No Brakes!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• No Brakes!

Went to road test the trailer today and had no brakes. (For those that are new, reading this thread might help: https://gdrvowners.com/forum/operati...is-this-normal)

The Hydrastar wasn't running at all--nothing. Didn't matter if I was stepping on the brake, manually actuating the brake controller, or if I pulled the emergency brake cable. No workee.

After checking the obvious (power, ground, etc) I thought, "What was the last thing you did yesterday?" That last task was add fluid. So I checked and sure enough the reservoir wasn't as full as it should have been so I added more new brake fluid. I then pulled the emergency brake cable and it worked!

I was highly suspicious, though, so I called Hydrastar and sure enough the technician assured me the fluid level had nothing to do with whether the actuator turned on (or not). A coincidence.

So while talking to the Hydrastar technician I commented that in the manual it stated the ground wire must be attached to the tow vehicle's 7-pin ground wire--no exceptions. Here's a clip from the manual:

Click image for larger version  Name:	Manual.JPG Views:	0 Size:	69.1 KB ID:	6826

Take a look at the picture below. The arrow is pointing to the white ground wire. This installation of the ground on the Hydrastar's mount is not correct per the manual. (The pic was taken while my trailer was still in MORryde's maintenance bay.)

Click image for larger version  Name:	00 Actuator Ground From MORryde.JPG Views:	0 Size:	99.2 KB ID:	6827

So how did I fix it? As many of you know, the grounds on our trailer are bunched together with a wire nut. There are also grounds together with a wire nut in the steel enclosure. The picture below was taken way before the Hydrastar was installed.

Click image for larger version  Name:	01 Actuator Ground from MORryde.JPG Views:	0 Size:	130.8 KB ID:	6828

So what I did was butt-splice the white ground wire on the Hydrastar (with a black wire--all I had!), added connectors to all of the grounds held together by that blue wire nut and then put them all on a stud. I also butt-spliced the grounds under the steel enclosure. (I'll eventually replace all of this with a wire junction box like TucsonJim and several others have done.)

Click image for larger version  Name:	02 Actuator Ground from MORryde.JPG Views:	0 Size:	113.4 KB ID:	6829

Tested everything and it works, so hopefully now it will stay fixed.

Note: I talked on the phone and have emailed Brian Hosinski (MORryde) this information.
    Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

Howard & Francine
    2017 Ford F-350 DRW, '19 315RLTSPlus

Great trouble-shooting and repair Howard. You're getting good at this stuff. Isn't it nice to be able to do it your self?

Jim
    Jim and Ginnie
    2024 Solitude 310GK - 2020 F350 Dually
    GDRV Technical Forum Moderator
    GDRV Rally Support Coordinator

Comment

Originally posted by TucsonJim View Post
      Great trouble-shooting and repair Howard. You're getting good at this stuff. Isn't it nice to be able to do it your self?

Jim
      Indeed--but sure wish it was installed right the first time!

I've always enjoyed troubleshooting. The airplane that everyone else was running away from, because they couldn't figure out why it wasn't working right, was the one I was walking towards. Applies to computer-related stuff, too.
      Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

Howard & Francine

Comment

Howard,

Would this have had some impact on the brake delay issue? Scary that these guys cannot properly install a brake system.

Jim

Comment

Originally posted by MidwestCamper View Post
          Howard,

Would this have had some impact on the brake delay issue? Scary that these guys cannot properly install a brake system.

Jim
          Unknown, but according to Hydrastar (I talked with them on the phone, too) an errant ground can cause a lot of issues. Hard to argue that point!

Howard & Francine

Comment

It would seem that MORryde could be reminded that "the devil is in the details". It is not good enough to supply quality components if you don't put them together correctly. I am reminded of the heavy duty shackle kit that I purchased from them a while back. Top quality shackle plates, wet bolts and bronze bushings.

But . . . while it is well understood that the wet bolt grease holes should be assembled at the 3 or 9 o'clock position for best greasing penetration, as received the wet bolts were pressed into the shackle plates with randomly positioned grease holes. I had to press the bolts from the plates, re-orient the grease holes and press the bolts back into the plates before installing. I did inform MORryde of this, but never heard anything back.

Rob
            Cate & Rob
            (with Border Collies Molly & Angel + Kitties Hazel & Elsie)
            2015 Reflection 303RLS
            2022 F350 Diesel CC SB SRW Lariat
            Bayham, Ontario, Canada

Comment

They have quality products but the details need to be double checked as Rob stated. Nice work Howard.

Jim

Comment

Working...
              X