Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is the MorRyde CRE3000 equalizer a bucking bronco?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is the MorRyde CRE3000 equalizer a bucking bronco?

I "upgraded" to the MorRyde CRE3000 with heavy duty shackles, brass bushings, and X-Factor between the equalizers. We just finished the first longer trip (1400 miles) on the new suspension.

First thing that happened was the Norcold double refrigerator doors came unlatched. We now travel with a retaining cord, so no damage, but this hasn't happened since we started being extra careful about making sure the latches were locked in place.

Next thing was we noticed a lot more chucking on roads that didn't appear to be rougher than we're used to.

We also noticed stuff that used to stay put while traveling was now falling on the floor.

Then when we got home yesterday, more valences and window trim was on the floor. Repairs underway, but. . .

I thought the CRE3000 was supposed to smooth the ride out, not make it worse.

Anyone have any similar experiences?

-Steve
    2018 Solitude 310GK, disc brakes
    Morryde SRE4000/XFactor with heavy duty shackles, V-Brackets in spring hangers
    2012 Ram 3500 SRW 6.7 Diesel, air bags
    18k B&W Companion, non-slider
    640 watts solar, 400 amp-hour Lion Safari UT 1300 battery bank
    Aims 1500 watt inverter/charger with ATS
    Somerset, WI

I've now read several posts praising the MorRyde CRE3000 as being a better ride. I wonder if the bad ride I'm getting after "upgrading" my suspension has to do with the X-Factor I installed between the equalizers. Best I can tell, the X-Factor is not a common upgrade.

-Steve
    Somerset, WI

Comment

Steve

It doesn't seem plausible that the X-Factor brace would cause this. All it's supposed to do is keep the spring hangers from flexing from side to side. It the change was attributed to the brace, that means that your spring hangers must have really been moving around.

I put all the other components you mention in my TT, and I'm not experiencing a rough ride at all.

By any chance, did you change the brand of tires or the air pressure in them?

Jim
      Jim and Ginnie
      2024 Solitude 310GK - 2020 F350 Dually
      GDRV Technical Forum Moderator
      GDRV Rally Support Coordinator

Comment

Originally posted by steve&renee View Post
        I've now read several posts praising the MorRyde CRE3000 as being a better ride. I wonder if the bad ride I'm getting after "upgrading" my suspension has to do with the X-Factor I installed between the equalizers. Best I can tell, the X-Factor is not a common upgrade.

-Steve
        I have read the same thing that when you go to the MorRyde CRE 3000 that it smooths out the ride and things that used to move don't move anymore. Seems like you are having the opposite happen. Sorry I don't have any experience with this though. I was thinking of doing this at some point but have not yet and now may not if you are having a bad experience.

Did you call MorRyde technical support and see what they say?

Rob
        Rob & Barb
        2022 RAM 3500 Big Horn, 6.7 Cummins HO/Aisin
        2022 Solitude 378MBS

Comment

steve&renee

The X factor bracket stiffens the hangers in the lateral direction which you would not want any of that motion under any condition. The X factor is mandatory on the SRE4000 to stiffen up the hangers because the SRE4000 unit is taller, so to reduce the added lateral forces the X factor bracket is recommended. The X factor can also be used on the CRE3000 where you still have the same benefit of lateral stiffening where this is just an extra measure to support the hangers. This bracket has no influence in the Z direction which would be the up and down motion of the suspension.

Same question as Tucson. Has anything changed with the tires?

There is one other change which I have experienced with this system and this is the reduced friction with the greaseable bushings. On my Imagine I've noticed the additional suspension travel and additional body roll in tight turns at intersections. So its odd that your ride would be more harsh. Did your solitude have greaseable bushings before installing this system or the nylon or forever bushings? In my case I played with the air pressure since I have overrated tires on my rig. You most likely do not have this option on the heavy Solitude unless perhaps you have moved up to a heavier grade tire?

Steve also depending on your wheelbase (axle to axle centerline measurement) there is a CRE3000 for 35 inch wheels bases and another for 33 inch wheel bases. Make sure the proper units were installed based on this measurement. Can you post a picture of the CRE3000 with shackles?

There is a CRE-2 33 3000 and a CRE-2 35 3000.

Here is a statement below from a reviewer on Amazon that raises this question.

"Make sure you order the correct size it is based upon wheel base. Which is part of the part number. In my case I needed 35. The 33 mounted very easy but probably led to me breaking a leaf spring during a trip"

Jim
          Last edited by Guest; 07-14-2020, 07:10 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by MidwestCamper View Post
            steve&renee

Same question as Tucson. Has anything changed with the tires?

Did your solitude have greaseable bushings before installing this system or the nylon or forever bushings?

There is a CRE-2 33 3000 and a CRE-2 35 3000.
            Nothing had changed with the tires when I started noticing the rougher ride. I did change the Westlake G's to Hercules G's last week, but the MorRyde upgrade has been in place for 3-4 months.

The OEM suspension had two grease fittings for each equalizer, but I only discovered them when I changed the equalizers out -- so the old suspension had never been re-greased. The bushings in the old suspension were bronze, just like the MorRyde, and most were worn out.

My Solitude requires the 35" equalizer. I measured, and that's what I ordered and installed.

I haven't contacted MorRyde, but that's a good idea. I'll update this thread after I make contact.

