Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

GD floor shields over tires - can we get dimensions and part numbers?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GD floor shields over tires - can we get dimensions and part numbers?

Is there any way to get dimensions on the stock GD floor shields they are installing above the tires on the new units. I was wondering if any would fit my Reflection 220RK. Do folks know how thick they are too? Might save me some effort. Can folks that have them take a few photos of how they were installed?
    Thanks
    Keith
    2018 Reflection 150 Series 220RK 5th whee, Star White 2022 F350 King Ranch CC Long bed (HAL) (CCC 4062lbs), B&W 25K OEM Companion,. SteadyFast system, Trailer reverse lights, rear receiver spare tire holder, storage tube, sumo springs, Victron MultiPlus 12/120/3000, Solar, Custom 6K axles upgrade, and other modifications.

Yoda Keith,

It would also be nice to know if they install straight up or if the skirt has to be removed? I sort of expect the latter. Also how are they sealed? Water intrusion above the plates would not be good.

Jim

Comment

Originally posted by Yoda View Post
      Is there any way to get dimensions on the stock GD floor shields they are installing above the tires on the new units. I was wondering if any would fit my Reflection 220RK. Do folks know how thick they are too? Might save me some effort. Can folks that have them take a few photos of how they were installed?
      Thanks
      Keith
      Here is what I found on the GD site under Owner Support / Parts Lookup for my 2021 Imagine 2970RL. I do know these are on my trailer. Next time I have it home I'll take pictures. If you can't read the drawing - they are 14-1/2" wide x 75" long and have a 1-1/2" lip on one edge. They are 28 gauge galvanized steel.

Mike & Lisa
      Central Florida
      2021 Imagine 2970RL
      1996 Chevy K3500 Crew SRW 7.4L Gas

Comment

Here is what I have made.
        Click image for larger version

Name:	Wheel well.jpg
Views:	472
Size:	62.9 KB
ID:	51618

I had to make 4 pieces , 2 per side. There is a support that is in between the tires. It took a little measuring but they fit well , sorry no installed picture. The angles point down to help with water run off. I used stainless screws with silicone sealant. I did not seal between this part and the floor , did not think it was necessary. Made from 1/16" thick aluminum. One trip and they have not fallen off yet.

Brian
        Brian & Michelle
        2018 Reflection 29RS
        2022 Chevy 3500HD

Comment

Originally posted by OurNewEra View Post

Here is what I found on the GD site under Owner Support / Parts Lookup for my 2021 Imagine 2970RL. I do know these are on my trailer. Next time I have it home I'll take pictures. If you can't read the drawing - they are 14-1/2" wide x 75" long and have a 1-1/2" lip on one edge. They are 28 gauge galvanized steel.
          I believe that this is the same material as the EGS backer that is used throughout the RV in the walls where items will be attached. This material is only .015" thick.

Brian
          Brian & Michelle
          2018 Reflection 29RS
          2022 Chevy 3500HD

Comment

All good points!

OurNewEra Pictures of the factory installation would be a great reference.

Country Campers I would agree that EGS material seems rather "light weight" for this purpose.

Guest Trapping water above this sheet will be difficult to prevent and could increase deterioration of the OSB floor above.

A while ago, someone (and I apologize that I can't remember who) posted this picture of a trailer fender inserted above the tires. I like this idea!
            If someone can remember who posted this picture, please link them into this discussion.

Rob

Name:	IMG_1011.jpg
Views:	536
Size:	100.7 KB
ID:	51622
            Cate & Rob
            (with Border Collies Molly & Angel + Kitties Hazel & Elsie)
            2015 Reflection 303RLS
            2022 F350 Diesel CC SB SRW Lariat
            Bayham, Ontario, Canada

Comment

Here are the pictures you requested Cate&Rob The best I could do without putting the slide out. This is on the curb/door side under a rack & pinion living room slide.

Mike & Lisa
              Central Florida
              2021 Imagine 2970RL

Comment

OurNewEra
                Thanks Mike!

It is obvious that this sheet of metal was installed before the floor structure was fastened to the frame rails. There does not look to be any type of seal preventing water from getting between this sheet and the floor structure above.

Rob
                Cate & Rob
                (with Border Collies Molly & Angel + Kitties Hazel & Elsie)
                2015 Reflection 303RLS
                2022 F350 Diesel CC SB SRW Lariat
                Bayham, Ontario, Canada

Comment

Here is an aluminum tandem trailer fender. I like the radiused edges to aid in moving water away from the top (similar to brian's use of a brake) although in the rain water would be everywhere. If tire clearance permits, the fender could be spaced from the floor a bit to allow for air to dry out the area above the fender.

https://www.trailer-fenders.com/tand...railer-fender/

Jim

Comment

Originally posted by Cate&Rob View Post
                    OurNewEra
                    Thanks Mike!

It is obvious that this sheet of metal was installed before the floor structure was fastened to the frame rails. There does not look to be any type of seal preventing water from getting between this sheet and the floor structure above.

Rob
                    That is correct. In the third picture the left side of the sheet is between the frame rail and floor. In the parts lookup picture the 1-1/2 lip is so they can easily position it during the build.

The end edge of the sheet is not sealed at all.
                    Mike & Lisa
                    Central Florida
                    2021 Imagine 2970RL

Comment

Is it possible the wood in this area is treated?

Jim

Comment

Originally posted by Cate&Rob View Post
                        All good points!

OurNewEra Pictures of the factory installation would be a great reference.

Country Campers I would agree that EGS material seems rather "light weight" for this purpose.

Guest Trapping water above this sheet will be difficult to prevent and could increase deterioration of the OSB floor above.

A while ago, someone (and I apologize that I can't remember who) posted this picture of a trailer fender inserted above the tires. I like this idea!
                        If someone can remember who posted this picture, please link them into this discussion.

Rob

Name:	IMG_1011.jpg
Views:	536
Size:	100.7 KB
ID:	51622
                        Iam going to look at the fender option, might be able to hang mud flaps from them.

Comment

Working...
                        X