TPMS Sensor Failed

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• TPMS Sensor Failed

One of the four sensors installed on the trailer from the Ford Trailer Camera and Tire Pressure Monitoring System {TPMS) Kit has failed. According to PartsID the battery cannot be changed in the sensor. Anyone know if that's not true? If the battery can be changed, how?

Second, there's an aftermarket substitute (ACDelco part # TPMS173K) that is much less expensive than the OEM Ford part. https://www.carid.com/acdelco/profes...eid=1131563964

Note my truck is a 2017 so if yours is a different year verify, verify, verify!

It's a nuisance that I'll have to have the tire removed from the wheel to get this fixed. I wonder if there are any screw-on sensors that will work with the Ford module (instead of using the internal sensors). I'll have to do some researching and even (gasp!) get on a Ford forum to get an answer to that question (unless someone here knows!).

Howard
    Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

Howard & Francine
    2017 Ford F-350 DRW, '19 315RLTSPlus

Originally posted by howson View Post
    One of the four sensors installed on the trailer from the Ford Trailer Camera and Tire Pressure Monitoring System {TPMS) Kit has failed. According to PartsID the battery cannot be changed in the sensor. Anyone know if that's not true? If the battery can be changed, how?

Second, there's an aftermarket substitute (ACDelco part # TPMS173K) that is much less expensive than the OEM Ford part. https://www.carid.com/acdelco/profes...eid=1131563964

Note my truck is a 2017 so if yours is a different year verify, verify, verify!

It's a nuisance that I'll have to have the tire removed from the wheel to get this fixed. I wonder if there are any screw-on sensors that will work with the Ford module (instead of using the internal sensors). I'll have to do some researching and even (gasp!) get on a Ford forum to get an answer to that question (unless someone here knows!).

Howard
    Thats too bad, one of the reasons I liked the Ford system was the internal sensors and not having to replace the battery (supposedly for ten years). I have had mine in for a year an a half with no issues. I would imagine that the generic should work fine, should be similar to the TPMS used in cars themselves, but I do not know that for sure. Report back your findings (I know you will), I will be curious to know.
    Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

Neil Citro
    2018 Reflection 28BH Pepwave
    2019 F350 6.7L Long Bed Crew Cab

Comment

Before you make the change, make sure that the sensor broadcast frequency is the same. I had issues with the screw-on sensors mounted on my old TT which was pulled with my previous truck (RAM 2500) where the sensor frequency interfered with the truck TPMS in-wheel sensor readings.
      Mark & Ellen
      2020 Reflection 337RLS
      2019 RAM 3500 Mega Cab SRW

Comment

Originally posted by MAW7228 View Post
        Before you make the change, make sure that the sensor broadcast frequency is the same. I had issues with the screw-on sensors mounted on my old TT which was pulled with my previous truck (RAM 2500) where the sensor frequency interfered with the truck TPMS in-wheel sensor readings.
        Ugh...not sure how to do that, Mark. I checked with the retailer and told them exactly what I was replacing and referenced the Motorcraft part I'd found.(which I can't find now...getting tired). They recommended the ACDelco part.

Other than talking with a retailer who supposedly knows what they are talking about...how would I ensure the parts I ordered are correct? I've never tried, but hopefully I can get the truck to recognize the sensor outside of the tire? (I hope so...would really stink to get it installed and then not work right.)

Howard & Francine

Comment

The best way to start is to verify from the truck manufacturer what operating frequency is used in the truck's TPMS. They are two main operating frequencies encountered with most systems: 315 MHz and 433 MHz. Then check with the planned RV TPMS manufacturer of the system you plan to install. They all document their operating frequencies in their specs and user manuals found online. For example, DIll and Tuson systems operate at different bands around 433MHz (which is most common). After much review, I ended up installing the Dill TPMS and have had no issues with interference with my RAM 3500 tow vehicle. I also installed the signal booster which helps to mitigate any possible interference with other RF signals.
          Mark & Ellen
          2020 Reflection 337RLS
          2019 RAM 3500 Mega Cab SRW

Comment

I believe the GM sensors are running at 433 MHz.

Jim

Comment

Originally posted by MAW7228 View Post
              The best way to start is to verify from the truck manufacturer what operating frequency is used in the truck's TPMS. They are two main operating frequencies encountered with most systems: 315 MHz and 433 MHz. Then check with the planned RV TPMS manufacturer of the system you plan to install. They all document their operating frequencies in their specs and user manuals found online. For example, DIll and Tuson systems operate at different bands around 433MHz (which is most common). After much review, I ended up installing the Dill TPMS and have had no issues with interference with my RAM 3500 tow vehicle. I also installed the signal booster which helps to mitigate any possible interference with other RF signals.
              Mark,
              Just a note to say "thanks" for the heads-up to check frequencies. The replacements I received are 315MHz. The trailer, from everything I can find, is 433MHz. This thread was especially helpful: https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1...new-tires.html

Dang it. At least I found this out before removing the tires and installing the new (wrong) sensor. Again--thank you.

Howard

Howard & Francine

Comment

Limited applicability but I'll document it nonetheless.

First off, I learned the difference between a Direct vs Indirect TPMS system. (My Ford uses Direct for both the truck and trailer.) If curious, info here: https://www.schradertpms.com/en/driv...indirect-tpms#

The gadget shown below worked great on my '17 Ford F-350 SuperDuty's TPMS system to perform the "relearn" process. Using the tool was much easier than letting air out of the tires (and then filling them back up). Only issue I had was getting the sensor close enough to the dually's inside wheel/tire valve stem (both sides). Took some finger contortions to get the device close enough to the valve stem and push the button at the same time, but it is possible.

Click image for larger version

Name:	315MHz.JPG
Views:	316
Size:	21.7 KB
ID:	34081

Unfortunately the gadget didn't work on the trailer's TPMS. That tells me the truck's TPMS (and the JDIAG above) is a 315MHz system. The trailer's TPMS uses 433MHz sensors.

So...I ordered another gadget. The one below will transmit on both 315 AND 433MHz. (Again, letting air out of the trailer tires is a nuisance--the tool, if it works, will make it very easy to do the "relearn" process after a tire rotation.)

Name:	Both 315 and 433MHz.JPG
Views:	243
Size:	15.8 KB
ID:	34082

I'll report if the JDIAG 2IN1 works with both truck and trailer. It should arrive on Sunday.

Howard

Howard & Francine

Comment

Name:	Both 315 and 433MHz.JPG
Views:	243
Size:	15.8 KB
ID:	34082

Rats--it doesn't work with the trailer's TPMS. I tried both the GM and Ford setting. No joy.

Howard & Francine

Comment

Wierd--the sensor was in two pieces. When I took the Sailun tire off the trailer I could hear it rattling around inside the tire.

The reason I'm confused is the sensor worked after the tire was installed. I'm guessing the tire installer damaged the sensor and it finally completely failed.

So $80 later (part + install) I have an operational sensor in the tire again (sigh).

Name:	20201110_185138 (Large).jpg
Views:	239
Size:	61.0 KB
ID:	34501

Name:	20201110_185016 (Large).jpg
Views:	215
Size:	41.3 KB
ID:	34499

Name:	20201110_185036 (Large).jpg
Views:	210
Size:	32.1 KB
ID:	34500

How it's supposed to fit together.

Name:	20201110_185111 (Large).jpg
Views:	209
Size:	81.2 KB
ID:	34502

Howard & Francine

Comment

Working...
                    X