Announcement

Collapse

Need help?

Please include the year, make and model of your GDRV ("2019 Reflection 315RLTS") along with the make and model of the component with the issue ("Dometic RM1350 refrigerator", "Furrion FMCM15-BL microwave", etc) in your question.
See more
See less

RV Tire Balancing

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • RV Tire Balancing

    I am a (soon to be) new RV owner - Transcend 32BHS - but this is a general question. I haul a 12klb trailer for work and have had discussions around trailer tire balancing. Should it be balanced and how? This discussion involves the use of balancing beads. I “static balance” - no load and check for a heavy side, the rest is a educated guess. As an aside, I check all tire pressures and temps each fill up on the road.

  • #2
    Originally posted by subsurfcpo View Post
    I am a (soon to be) new RV owner - Transcend 32BHS - but this is a general question. I haul a 12klb trailer for work and have had discussions around trailer tire balancing. Should it be balanced and how? This discussion involves the use of balancing beads. I “static balance” - no load and check for a heavy side, the rest is a educated guess. As an aside, I check all tire pressures and temps each fill up on the road.
    Normally a travel trailer's tires are not balanced.

    I've used balance beads on my motorcycle and they worked well, but when getting the tires changed I get complaints as the beads go everywhere. I've also seen firsthand how they can clump due to moisture condensation. Finally, if using an internal TPMS sensor you definitely don't want to use beads.

    My .02: more potential for trouble than potential gain. YMMV
    Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

    Howard, 2017 Ford F-350 DRW, '19 315RLTSPlus

    Comment


    • #3
      I recently changed the tires on our 29RS and had them balanced and have not felt or seen any difference. I do not have a strong opinion either way. Also on our previous TT the tires were never balanced , 6 years.

      Brian
      Brian & Michelle
      2018 Reflection 29RS Oct.17 build date, EMS-HW50C , Lippert Remote
      2015 Chevy 3500HD CC LB Duramax , Reese Elite 18K

      Comment


      • #4
        I never noticed any problems with the original Westlakes that came with the trailer and were not balanced. I ran these for two years and about 10,000 miles. When I replaced these with Maxxis tires, dynamic balancing was part of the installation. I have run these for three years and about 15,000 miles. I can’t see or feel any difference. The amount of weight needed to balance each wheel/tire is very small.

        Rob
        Cate & Rob
        (with Border Collies Molly & Angel and their kitty Gracie)
        2015 Reflection 303RLS
        2014 Ecoboost F150 with Heavy Duty Payload Package
        Aylmer, Ontario, Canada

        Comment


        • #5
          Whatever else, balancing the tires on your rig cannot do any harm and "may" do some good. Stay away from beads for sure. I see no problem having tires balanced when they are changed but I wouldn't pull them just to get it done.
          2017 310GK

          Comment


          • #6
            I felt the same way about the beads. One of my co-workers swears by them, but I was skeptical. The moisture problem alone is a disqualifier. As for balancing, I get the same answer all-around - "it can't hurt, but why do it". I teach maintenance courses and preach against maintenance induced failures - or failures caused by unneeded and unscheduled maintenance. Thanks for the input.

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by subsurfcpo View Post
              I felt the same way about the beads. One of my co-workers swears by them, but I was skeptical. The moisture problem alone is a disqualifier. As for balancing, I get the same answer all-around - "it can't hurt, but why do it". I teach maintenance courses and preach against maintenance induced failures - or failures caused by unneeded and unscheduled maintenance. Thanks for the input.
              If it ain't broke don't fix it? lol I'm a retired USAF aircraft maintainer (30 years) so I'm in lock-step with your thought process.
              Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

              Howard, 2017 Ford F-350 DRW, '19 315RLTSPlus

              Comment


              • #8
                When you buy a new set of tires you get them balanced for free. Why wouldn't you? How is a balanced set of tires going to cause you problems? Even if one throws a weight, most of you say it doesn't matter anyway.

                OTOH, I wouldn't pull the wheels just to balance them.
                2017 310GK

                Comment


                • #9
                  Balanced or unbalanced you're not going to feel that up in your truck. If you rode in the trailer (not suggesting you do that) is where you are going to feel the difference. If you've ever ridden in a car with an unbalanced wheel you can feel the shimmy. Our TT's and 5rs get bounced around enough already why would you want to introduce more shimmy from an unbalanced tire.