Thanks, all, for the feedback.

-Steve
            Somerset, WI

Comment

Steve,

A call to MorRyde is definitely a good call.

Jim

Comment

steve&renee Steve,

Did MorRyde provide some feedback in what could be causing the rough ride?

Jim

Comment

Originally posted by MidwestCamper View Post
                  steve&renee Steve,

Did MorRyde provide some feedback in what could be causing the rough ride?

Jim
                  I've been busy/lazy. Your question finally prompted me to contact MorRyde via their support link. An "after market sales" gal got back to me right away with a dedicated email -- requesting information that she could give their engineers so they could analyze the problem. They wanted to know GWAR, CAT scale weights, and details about the previous suspension. She also said that if I was near Elkhart, the engineers would like to have a look-see. Unfortunately, I was down there in June having LCI install spring-hanger V-brackets, and I don't fancy another trip so soon.

Anyway, MorRyde's quick response at least gives me a warm fuzzy. I'll post back if there's any useful feedback.

-Steve
                  Somerset, WI

Comment

Me and my two friends with their 2600RB's have all upgraded to the MorRyde 3000 and upgraded springs... We have not noticed any of the issues you are speaking of. In fact...I have noticed those things you speak of have stopped happening... Now the refrigerator never came open on me...That sounds concerning and a different issue to me.
                    2021 Reflection 295RL
                    2004 Dodge 2500 Ram

US Navy CPO(ret)

Comment

Originally posted by dohertycm View Post
                      Me and my two friends with their 2600RB's have all upgraded to the MorRyde 3000 and upgraded springs... We have not noticed any of the issues you are speaking of. In fact...I have noticed those things you speak of have stopped happening... Now the refrigerator never came open on me...That sounds concerning and a different issue to me.
                      The MorRyde aftermarket sales gal made this really generous offer: "The CRE should have improved your ride given the information provided. I would like to offer you the SRE as an upgrade. It has a full 4” of suspension travel, which is 1” more than the CRE."

That would have been sweet, but I had heard that the SRE raised the height of the trailer, and I'm already at 13' 6". I asked her to verify what the SRE would do to my height, and this was her response after she check with the engineers:

"
                      The SRE would raise you over legal limit then, so that isn’t a good option.

Can you let me know what your tire pressure is? If you have any photos of the rig hooked up with the truck and trailer, that would be helpful. I want to see how level everything looks. We are going to do our best to get this one figured out."

Well I gotta say they're trying hard to get this thing figured out. I'll definitely give them an "E" for effort. I sent the requested info, along with pics of the suspension, but haven't heard back. She's on vacation till next week.

I am wondering if it's the lighter rigs like the Imagine and Reflection that get improvement from the CRE suspension. Could it be that the heavier Solitude line is too much for the CRE? Just wondering. . .

-Steve

Somerset, WI

Comment

Steve - I wouldn't think the weight of the rig would make much difference. The CRE is rated for 8K pounds. The SRE for 7K. Also, Solitudes and Momentums have been equipped with the LCI EquaFlex system for years which is very similar technology to the CRE.

Putting on my engineering hat, It would be interesting for someone to mount some accelerometers in a trailer before and after a suspension change to see what the effect is on G forces while going down the road.

Jim
                        Jim and Ginnie

Comment

Originally posted by TucsonJim View Post

Putting on my engineering hat, It would be interesting for someone to mount some accelerometers in a trailer before and after a suspension change to see what the effect is on G forces while going down the road.

Jim
                          Agree. Those videos they have of the suspension at work while traveling aren't very useful because they don't measure anything. What you really want is a measure vertical forces and forces fore and aft. Like I said in the first post, I think I'm getting more chucking with the MorRyde compared to the EquaFlex. I remember thinking when I changed the equalizers out that the CRE looked prettier than the EquaFlex, but not more substantial. Unfortunately I sent the EquaFlex equalizers to the recycling bin. Might have made a mistake.

I can report that after I did a decent repair on the valances that fell off, they've stayed put. So have the refer double doors.

We just drove over Interstate 94/90 from Minneapolis to Racine Wisconsin on Lake Michigan today. Lots of rough road all day, and nothing out of sorts inside.

-Steve
                          Somerset, WI

Comment

m
                            Originally posted by steve&renee View Post

Agree. Those videos they have of the suspension at work while traveling aren't very useful because they don't measure anything. What you really want is a measure vertical forces and forces fore and aft. Like I said in the first post, I think I'm getting more chucking with the MorRyde compared to the EquaFlex. I remember thinking when I changed the equalizers out that the CRE looked prettier than the EquaFlex, but not more substantial. Unfortunately I sent the EquaFlex equalizers to the recycling bin. Might have made a mistake.

I can report that after I did a decent repair on the valances that fell off, they've stayed put. So have the refer double doors.

We just drove over Interstate 94/90 from Minneapolis to Racine Wisconsin on Lake Michigan today. Lots of rough road all day, and nothing out of sorts inside.

-Steve

This motion sensor is dirt cheap, but it might be accurate enough to get some before and after measurements. It pairs with a phone via Bluetooth.

https://smile.amazon.com/WT901BLECL-...6564218&sr=8-1

Jim
                            Jim and Ginnie

Comment

Working...
                            X