Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Kodiak Disc Brake Engagement Delay--Is This Normal?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Jumping on this thread to ask a related question. On my 2017 GMC with EOH Titan Brakerite-Kodiac setup I notice that unless there is TV movement there is no activation of the trailer hydraulic pump. I can hear the actuator spool up at even a very slow speed (3mph or so) but when stopped there is no activation. My concern would be on a steep incline with a car right behind me if the rig should roll back it may hit the car behind me while transitioning from brake pedal to accelerator pedal. (The truck has active hill assist feature so not sure if this would happen) Im curious if other EOH users (Ford,Ram ect) have noticed the same or does their brake controller in TV activate the actuator to a certain degree even while stopped and holding still applying break pedal?
    Last edited by Hwktlg8; 10-28-2019, 08:57 PM.
    Ryan and Ali
    2017 377 MBS-R- 2017 GMC Denali
    Disc brakes, Morryde suspension upgrades many more
    Pullrite Superglide 18k

Comment

howson
      Hi Howard,
      If you can “flatten” any high loops of brake hose (even temporarily) this will help the brake bleed process. The air bubbles collect at the highest points. Also, short blast of high flow through the bleed screw will help to “blow out” the air bubbles. A gentle cracking open the bleed screw will allow the fluid to pass under the air bubbles and not carry them out the bleed screw. Don’t be afraid to pump through a gallon of brake fluid . . . it is not that expensive. I would never purposely pour it out on the ground . . . but, brake fluid is water soluble if you spill any. And, don’t be tempted to reuse brake fluid that has been through the system once . . . it may have microscopic air bubbles that you can’t see.

Rob
      Cate & Rob
      (with Border Collies Molly & Angel + Kitties Hazel & Elsie)
      2015 Reflection 303RLS
      2022 F350 Diesel CC SB SRW Lariat
      Bayham, Ontario, Canada

Comment

Hwktlg8

Hi Ryan & Ali,

The truck typically has enough braking ability to control the trailer at low speed with no assist from the trailer brakes. For the steep incline situation that you describe, put your left foot on the brake pedal before moving your right foot to the accelerator. Then you can release the brakes as the engine power pulls the rig forward.

Rob
        Cate & Rob
        (with Border Collies Molly & Angel + Kitties Hazel & Elsie)
        2015 Reflection 303RLS
        2022 F350 Diesel CC SB SRW Lariat
        Bayham, Ontario, Canada

Comment

Hanson,

I have the same setup as you do. Kodiak brakes with the Carlise Hydrostat actuator. I install this setup on two different trailers to date. A two axle Raptor toy hauler and the three axle Momentum. I have use the electric over hydraulic setting on each trailer. I never notice the any delay until I got the triple axle and much heavier Momentum. The delay is only a half second and maybe a full second (or so it seems) when you have to get on the brakes hard and quick. When using the exhaust brake and under normal braking I have never notice a delay.

I too am believing bleeding the brakes is the answer to your problem. When bleeding mine I have my wife pull the breakaway switch and put the pin back in when I yell out to her. This works out to be a simple and effective way of doing it with the acutator. It's much, much better than having her in the truck pumping the brakes. Also saves a lot of arguing about who can hear and who cannot.
          2018 Momentum 376TH
          2016 RAM 3500 Duall
          y

Comment

Note: For a thread specifically about the bleed process, see https://gdrvowners.com/forum/operati...doing-it-right

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I think I can definitely state it's much better after the bleed.

I really dislike having to write this, but I found a couple of very disappointing electrical items while reviewing the installation. First, while testing the actuator suddenly stopped working. I wasn't anywhere near the wiring when it stopped. What I found was the ground (white) wire had literally just fallen out of the crimped connector. I had to install a new connector that was crimped properly. Glad that didn't happen on the road!

I also found several of the nuts holding the positive 12v lines on the self-resetting circuit breakers loose. I could easily spin the nuts with my fingers. I went over all of them to ensure they were secured.
            Last edited by howson; 11-08-2019, 08:58 PM.
            Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

2017 Ford F-350 DRW, '19 315RLTSPlus

Comment

Note: Had another issue that I found during the bleed process--see https://gdrvowners.com/forum/operati...6825-no-brakes for that thread!

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Today I went to road-test the brakes and the actuator didn't "sound" right. What I mean by that is in the past the actuator would make a LOT of noise while stopped with the truck brake applied. Today it was not--something was different. Pulling the emergency trailer breakaway cable or manually engaging the truck's brake controller resulted in the normal, full-response from the Hydrastar. Stepping on the brake resulted in a very weak response. The Hydrastar was running with the truck brake applied (at 0 mph), but very, very softly.

The following is an opinion--I don't have any credentials or experience to back up what I'm writing about.

After phone calls to Hydrastar and some more troubleshooting I determined what I am hearing (and feeling) from the actuator with the brake applied at 0 mph is what it should have done from the beginning. With the corrected ground and bled brakes it's like I have a whole new system on my trailer.

Much easier to show than explain:

If someone else has a '17 or later SuperDuty with electric over hydraulic brakes, I'd really like to see a comparison with the readings from your truck.
              Last edited by howson; 11-08-2019, 08:59 PM.
              Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

2017 Ford F-350 DRW, '19 315RLTSPlus

Comment

Working...
              X