No announcement yet.

RV Tire Balancing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'm not an expert on RV life (actually a newbie) but I am an expert in Predictive Technologies which includes vibration analysis and, as I mentioned, I travel cross-country with my utility trailer loaded with training equipment. Vibration kills EVERYTHING in the trailer, on the trailer, and in the workplace. It increases the likelihood of a fatigue failure (think about constantly bending a coat hanger) of any rigid material (metal or plastic). This is why you check the wheel lug torque regularly. I carry hydraulic trainers. They are full scaled-down HPU's (hydraulic power units) with pump, tank, accumulator, etc. that weigh about 900 lbs each. On one trip the entire top plate vibrated off just from the trailer vibration. I have since installed Nord-Loc locking washers on all my trainers. They maintain a stable clamping load after torquing.

I said all of that to say this and echo the comments regarding empirical and not anecdotal evidence.

In the end, the correct answer could still be - start with quality equipment for the rotating assembly, check temps, pressures, and torques. Perform routine maintenance to check wear, brakes, and bearing lube.

I do have a design question that will cross all platforms. Where does Grand Design get the trailer wheels, are they forged or machined and to they balance those to any standard (G3, G4)?
    2016 Chevy 2500HD Duramax LTZ LB, 2020 Transcend 32BHS, Gainesville FL

Comment

The wheels are provided by Lions Head , and made in China. I recently replaced my tires , and had them balanced earlier this year and seen no signs of any type of balancing of the wheel. I believe that they are cast wheels and then machined. There are plenty of better quality wheels on the market but RV manufactures seem to use the cheapest parts available throughout the RV.

Brian
      Brian & Michelle
      2018 Reflection 29RS
      2022 Chevy 3500HD

Comment

A factor in “on road” balance/vibration is that trailer wheels are still located on the hub by the bolt circle. Many vehicles now locate the wheel on a center pilot hub. All modern dynamic balance machines locate on the center of the wheel. It might be possible to still fined someone to balance on the bolt circle but this is old technology. The bolt circle and the wheel center should be concentric on a machined wheel . . . but, a small difference is possible.

Rob
        Cate & Rob
        (with Border Collies Molly & Angel + Kitties Hazel & Elsie)
        2015 Reflection 303RLS
        2022 F350 Diesel CC SB SRW Lariat
        Bayham, Ontario, Canada

Comment

Working...
        X