing to worry about unless the cracks are exceptionally deep.

The bottom line is this: In almost every case we've seen, you do not need to worry—you just need to get out and camp!"

Does anyone disagree?

Also, I've never covered my RV tires to prevent UV exposure. I've always thought that to be the RV aftermarket industry just trying to get more money from me. Almost no one covers their car and truck tires. . .

-Steve
    Attached Files
    2018 Solitude 310GK, disc brakes
    Morryde SRE4000/XFactor with heavy duty shackles, V-Brackets in spring hangers
    2012 Ram 3500 SRW 6.7 Diesel, air bags
    18k B&W Companion, non-slider
    640 watts solar, 400 amp-hour Lion Safari UT 1300 battery bank
    Aims 1500 watt inverter/charger with ATS
    Somerset, WI

Steve - Caveat: I'm probably not the most unbiased person to respond to this thread.

There is rarely a day goes by that I don't see the damage caused to our RVs due to a Westlake tire failure. The various FaceBook pages are loaded with them. In fact, I had my own failure with one at 2 years, 7,000 miles. The cap of the tire came off and did a ton of damage to my rig. And the tire was still fully inflated after the failure. However, my cracks/failure occurred at the edge of the tire where the tread meets the body.

The cracks that you are showing are not what I'd call typical surface cracks. Those fall much more into the "Exceptionally Deep" version in my opinion.

It's your choice, but if it were me, I'd replace them. In fact, you may try contacting Lion's Head in Indiana to discuss this with them. They supplied GDRV with the Westlake tires and may have a warranty on them.

Jim and Ginnie
    2024 Solitude 310GK - 2020 F350 Dually
    GDRV Technical Forum Moderator
    GDRV Rally Support Coordinator

Comment

Originally posted by TucsonJim View Post

There is rarely a day goes by that I don't see the damage caused to our RVs due to a Westlake tire failure.
      I forgot to mention that my Westlake's are "G" rated. I'm pretty sure the consensus is that the Westlake failures are almost always with the "E" rated tires. There haven't been a lot of documented failures with the "G" rated Westlake's.

-Steve
      2018 Solitude 310GK, disc brakes
      Morryde SRE4000/XFactor with heavy duty shackles, V-Brackets in spring hangers
      2012 Ram 3500 SRW 6.7 Diesel, air bags
      18k B&W Companion, non-slider
      640 watts solar, 400 amp-hour Lion Safari UT 1300 battery bank
      Aims 1500 watt inverter/charger with ATS
      Somerset, WI

Comment

Even if these were $1000 tires I would still replace them. You seem to do more traveling than we do and I myself would not take a chance on ruining a trip. YMMV

Brian
        Brian & Michelle
        2018 Reflection 29RS
        2022 Chevy 3500HD

Comment

Originally posted by steve&renee View Post

I forgot to mention that my Westlake's are "G" rated. I'm pretty sure the consensus is that the Westlake failures are almost always with the "E" rated tires. There haven't been a lot of documented failures with the "G" rated Westlake's.

-Steve
          That is very true. BTW, Starting in mid-May, GDRV started installing 17.5" rims with Cooper "H" rated tires on all Momentums. That's quite a change.

Jim
          Jim and Ginnie
          2024 Solitude 310GK - 2020 F350 Dually
          GDRV Technical Forum Moderator
          GDRV Rally Support Coordinator

Comment

Working...
          X