                  I bought a set of centramatic wheel Balancers for my TT. Same concept as balance beads but contained in a oil bath in an external ring. Gives you the benefits of balance beads with out the negative aspects of beads.

                  Charles and Susan
                  2018 Nissan Titan SV 4x4 crew cab
                  Roadmaster Active Suspension HD
                  Equalizer w/ 1,000 lb bars
                  2020 Imagine 2600RB

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by ckreef View Post
                    Balanced or unbalanced you're not going to feel that up in your truck. If you rode in the trailer (not suggesting you do that) is where you are going to feel the difference. If you've ever ridden in a car with an unbalanced wheel you can feel the shimmy. Our TT's and 5rs get bounced around enough already why would you want to introduce more shimmy from an unbalanced tire.

                    I bought a set of centramatic wheel Balancers for my TT. Same concept as balance beads but contained in a oil bath in an external ring. Gives you the benefits of balance beads with out the negative aspects of beads.
                    They sell those for my Goldwing, too--interesting--never considered them for the trailer. Sure'd be nice to see evidence (beyond anecdotal) of their effectiveness on a TT.
                    Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

                    Howard, 2017 Ford F-350 DRW, '19 315RLTSPlus

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by howson View Post

                      They sell those for my Goldwing, too--interesting--never considered them for the trailer. Sure'd be nice to see evidence (beyond anecdotal) of their effectiveness on a TT.
                      I've seen the online videos of them balancing out a tire and reducing shake compared to the same unbalanced tire. Here's my theory:

                      A balanced tire will never hurt anything but an unbalanced tire can. I live in GA with red clay mud. Get some of that up in your trucks rim and you'll feel the effects of an unbalanced tire (see the movie - My Cousin Vinny - LOL). I spent enough on the TT another $200 to ensure balanced tires seemed like a no brainer to me.
                      Charles and Susan
                      2018 Nissan Titan SV 4x4 crew cab
                      Roadmaster Active Suspension HD
                      Equalizer w/ 1,000 lb bars
                      2020 Imagine 2600RB

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by howson View Post

                        They sell those for my Goldwing, too--interesting--never considered them for the trailer. Sure'd be nice to see evidence (beyond anecdotal) of their effectiveness on a TT.
                        While I'm a fan of balancing, I have yet to see any empirical evidence that these solutions are any better than a good static balance.
                        2017 310GK

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by JeffC View Post

                          While I'm a fan of balancing, I have yet to see any empirical evidence that these solutions are any better than a good static balance.
                          I agree not any better than static balancing. But better than unbalanced.
                          Charles and Susan
                          2018 Nissan Titan SV 4x4 crew cab
                          Roadmaster Active Suspension HD
                          Equalizer w/ 1,000 lb bars
                          2020 Imagine 2600RB

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Why would someone buy a set of tires and not have them spin balanced? That's like saying why check the air pressure after you seat the bead. If for any reason at all , it would be to make sure the tire wasn’t built severely out of balance or out of round. A good tire tech would know this in a few seconds after putting the tire on the machine. In this day and age it’s a very simple procedure.
                            A balanced tire will wear more evenly and run cooler and will cause less vibration to everything in and on your RV.
                            Chip
                            2021 Reflection 260RD
                            2015 Ram 3500 cummins, dually, AISN tranny

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              When I got my 220RK I had the wheels pulled and balanced (Discount tire) - one took a lot of weight. Somewhere out there is a good UTube vid on the effects of balancing on the inside of a trailer. Before you could see things rattling and vibrating - a stead vibration. They balanced and drove the same road - much smother with no constant vibration.

                              Now a few year back I bought a PJ deck over 23' goose neck trailer for my hay business. Its a 16K trailer. Between ABQ NM where I got it to the exit for US550 to Durango it bounced and rattled badly going down the interstate. I thought something was wrong, so I pulled into a tire center and asked. They looked it over and even pulled a tire to check balance. Wow was it off. So the pulled all 5 and balanced them up, and in some cases had to spin the tire on the steel rim. Once done the trailer pulled beautifully - no more bouncing or rattling. Folks like me with horse trailers almost always balance the tires. Easier on the horses - a good thing. Some come balanced from the factory.
                              Last edited by Yoda; 08-10-2020, 10:08 AM.
                              2018 Reflection 150 Series 220RK 5th wheel. Reese R20 Titan hitch, Steadyfast system, 2004 F350 King Ranch dually

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X